Riding alone most of the time, do you?

NotSoBigBen

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I rode solo yesterday at Bloemendal for the first time in almost a year. Of course I managed to crash. Luckily the bike only has a minor scuff on the crank and I landed on probably the only patch of grass. This is what I get for coming in way too hot into a large rock roll. Pedal strike on the drop into a loss of steering resulting in a soft landing.

After that I decided coffee was a better idea and went down to the cafeteria. Along comes a lady who broke her collarbone after falling while jogging. That again made me realise why I don't ride solo anymore. 

If nobody saw it, it never happened .... 😋

I also ride most of the time alone, even the route has a lot of people on it and very very seldom that you won't pass or be passed by another cyclist.

Actually nice , no talking nonsense and go at your pace, some days fast other days slow.

1 minute ago, TyronLab said:

That's the thing. If you're overtaking someone, even if you're at 190BPM and redlining, you have to compose yourself and give a very gentle and upbeat "good morning!" as if you're just out for a leisurely cruise.

Yip we all do that 😂🤣

8 minutes ago, TyronLab said:

That's the thing. If you're overtaking someone, even if you're at 190BPM and redlining, you have to compose yourself and give a very gentle and upbeat "good morning!" as if you're just out for a leisurely cruise.

even more so if its part way up a climb :) 

On 12/6/2023 at 3:31 PM, RobertWhitehead said:

I used to ride alone around 95% of the time, now I also ride alone on the trainer :D.

I need to amend my previous statement about riding on my own… most of my easy weekday rides are in a group. 😁😂🤪

And lots of people wave too

image.jpeg.a9c411797d299812c041dbdfdf11efc7.jpeg

Edited by Frosty
Italic font = sarcasm

On 12/6/2023 at 2:58 PM, NotSoBigBen said:

If I had a dollar (no not a ZA rondt) for everytime I've heard 'you must be mad the amount of riding you do alone, it's not safe' .... My wife says I don't play well with others and that's why I prefer it 😝

I'm well aware of the risks and I do try to be as safe as possible knowing that's no guarantee.

I know I'm not the only one since here and there I do see other riders out on their own.

My question is are there other hubbers that ride alone most of the time despite the danger?

#solo4life

It's my therapy. I avoid the "danger" areas, use front and rear lights all the time, and try to be as alert as possible. I have changed lanes to avoid dodgy characters in the past and my heart has skipped a beat when that dodgy-looking Citi golf or beat-up taxi slowly overtakes me. Other than that, yolo.

Large groups generally annoy me (#introverted 😜). Like last weekend, riding back from Franschhoek after just having had a great coffee and getting back into my rhythm, a group of "tri-hards" (aka ankle-high socks and tri-bar attachments) came "flying" past me, no greetings of course, only for me to get up to my actual pace and drop them a short while later. 🤦‍♂️

One thing I've learned from riding is if you're going to overtake someone (or a group), at least greet them and be sure you can ride faster than them. Otherwise, you feel like a bit of a knob. I'm not talking about overtaking someone at 1km/h faster, but if you "accelerate" hard but can't maintain that speed. 😂

I also find scheduling difficult. Sometimes I wait for a gap in the weather, there are things to do around the house and garden, the dog needs a walk, or I just want that extra cup of coffee before I go out. I like the flexibility. And not having to wait for people. 🙄

Edited by mikkelz

3 hours ago, TyronLab said:

Did this the other day while chasing down a mtb on my single speed gravel bike. Once passed, i was also sure not to stand and mash the small rolling hill in the way…’calm and steady watts’ haha 

burned like hell….

8 hours ago, ChrisF said:

If nobody saw it, it never happened .... 😋

I have no idea what you are referring to . . . :ph34r:🤣

it was a rather embarrassing chuck. Just as well I was alone. I wouldn't live that one down for sure.

Also ride alone 99% of the time. Like others have expressed, it’s the convenience of not waiting for others and controlling your own schedule that I like. But I have to say it’s nice to ride amongst others so you’re not the only person on a route..

I am privileged to live in an area where I can get a 30km loop on gravel in and I know most the laborers farmers along the way. So for training sake I ride alone a lot. It is either rouvy on the trainer or the dirt. Weekends and longer rides I have some very well positioned routes that are also fairly safe. Running it is the same, luckily I have neighboring farms to run so I can get a good 10km in without leaving a private farm now. Riding singletrack is not somethign I need to have. 90% of gauteng singletrack is flat winding trash to try squeeze extra km's on a small property. all it does is make strava to look like I threw up spaghetti. Doing true te4chnical riding alone just adds risk.

It also helps with my schedule, with a baby in the house, I either go stoopid early or take a lunch time nap gap.

I have also planned routes around avoiding potential ambush areas, I prefer wide open dirt roads where you can see anyone coming from at least 5-10m. 

Safety tracking wise- Whatsapp live location is very under rated. You no doubt have your phone anyway. The Mrs enjoys the convenience. I send her a link as I leave the house so she also knows when I started running/riding.

I have a question? Since i primarily ride in groups and the burden of an incident is a shared burden.

When you do have an incident? Who is coming to get you? Has this happened yet?

Why I ask, is that ive had a few rides where a lone rider has gone down and our group has had to stop our ride and help with the situation, often severly impacting our ride from enjoyment to the dealing with a trauma event.

The rider generally has vague recollection of who is waiting for them (often what happens when you go over the bars) and the ICE phone contact is generally out of reach.

Feels like a lot of people are just taking a chance and claiming they are super prepared.

/Let the mob assault begin