the unofficial Cape Epic 2024 thread

Shebeen

Twas raining here yesterday so I had a couch catch up on the Epic YouTube not getting to Kolesky (sp) but amused by Darryl and Dave although Dave seems to be being hurt somewhat with both showing good pedigree.

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For interest sake, does anyone know why Vera and Alexis are not up there? They don't share their Strava rides and I don't have other socials.

Alex Miller rolled off the starting line this morning on stage 5 and pulled out so that his partner Johan van Zyl can continue today. Relieved he did not partner up with Beers.

13 minutes ago, nathrix said:

Alex Miller rolled off the starting line this morning on stage 5 and pulled out so that his partner Johan van Zyl can continue today. Relieved he did not partner up with Beers.

I’m sure it was pointed out that winning Atta does not mean you can ride with Matt Beers for 8 days. In my opinion we don’t appreciate how special Beers is. Nino hardly puts any time into him on the technical sections and we know what happens on the flatter sections. 

11 minutes ago, nathrix said:

He is a great kid, I have said it before that I believe in him as a rider and is much better team mate locally for Matt to race with at Toyota Spez.  
Epic is different
Winning Epic with Matt is a whole new world vs Tankwa
People dont really understand the level Matt is above anyone in South Africa Marathon/Stage race wise. 

6 hours ago, tinmug said:

... he must have a better coach. 😆😉

<shots fired>

It must be Friday 

1 minute ago, jcza said:

I’m sure it was pointed out that winning Atta does not mean you can ride with Matt Beers for 8 days. In my opinion we don’t appreciate how special Beers is. Nino hardly puts any time into him on the technical sections and we know what happens on the flatter sections. 

Also to add some info on Attekwas, every year training for Attewkas since 2022 or 2021 I have given Matt a huge load leading in, typically 2-3 weeks of 25-30hrs and it ends with Attekwas. Then we analyse and go forward. 
Alex was so good this year at Attekwas, Matt was simply beat he will admit it but not bad for someone coming off a huge block vs riders who taper for Attekwas. 

1 minute ago, J Wakefield said:

He is a great kid, I have said it before that I believe in him as a rider and is much better team mate locally for Matt to race with at Toyota Spez.  
Epic is different
Winning Epic with Matt is a whole new world vs Tankwa
People dont really understand the level Matt is above anyone in South Africa Marathon/Stage race wise. 

Yeah , sometimes the obvious isn’t always obvious like…..

Matt is whipping the best marathon racers in the world and showing N1no the way…..n1no 10 x world champ most accomplished mountain bike racer in history and the boy down the road is tapping his shoulder and asking “track please”

not sure how that gets missed but that’s the photograph 

Looks like speed company are out or have lost a huge amount of time

as is Alex Miller due to fatigue so that puts that discussion to bed.

Edited by DieselnDust

16 minutes ago, jcza said:

Yeah 100%.

Showing all that talent just now and dropping bombs.

Fini showing first signs of weakness. Nino should be looking for his toys to throw soon....

7 hours ago, tinmug said:

... he must have a better coach. 😆😉

didnt age well at all 🤣

Is it just me or does Howard seem to be spinning very high cadence ? 

Maybe go up a chainring size tomorrow 

17 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

I don't think we, at home, know quite where is comfort level is.

A guy like Matt evidently likes to grind a big gear while Grotts might be a spinner. I'm pretty sure their coaches and team know how to best set up their bikes for their preferred way of turning the pedals.

I may be entirely wrong, but he looks like he likes being light on the pedals with higher cadence. Trying to change that because Matt is more powerful than an angry Bruce Banner and rides differently might be a recipe for disaster 

8 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

It would seem that way compared to Matt. Smaller oke would naturally ride higher cadence 

9 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

I don't think we, at home, know quite where is comfort level is.

A guy like Matt evidently likes to grind a big gear while Grotts might be a spinner. I'm pretty sure their coaches and team know how to best set up their bikes for their preferred way of turning the pedals.

I may be entirely wrong, but he looks like he likes being light on the pedals with higher cadence. Trying to change that because Matt is more powerful than an angry Bruce Banner and rides differently might be a recipe for disaster 

38t for Grotts while Matt seems to alternate sizes. According to some of the team staff, did some bike checks yesterday.