[Event] King Price Race to the Sun

Faces Advendurance

41 minutes ago, Op1 said:

Any tips for first timers doing the race ?

Nutrition ?

Tyre choice and tyre pressure (MTB bike) ?

how to approach the race and resting tips ?

And Good luck to everyone doing the event. 

Remember sunscreen, it's going to be a long day out, and maybe a buff for the dust.

Mistake I made was not eating enough in the first half and then over consumed at the halfway mark (Beestekraal)

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Guys 

I do have a nutrition plan - however I was keen to hear others view and tweak my plan where it makes sense. 

What im really keen to know is what tyre pressure you are running - I am told that the higher pressure (2.7bar +) will result in quicker times and low watt outputs.  

My goal is to just complete the event  - but Id like to ensure I optimize my energy output as much as possible 

53 minutes ago, Op1 said:

Thanks Guys 

I do have a nutrition plan - however I was keen to hear others view and tweak my plan where it makes sense. 

What im really keen to know is what tyre pressure you are running - I am told that the higher pressure (2.7bar +) will result in quicker times and low watt outputs.  

My goal is to just complete the event  - but Id like to ensure I optimize my energy output as much as possible 

I weigh 84km
I run 1.8 bar.
My best time was 4:58 on my gravel bike (No powermeter)
Last year time 5:30 with 194w avg.  Last 100km wat fairly easy going after I punctured at 38km. 

Don't know if that helps

1 hour ago, Spinnekop said:

I weigh 84km
I run 1.8 bar.
Last year time 5:30 with 194w avg.  Last 100km wat fairly easy going after I punctured at 38km. 

Don't know if that helps

Jirr, Spinnekop us "normal folk" just want to achieve a bronze medal at best, thanks for making us feel completely like weaklings.

29 minutes ago, Dexter-morgan said:

Jirr, Spinnekop us "normal folk" just want to achieve a bronze medal at best, thanks for making us feel completely like weaklings.

Bahahhaha.
No man.

It's a flat fast race.  

But windgatly I just wanted to point out that "high pressure = low watts" is not always the golden rule.
I foresee a SHITload of corrugation this year so I think that lower pressures might not be such a bad idea.  Just need to not hit stuff.  😲
Catch 22 

Edited by Spinnekop

Shuttles back from Sun City to Harties are sold out . Anybody else have a plan / spot for two riders back to schoemansville please 

Hmmm, I only bought my entries on 3 May (so a few days after your post) and I was able to get a ticket for the shuttle back. Makes me nervous that they've stuffed something up and I am actually going to be stranded in Sun City with no space on the shuttle, despite having paid for and received a ticket.

[Edit: I've subsequently made contact with the shuttle operator who has confirmed that everything is in order and they actually are still taking some last minute bookings for the shuttles]

Edited by Pall Catt

9 hours ago, Spinnekop said:

I weigh 84km
I run 1.8 bar.

Don't know if that helps

They added almost 10km to the route from 2022 to 2023 to avoid a slightly dodge section, so your average speed might be pretty similar between the 4:58 and 5:30. 

10 hours ago, Op1 said:

Thanks Guys 

I'd definitely not recommend super hard tyres. Comfortable is fast. 

In terms of nutrition - This is probably the most important thing to consider. Check the wrappers of your gels and bars etc. 60g of carbs per hour should be your minimum regardless of how hard you're pushing, so plan what you need to eat every hour, and start early. Don't wait to be hungry. 

Also, don't gorge yourself on the massive feast at the half-way mark. Your legs will be flat afterwards while your body spends all your energy trying to digest everything you've stuffed in your face. Rather take some potatoes or droe wors with you nibble as you go.

In terms of pacing - First half is fast and mostly false flat downhill, second half has some long drags uphill. Don't overcook the first half. Whatever time you make up smashing the first half will be negligible compared to what you'll lose if you run out of steam at 100km. Rather empty the tank in the last 30km than in the first. 

Another thing to consider in terms of pacing is trying to be smart on the tarmac sections. Don't ride 10 seconds ahead of a group in the wind alone when you could save energy working in the group. And if you are 5s behind a group, it can be worthwhile to push a bit get in the draft rather than dangling in the wind alone. 

9 hours ago, Mountain Bru said:

In terms of nutrition - This is probably the most important thing to consider. Check the wrappers of your gels and bars etc. 60g of carbs per hour should be your minimum regardless of how hard you're pushing, so plan what you need to eat every hour, and start early. Don't wait to be hungry. 

Also, don't gorge yourself on the massive feast at the half-way mark. Your legs will be flat afterwards while your body spends all your energy trying to digest everything you've stuffed in your face. Rather take some potatoes or droe wors with you nibble as you go.

In terms of pacing - First half is fast and mostly false flat downhill, second half has some long drags uphill. Don't overcook the first half. Whatever time you make up smashing the first half will be negligible compared to what you'll lose if you run out of steam at 100km. Rather empty the tank in the last 30km than in the first. 

Another thing to consider in terms of pacing is trying to be smart on the tarmac sections. Don't ride 10 seconds ahead of a group in the wind alone when you could save energy working in the group. And if you are 5s behind a group, it can be worthwhile to push a bit get in the draft rather than dangling in the wind alone. 

My favorite quote from our coach when we raced was

"You think its hard hanging onto the breakaway? Imagine being in no mans land"

Hi. 

Does anyone have first hand info on the condition of the road and the corrugations on the drags after Beestekraal ?

15 hours ago, Mountain Bru said:

And dont forget to drop your droper post (If you have one) for your TT position on those tar sections - you be amazed at the speed you get to

16 hours ago, BrianMTB said:

I heard that a rider was killed in a head-on with a taxi during this event. Does anyone know more about what happened?

The person's name has been shared on some whatsapps, but no detail about what happened. RIP

39 minutes ago, Rowl said:

The person's name has been shared on some whatsapps, but no detail about what happened. RIP

Yeah I also got confirmation a head on collision, around 110km mark after the KOM. If I recall it was a section of roadworks. Generally there was alot of marshalls and officials, but imho vehicular traffic could be better regulated, had a number of bakkies/trucks moer past me at massive speed, then you cant see anything in the dust, to be frankly honest glad I got it done, but will be a once off. The route is very average at most not much to look at, and bloody pricey if you include all the logistics etc.

Edited by Charity85