Why Motorcycles and Mountain Bikes Cost the Same

nathrix

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Most high-end Mountain bikes are hand made. Carbon layups and tech add to the cost. Motor bikes are for the most part assembled by robot on a production line thus volume/ labour etc bringing down the costs.

I would love to know the volume difference between the two. there seems to be way more MTB brands than motor cycles and MTB companies have much lower volumes so my guess is that there is no scale so unit prices are high.

One flaw in that video is comparing a pretty entry level motorbike to a pretty high end MTB. Otherwise I think they nailed it

3 hours ago, thebob said:

One flaw in that video is comparing a pretty entry level motorbike to a pretty high end MTB. Otherwise I think they nailed it

you make a good point, though the values were very similar. 

I guess they were alluding to a protour road bike will cost 10-15k Euro (a guess), whereas the top-end SBK bike will be significantly more - they said MotoGP, but those can't be bought by the public like a protour roadbike

2 hours ago, lechatnoir said:

you make a good point, though the values were very similar. 

I guess they were alluding to a protour road bike will cost 10-15k Euro (a guess), whereas the top-end SBK bike will be significantly more - they said MotoGP, but those can't be bought by the public like a protour roadbike

irrespective,....the selling price is not driven by the inputs into the two but the willingness of the buyer to part with their cash for a perceived benefit. It is clear that cyclists are incredibly gullible and ego driven consumer

11 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

irrespective,....the selling price is not driven by the inputs into the two but the willingness of the buyer to part with their cash for a perceived benefit. It is clear that cyclists are incredibly gullible and ego driven consumer

have you ever seen a coffee ride through Camps Bay? 

2 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

Same can be said for anyone buying a high end car

We cannot measure value in terms of price, and we cannot put it down to ego. 

People are unique, and driven by different things. Some people spend 80% of their money buying overpriced bikes, some people spend 80% of their lives working and making more money than they could ever spend in a lifetime.

Some people spend their lives surfing/mountain biking/trail running? Others live in their fancy apartments in CT overlooking Table Mountain or the Waterfront.

At the end of the day, we persue what gives us the most pleasure . Who are we to judge?

7 hours ago, sirmoun10goat said:

At the end of the day, we persue what gives us the most pleasure . Who are we to judge?

THIS