the unofficial Cape Epic 2024 thread

Shebeen

1 hour ago, rooies 01 said:

How strong is Matt Beers. Solo rider taking on the teams. Maybe he should pair up with Kegan next year 

I think Grotts is getting a little to much critism. This is his first race of his season. Imagine getting a call up to RACE Cape Epic after just completing a training block. Everyone else has some racing under the belt in 2024 yet he's still there. He hasn't been blown up yet.

We have 4 teams fighting for the win, now maybe 5 if Canyon Sidi can get more time back today. The hasn't been this open.....ever and Grotts is one of those making it possible

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Likely not critting Grotts per sé, but the (limited) choice of partner. Beers is clearly far stronger than his partner ... but then it seems Spez must ride with another Spez (which is of course a tad limiting).

Question:
What happens when the leaders pull in? Presumably the humans (after interviews etc) get massages etc, but would would typically happen to the bikes on a daily basis? Clean obviously, but what sort of maintenance? Then what prep for the rider for the next day?

And while I am holding the microphone, I would like to have an auto-mute button for Mr Know-it-all-ramble-off-the-statistics-ad-nauseum-and-always-manages-to-somehow-extend-a-simply-three-word-sentence-to-five-minutes-of-stating-and-restating-the-blindingly-obvious. Apart from that minor annoyance (pro tip: sit a few minutes behind the live feed and you can skip those bits 😆) I find the YT feed pretty good, considering the vast logistical constraints. Bart is a great addition and Spitz knows her stuff (with her highly entertaining German translations). Good stuff, appreciated the audio (99.7 % of it) and the visuals (when we actually have visuals). Uhm ... have a C172 fly circuits overhead providing signal?

Live tracking shows leading men already at the bottom of Cliffhanger but "live" visuals on YT still shows them climbing up Aap Duez?? 

11 minutes ago, jcza said:

We are no doubt going to see a long line of riders walking up and down Cliffhanger later. 

That descent looks scary AF.....

IMG-20240321-WA0022.jpg

Edited by Ant1234

Wonder what the post-race temperament is like between Grotts and Beers 🤔

Grotts seems pretty humbled by the experience and being held in great company with Nino, Fini and Beers 

26 minutes ago, Ant1234 said:

Wonder what the post-race temperament is like between Grotts and Beers 🤔

Grotts seems pretty humbled by the experience and being held in great company with Nino, Fini and Beers 

Wild bru, wild!

29 minutes ago, W@nted said:

Marc Pritzen abandoned the race this morning.

Saw that, not sure if it may be down to illness or not. Towards the end his partner Nortje wasn't too far off from the Specialized and Scott/Ridley breakaway, flying through the singletrack. 

22 minutes ago, jcza said:

Grotts & Beers in yellow by 2 mins. Job done, not sure what more is required. 

Recon Nino & Fini will throw the kitchen at them for next few days... Should make for some good viewing!

Def not job done... 

1 minute ago, babse said:

Recon Nino & Fini will throw the kitchen at them for next few days... Should make for some good viewing!

Def not job done... 

Agree that race is not won, but surely you can’t expect more of them at this point in the race? 

6 minutes ago, jcza said:

Agree that race is not won, but surely you can’t expect more of them at this point in the race? 

For sure... Grotts is riding out of sox while Beers is doing Beers things!