• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• DJR

• Frosty

• ChrisF

Top Posters In This Topic

Today was the maiden voyage on the Trance at Thaba Trail.

What can I say about this machine. Its AWSOME.

She is very agile and twitchy for lack of a better word and turned rocks into pillowy marshmallows. The one thing that stuck me was how much she actually just want to go, and go fast. As soon as I let go of the brakes she just seems to roll forward faster than my Merida 26er and caught me by surprise once or twice.

The post (had some concerns on the height) was actually just right and didn't struggle with it at all. Maybe an experiment with a handlebar with a little more rise, like 20mm or 25mm would be good. if any one has one (780mm).

It did also realize that this bike has loads of knobs and dials on the suspension and dialing that in is going to take some time but today I used a good few features of it and worked out great.

One or two quick things on the components: The SRAM trigger to go up on the gears is pushed like the one to go down which I had to get used to as Shimano you pull the trigger to go up a gear. The brakes (Avid Trail 9) seem to have a lot more modulation that my Shimano XTs and takes a little getting used to but the hardest thing I have to QUICKLY get used to was the rear brake being on the left where I am used to it on the right, almost had an eina...lol

All in all, this bike is AMAZING and so different to my old bike. It also somehow felt so easy to pedal, just smother and nicer. It climbed so well also and that impressed me. Really loved the ride but fiddled a lot with all its bits...lol....she even tapped my butt when I was hanging off her back while going down a drop. Think I just need to learn to ride her properly as there is lots of bike. Felt strange being on a different bike as me and the Merida bonded for many years and knew each other well.

Right, now to the trail. YAFTA: I made that first section that I had not made before but stalled on two other sections that I made previously...BUT...did those sections a second time and managed to do them, chuffed. SAMUEL: Also struggled on one steep section...BUT...did it again and made it all.

post-57045-0-55960200-1471785306_thumb.jpg

post-57045-0-35279300-1471785333_thumb.jpg

post-57045-0-05581700-1471785366_thumb.jpg

Look brilliant. Glengesh Pass?

Mamore Gap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Wahoofish

Today was the maiden voyage on the Trance at Thaba Trail.

What can I say about this machine. Its AWSOME.

She is very agile and twitchy for lack of a better word and turned rocks into pillowy marshmallows. The one thing that stuck me was how much she actually just want to go, and go fast. As soon as I let go of the brakes she just seems to roll forward faster than my Merida 26er and caught me by surprise once or twice.

The post (had some concerns on the height) was actually just right and didn't struggle with it at all. Maybe an experiment with a handlebar with a little more rise, like 20mm or 25mm would be good. if any one has one (780mm).

It did also realize that this bike has loads of knobs and dials on the suspension and dialing that in is going to take some time but today I used a good few features of it and worked out great.

One or two quick things on the components: The SRAM trigger to go up on the gears is pushed like the one to go down which I had to get used to as Shimano you pull the trigger to go up a gear. The brakes (Avid Trail 9) seem to have a lot more modulation that my Shimano XTs and takes a little getting used to but the hardest thing I have to QUICKLY get used to was the rear brake being on the left where I am used to it on the right, almost had an eina...lol

All in all, this bike is AMAZING and so different to my old bike. It also somehow felt so easy to pedal, just smother and nicer. It climbed so well also and that impressed me. Really loved the ride but fiddled a lot with all its bits...lol....she even tapped my butt when I was hanging off her back while going down a drop. Think I just need to learn to ride her properly as there is lots of bike. Felt strange being on a different bike as me and the Merida bonded for many years and knew each other well.

Right, now to the trail. YAFTA: I made that first section that I had not made before but stalled on two other sections that I made previously...BUT...did those sections a second time and managed to do them, chuffed. SAMUEL: Also struggled on one steep section...BUT...did it again and made it all.

AWESOME, Alan. Really glad you've got your bike!

A note on the brakes. You can swap them around. Avids are good like that in that they are not side-specific like the Shimanos. If you're happier with Front/left and Right/Rear, then CHANGE IT TO THAT. I found out the hard way that it's not as easy to change as you think it is, even if you're ambidextrous (which I am)

AWESOME, Alan. Really glad you've got your bike!

A note on the brakes. You can swap them around. Avids are good like that in that they are not side-specific like the Shimanos. If you're happier with Front/left and Right/Rear, then CHANGE IT TO THAT. I found out the hard way that it's not as easy to change as you think it is, even if you're ambidextrous (which I am)

Thanks. Well thanks the thing, I'm really left handed so I think that I would like my dominant hand control the front.

Do I need to change the hoses around?

Thanks. Well thanks the thing, I'm really left handed so I think that I would like my dominant hand control the front.

Do I need to change the hoses around?

no. Just swap them over. Remove the front from the bars, remove the rear from the bars, switch. BAM. 

I'm right dominant but my right hand is more used to rear braking. Fine motor control ain't got nothing to do with it - it's whichever hand you're USED to using. 

no. Just swap them over. Remove the front from the bars, remove the rear from the bars, switch. BAM.

I'm right dominant but my right hand is more used to rear braking. Fine motor control ain't got nothing to do with it - it's whichever hand you're USED to using.

Just gone to.check now and can see you.can just swop. Thats so awsome. Looks like the clamp is also separate from the brake. Yup, used to the rear on the right.

Mmhhhh...told the wife this and she gave me the look that said, don't you dare think about doing that now...lol

Thanks Myles.

Just gone to.check now and can see you.can just swop. Thats so awsome. Looks like the clamp is also separate from the brake. Yup, used to the rear on the right.

Mmhhhh...told the wife this and she gave me the look that said, don't you dare think about doing that now...lol

Thanks Myles.

Just changed them over now, super easy????. The one hose slightly short but that is at a almost 90 degree turn so should be fine.

Left the house after 10:00 on Sunday, it was nice and cool so I thought I should be ok riding at that time. Beeeg mistake! Only did 22km but with 684m of climbing over rough terrain and the sun started to cook me. I was buggered the rest of the day and had a moerse headache that evening

post-80018-0-45185900-1471867162_thumb.jpg

Bivane river where it flows into the Pongola

Left the house after 10:00 on Sunday, it was nice and cool so I thought I should be ok riding at that time. Beeeg mistake! Only did 22km but with 684m of climbing over rough terrain and the sun started to cook me. I was buggered the rest of the day and had a moerse headache that evening

attachicon.gifDSC_0662.JPG

Bivane river where it flows into the Pongola

Beautiful scenery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am going up to the states (Free States) and Buffelspoort in October, can't wait for some dryer warmer, better weather than this silly, stupid, cold Cape weather.