From full suspension to hard tail?

matthewproctor

Used to ride years ago and really enjoyed it (mainly trail). I previously had a full suspension bike(s) - been through a few over the years.

Want to get back into cycling and was thinking of buying a hardtail (based on not wanting to break the bank, and relatively chilled riding).

Will I regret it? Will it kill my back and knees? Never ridden a hard tail before but thinking about picking up a 140mm Trek Roscoe.

Appreciate your input ;)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ridden a hardtail the last 10 years. 3 epics, 6 w2w, sani and I think you get the point. Absolutely love it. If you can get a titanium frame. Build it up. Not as fast downhill quite obvious but I love my bike. I wouldn't change it for love nor money. Do it. In my opinion a great decision. And a lot cheaper to run.

Hardtails are great, I enjoy my Rapide more than any bike I have ever had. Hardtails are good for building skills and picking smoother lines on the trails. You wont regret it. The new Roscoe is a very decent bike with lekker geo. Go for it

Less maintenance on a hard tail, and if you a mid fielder makes little difference. Climbing is awesome.

I too did the same journey; full suspension => hard tail.  Get some good maxxis trail tires if you want a softer ride and run lower pressure - comfort sorted.

Little story for context... Some time last year I snapped my Anthems frame (dual susp) and it wasn't insured or covered under warranty so I replaced it with a new Orbea Oiz (dual), lovely bike.

The parts off the Anthem were lying in a box so I needed to do something with them. I managed to pick up an old alum 29er Silverback hardtail frame from neighbour with the intention to build it up and then sell it on because I don't ride hardtails anymore (or so I thought) or need another bike. Once I'd built it up I needed to go test it out of course. Big mistake, I loved the ride the bike gave, so much so that it became my training bike and the Oiz my race day bike. Then last week I went and pulled the trigger on a Scale carbon hardtail that was on sale here on Bikehub.

Hardtail 29ers are very different to old 26ers, they're less harsh on the old bones and climb rather nicely as well. I don't think you'll regret starting out on one.

Before we get too emotional about riding hardtails you need to consider

1. The trails/area that you will be riding the bike on/in in future. What bike type would be most suitable?

2. A hardtail can't be described as "comfortable". The couch in my lounge is comfortable.

3. Your current fitness level and core strength will help a lot as you spend a lot more time out of the saddle on a HT. (a dropper post can be considered if tackling gnarly/ steep downhill sections.

Enjoyment of riding comes from two things that are linked. a) the joy of owning a rad bike and b) the joy of what that bike gives to you when you ride it (are you left with a smile on your face that only fades when you go to sleep at night). The smile can easily be resuscitated when you catch a glance of that wonderful pony just waiting in the stable to be ridden. Too many people buy bikes, just to ride. Let's understand that it's a love affair. Fall out of love and you'll suddenly realise that you're not riding much anymore.

Buy a bike that you love and I hope your affair lasts for a very long time 

I ride my HT a lot, I do like it. My advice for enjoyable HT riding, firstly you need a good fork. Second is that a dropper seatpost is really a great upgrade for a HT.

I suspect that the good HT is faster than the full sus in a race situation, although this is not easily provable in real life. The HT certainly climbs better, and the HT with the dropper is better on technical stuff than the full sus without a dropper.

8 hours ago, matthewproctor said:

… thinking about picking up a 140mm Trek Roscoe.

+1 vote for that, but for the more recent 29” versions (from 2022).  Loads of fun and with an upgrade of my skills can now rip it on mid- to more gnarly terrain. I also like that it’s more engaging.

Edited by justinafrika

The terrain you do will determine how comfortable the ride will be. I have a hardtail and i use it for everything. On rockier trails, you will be sore afterwards i can tell you that. But for most of the trails here, it’s more than sifficient. It’s also great for use in gravel races. So if you’re looking to do more chilled out riding, you cant go wrong.

I've just got a 853 steel hard tail which is fantastic. I'm coming off a 160mm / 150mm dual and I love it. It's got a nice slack 64 degree head angle, is nicely long and rolls on 35mm, 29'r wheels and 2.8 tyres. I can honestly say it's a great bit of kit and does most of Tokai with ease (the top DH line next to Cobra aside). Pedals great up hill, comes down awesome. I'm not going to be a disciple for everyone running out and getting one but it's a lot of fun, super capable, you can pedal it around easily and I don't feel I'm losing too much. I hadn't realise how much my big travel bike had numbed out everything and made it pretty boring. 

Last thing I'd say is that is for a steel HT. A very different beast to an alu' frame and with less refined geo. I'm yet to really find the limits of my steely's capabilities after going most of the TB, Tokai and Jonkers trails but I think I might have a very, very, different view on a lot of other alu' HTs that haven't been thought out. 

Edited by Dirt Tracker

3 hours ago, robbybzgo said:

Enjoyment of riding comes from two things that are linked. a) the joy of owning a rad bike and b) the joy of what that bike gives to you when you ride it (are you left with a smile on your face that only fades when you go to sleep at night). The smile can easily be resuscitated when you catch a glance of that wonderful pony just waiting in the stable to be ridden. Too many people buy bikes, just to ride. Let's understand that it's a love affair. Fall out of love and you'll suddenly realise that you're not riding much anymore.

These two points doesn't get the credit they deserve, I mean let's make it all about me for a second :oops::

I ride a dual (back issues) and I upgrade it every chance I get, I mean I recently acquired an XTR power meter, XTR 1x12 as well as XTR M9000 brakes. I have both Kashima front and rear with some decent Spank wheels, bar and stem. Ask me how many times I have been on my bike this year? 

I think it was only once thus far. Why? Yes there's lots of other reasons, bike jackings, don't like riding with others, mechanicals, the hassle of cleaning and maintaining the bike after each ride, I have a 13 month old etc etc etc. But, the truth of the matter is quite simple: why do I need to go outside with a fancy ass dual for 3-5 hours at a time if I can break myself on the indoor trainer for an hour at a time and have the exact same outcome without the mission that comes with riding outside :eek:

This mindset would've been different if I had a love affair with my bike. Then I would've been on it regardless of the excuses. Don't get me wrong, I do like my bike and I will ride it again in the future but for now I need to fall back into love with the riding experience :thumbup:

Buy the Trek Roscoe....

Seriously. Those things are inexpensive and they shred.

You can also dress it up when you want to down the line.

They are fun to ride, easy to maintain, easy to upgrade and the geo is great.

Get back on the bike, fall in love with riding bikes and go from there. Don't overthink it.

Leave the romantic sentiment to others and think of your bike as a tool. A tool to provide smiles, radness and stoke as well as a decent amount of health benefit. 

Nothing wrong with a HT and if you haven't ridden a full suspension for a long time, it will seem quite normal. I second the suggestion above for a Roscoe. Make sure it has a dropper post. Stun your buddies as you klap it through rock gardens that they struggle through with their seats up their bums. 🙂. Assuming you live where there are rock gardens and not KZN 🙂 

I Ride Both Merida Big 9 HT and Merida 120 Dual Suspension.

I enjoy Both but I Prefer the Dual Suspension.

Strava Consistently tells me that I'm Faster on the Dual.

On the HT I have to use the Attack Position more and then I can't pedal, It's As Simple as That.

The HT tends to occasionally Try to Throw me off the Saddle, The dual does not.

Cornering is more precise on the Dual.

Tail end Washouts happen on the HT Occasionally but not on the dual.

Climbing is noticeably better on the dual. etc etc.

If you only gonna have One Bike go for the Dual.

If you can have 2 bikes then have them Both.

Oh You can also have a road bike if you Want 3.

You may not be faster on a HT vs a duallie on a tech trail, but you certainly will feel like you are going twice the speed of light on a decent and end up with a smile at the end of the ride.

Of my most memorable rides have been on hardtails, and the absolutely best (As in the most flipping fun rides) were on a single speed hardtail.

Strava, never heard of her.