Bike Check: Matt Beer's Cape Epic Winning S-Works Epic

News bot

Just over week ago Matt Beer’s stood on top of the Absa Cape Epic podium alongside partner Howard Grotts, claiming his third overall title. Here we take a closer look at his race-winning S-Works Epic 8: Bike Specifications Finally: Matt’s brake pads replaced three times, while his suspension damper seals replaced every second day – that’s the factory luxury!

View full article

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, babse said:

Edge 810? maybe thats why he pushing to finish his rides so quickly before his garmin dies

Top ten Chirps of the year contender👏🏼👏🏼

21 minutes ago, ajnkzn said:

170mm dropper and 160mm front brake rotor? Not sure about that.

What are you kit sure about?

he’s like 1.9m tall…. But doesn’t weigh much more than 80kg

6 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

What are you kit sure about?

he’s like 1.9m tall…. But doesn’t weigh much more than 80kg

The photos don't lie. 

No way that dropper is 170mm travel and the front caliper definitely looks like it has spacers on, apart from the fact that the rotor is visibly bigger than a 160mm.

Not trying to prove anyone wrong, just an observation / question.

Edited by ajnkzn

1 hour ago, ajnkzn said:

The photos don't lie. 

No way that dropper is 170mm travel and the front caliper definitely looks like it has spacers on, apart from the fact that the rotor is visibly bigger than a 160mm.

Not trying to prove anyone wrong, just an observation / question.

No spacers , the level ultimate stealth fits right into the mounting tabs of the SiD ultimate chassis. Agree on the rotor because that fork takes a 180mm rotor minimum.

1 hour ago, Florry1967 said:

They would have to machine the front fork brake posts down to fit a 160 rotor, standard only takes a 180 as smallest.

Yip on the brake rotor. STD rotor is 180mm on the fork and 170mm dropper on XL frame but Matts dropper looks like a 125mm.

31 minutes ago, stringbean said:

300k bike and the suspension seals can’t last a week of racing🙈🙈🙈🙈🙈

Not specifically, some riders like specific feedback from a bike, front end etc. some riders are more sensitive than others. Perfect example here in Basque post stage was feedback on a certain set of tyres used and rider has asked for a small change cause he wasn’t happy and confident on the feedback the bike gave him in a certain environment on the road due to the tyres. 
for me and you it makes no difference, go up a level or 15 it does. 
you are more than knowledgeable to know this!!

Matt likes his bike set up specifically and wants that feeling in a race. He was the same when he raced motocross and his then bike set ups. 

Edited by J Wakefield

16 minutes ago, wolver said:

No valve caps... gotta be a gram or two saving there!

Who uses valve caps? I'm more likely to make fun of someone WITH valve caps these days 

9 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Who uses valve caps? I'm more likely to make fun of someone WITH valve caps these days 

People with OCD who like the clean finished look of a cap and worry about a tiny spec of dirt getting into the valve causing it to not seal perfectly🥴