the unofficial Cape Epic 2024 thread

Shebeen

5 hours ago, dev null said:

Rob would never be able to sit still for 1 hour, never mind 5 hours.

... but the (student) night life in Stellies will keep him going. 🤘

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, love2fly said:

On day one Gerald got his riders confused, day 2 or 3 said Speed Company off the front yet they were dropped. Today he mentions Forster.....didnt know he was riding (must have meant Fini). If the Epic wants to be international and so it seems, judging by all the Spanish YouTube comments, they need to get a professional commentary team. Agree that Gardiner waffles but Gerald always waxes so lyrical, even on Toyota Cadence.... I can't imagine the rest of the world believing this is quality commentary....c'mon Epic, you can do better!

The commentary is in-house and also a promo for the Epic and they don't let you forget that. I'd still  rather have this free stream than a paid subscription broadcast however.

49 minutes ago, Headshot said:

The commentary is in-house and also a promo for the Epic and they don't let you forget that. I'd still  rather have this free stream than a paid subscription broadcast however.

I hear you but isn't that like serving only Epic-branded prepackaged rusks and nothing else at the feed zones? 😁

Jonkers Irish, Armageddon and Red Phoenix then up Bosluis and down Firehut on day 8 of the Epic is going to be brutal. All the best for all the amateurs. Even the pros are going to feel this stage.

4 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

who is this Grotts? Is it a new specialized back pack?

Some say he embodies the revenge of the math nerds ...

11 hours ago, Ruben Hechter said:

Commentator suggestion for 2025 Cape Epic. Bart Brentjens should team up with Rob Warner like the good old UCI days. (Bart wil probally be racing epic next year though)

Rob can get sooo excited about the timing splits on the downhill races. 

Rob might struggle to wax lyrical for 4 to 5 hrs though. 
I’ve missed Anika’s inputs this year. Sabine  has been great and often having to correct her colleagues when it comes to identifying riders and also providing a lot of pro rider perspectives wrt training , bike set up choices but Anika seemed to always be a little more in touch with the riders or maybe it’s just that her voice was a little more animated. Either way having Bart and Sabine doing the rider interviews and adding to the commentary has added some much needed diversity to the commentary 

11 minutes ago, J Wakefield said:

According to “people in the know” not good enough we heard….

People in the know missed the obvious flaw in the T91S pairing…..

They need to up their sock game 

IMG_5997.jpeg

1 hour ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Jonkers Irish, Armageddon and Red Phoenix then up Bosluis and down Firehut on day 8 of the Epic is going to be brutal. All the best for all the amateurs. Even the pros are going to feel this stage.

Irish is not too bad, depending how high you go. I normally climb it to the 5th contour road. Most riders should be able to do the Jonkers meander in about 90 minutes.

Upper Firehut might catch a few tired riders. I myself never ride the very top of Firehut. Just too rocky and tight.

EDIT: Make that Jonkers meander about 2 hours. I see they are going to Contour 7 of Irish from that profile that Dale posted.

Edited by dev null

Last chance for many teams to taste stage win glory - it's gonna be hard racing on very weary bodies and minds.

For the amateur, a lifetime achievement is a handful of hours away.spacer.png

Edited by 'Dale

24 minutes ago, dev null said:

Irish is not too bad, depending how high you go. I normally climb it to the 5th contour road. Most riders should be able to do the Jonkers meander in about 90 minutes.

Upper Firehut might catch a few tired riders. I myself never ride the very top of Firehut. Just too rocky and tight.

Every time after doing 6 days of epic and being in your moer with 30-45hrs in the legs? 
Different RPE value I would imagine 

39 minutes ago, J Wakefield said:

Every time after doing 6 days of epic and being in your moer with 30-45hrs in the legs? 
Different RPE value I would imagine 

What do you know .... I've also seen those numbers you've been posting for the Mullet,I reckon I could take him if I felt like 😎