Riding alone most of the time, do you?

NotSoBigBen

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I passed a commuter on my ride, on Monday. We see each other occasionally and greet each other each time. At the next two red lights, we had the chance to chat a bit, compared to when both lights are green and we don't stop. He rides at about 20-25km/h, while I'm doing about 28-32km/h on that specific stretch of road (Ring Road East and Swartkoppies, if you know Al-berton).

• He rides 40km to work, and then 40Km back home, daily;
  • He found 947 was a walk in the park; albeit slow and steady. No need to walk the hills, just ride them at his pace;
  • He thought my time was very good, even though I thought my group position wasn't that good (perspective);
  • He was on a PnP-special MTB with normal work gear; I was on my groad bike (mamil), hopping on and off the tar, as the dirt tracks came into view; 
  • We both enjoy riding, and don't fear being on the roads.

2 minutes ago, Frosty said:

I passed a commuter on my ride, on Monday. We see each other occasionally and greet each other each time. At the next two red lights, we had the chance to chat a bit, compared to when both lights are green and we don't stop. He rides at about 20-25km/h, while I'm doing about 28-32km/h on that specific stretch of road (Ring Road East and Swartkoppies, if you know Al-berton).

• He rides 40km to work, and then 40Km back home, daily;
  • He found 947 was a walk in the park; albeit slow and steady. No need to walk the hills, just ride them at his pace;
  • He thought my time was very good, even though I thought my group position wasn't that good (perspective);
  • He was on a PnP-special MTB with normal work gear; I was on my groad bike (mamil), hopping on and off the tar, as the dirt tracks came into view; 
  • We both enjoy riding, and don't fear being on the roads.

This speaks hugely for consistency in training and volume.. not necessarily hoofing it the whole time whenever your butt hits the seat .. 🥳🤘🏻

I'll be honest I've only read a couple of comments but man some of these sound depressing.🤣

I ride on my own or with who ever wants to join. Usually we are a group of 3. But when I ride on my own I don't think about the dangers. I ride to free my mind, even yesterday on my own I had a encounter with a fallen tree and nature and the first thing I did was check my bike and then got upset that I scratched my new lid and need to buy a new pair of gloves 😂 but still had a lekker laugh at myself and enjoyed the rest of my ride.

If I'm attacked I'll cross that bridge when I get there (again) . This time of year I have a overflow of frustration so might be a good release 😂 

Only things I fear is running out of talent and snakes and definitely worst would be running out of talent at a snake 🐍 😂

3 hours ago, Mamil said:

I haven't read the while thread but how many of you, when riding alone, also slow down a little to catch enough breath to be breathing easy enough to give a cheerful hello when sailing past someone you've been chasing up the hill?

Conversely, who else, when being overtaken by someone, has to engage in an internal monologue about how you're there for a zone 2 ride and nothing more and maybe he's only riding 30km while you're doing 130 ....?

"Yea ... you must have just started .... let's see how you go after ??km ..."

"Today is my recovery ride ..."

4 hours ago, Mamil said:

I haven't read the while thread but how many of you, when riding alone, also slow down a little to catch enough breath to be breathing easy enough to give a cheerful hello when sailing past someone you've been chasing up the hill?

Conversely, who else, when being overtaken by someone, has to engage in an internal monologue about how you're there for a zone 2 ride and nothing more and maybe he's only riding 30km while you're doing 130 ....?

I have to say passing someone is much more fun than being passed 😂

If I hear gears behind me no matter how far I've gone I will put everything in not to be passed 🤣 had a couple of roadies the other day say "wow your a strong climber for a big guy", at the top of the hill from D'ville golf club to Durban road. I put in max effort as I was just going to Bloemendal for a drink much needed after that 😂

Also do most of my rides alone, there are no safety concerns on the roads around here. Motorists are generally well behaved and bike jacking / violence is unheard of. Occasionally I do enjoy riding with others but avoid large groups and wheel sucking, seen to many accidents in bunches which also tend to aggravate other road users.

Having limited time to ride means I want to ride when and where I want to without having to worry about someone else’s time constraints and route wishes, maybe a bit selfish…. But that’s how it is….

Safety on the mtb is an issue, falling off on a trail in the middle of a forest on your own is a risk I have to take with my (somewhat selfish) riding preference.

On 12/6/2023 at 3:31 PM, RobertWhitehead said:

I used to ride alone around 95% of the time, now I also ride alone on the trainer :D. I just can't see why I need to ride outdoors, especially here in PTA, all the routes have been cycled a billion times and the new added dangers on top of that just doesn't make sense anymore. 

And, as I recall, you are as lightskinned as a ghost and burn to the color of a tomatoe x prawn in no time when outdoors. That's not safe either, for your health.

You made the better indoor choice there, mate.

59 minutes ago, Scary Rider said:

And, as I recall, you are as lightskinned as a ghost and burn to the color of a tomatoe x prawn in no time when outdoors. That's not safe either, for your health.

You made the better indoor choice there, mate.

That's 100% correct, I get sun burnt whilst lying under bed :D

On 12/8/2023 at 4:53 PM, Me rida my bicycle said:

I'll be honest I've only read a couple of comments but man some of these sound depressing.🤣

I ride on my own or with who ever wants to join. Usually we are a group of 3. But when I ride on my own I don't think about the dangers. I ride to free my mind, even yesterday on my own I had a encounter with a fallen tree and nature and the first thing I did was check my bike and then got upset that I scratched my new lid and need to buy a new pair of gloves 😂 but still had a lekker laugh at myself and enjoyed the rest of my ride.

If I'm attacked I'll cross that bridge when I get there (again) . This time of year I have a overflow of frustration so might be a good release 😂 

Only things I fear is running out of talent and snakes and definitely worst would be running out of talent at a snake 🐍 😂

Not dissimilar to me but an incident did cause me to weigh up contingency plans a bit more carefully. On Saturday I got a puncture on the motorbike down in a hole at the base of a waterfall, not the greatest area, someone did lose their MTB there; the guide a the back of an MTB group. So I put in a can of blo job and hoped for the best which, luckily, just got me to the surfaced road; then it was call the home boss (luckily there was signal and the call answered; never certain with my boss) and beg for a trailer. I could have put in a new tube but warm day etc would have been a bit of an effort.

So have a plan and make sure all the pieces are oiled, maybe even well oiled.

I rode solo yesterday at Bloemendal for the first time in almost a year. Of course I managed to crash. Luckily the bike only has a minor scuff on the crank and I landed on probably the only patch of grass. This is what I get for coming in way too hot into a large rock roll. Pedal strike on the drop into a loss of steering resulting in a soft landing.

After that I decided coffee was a better idea and went down to the cafeteria. Along comes a lady who broke her collarbone after falling while jogging. That again made me realise why I don't ride solo anymore. 

Out of principle, i don’t ride places like Jonkers on my own anymore. If you fall and hurt yourself all the way up the 6th contour, it’s going to be a painful 1.5h long mission making your way down if you happen to be conscious lol. Been there, done that.
But i ride alone a lot…i just actively take less risk when i’m alone on the trails - just in case. Even the smallest feature you’ve done a million times can catch you out, even more so if you’re tired.
Leave the dumb sh!t for when you’re in the herd mentality and everybody is there to laugh at you when it goes wrong….and hopefully help you afterwards. Emotional damage is a lot easier to deal with than a broken body part and a heavy/broken bike a few km from civilisation.🤣 

Edited by MORNE

On 12/8/2023 at 6:14 PM, Me rida my bicycle said:

I have to say passing someone is much more fun than being passed 😂

If I hear gears behind me no matter how far I've gone I will put everything in not to be passed 🤣 had a couple of roadies the other day say "wow your a strong climber for a big guy", at the top of the hill from D'ville golf club to Durban road. I put in max effort as I was just going to Bloemendal for a drink much needed after that 😂

I always greet when I pass a rider, but will never ever greet a rider who overtakes me.