Frozen Toes

The Ouzo

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cold feet are very difficult to manage...wearing 2 pairs of socks makes NO difference and just makes your shoes tighter, impedes your circulation and makes your feet freeze.

Booties help but ideally you want some nice warm merino wool socks or similar which keep your feet dry and toasty.

Winter boots are also good but cumbersome and expensive..and if you do get them make sure they are not too tight. They are also waterproof and generally will make your feet sweat.

Keeping your core nice and warm also helps and prevents blood leaving the extremities.

Tin foil on the insoles to radiate heat inwards can help.

There is no ultimate solution, you really have to experiment

I lived in Italy for 10 years and rode in sub-freezing temps regularly, got chilblains on my feet a few times...

IMG_5361.JPG

Edited by guidodg

toe caps and a jiffy bag (i cut a plastic shopping bag in the corners and use that). i dont double up on socks either. Also on the east rand so i know what your cold feels like.

a mate has bad circulation in his feet, the above doesnt work for him or mohair socks or booties etc, am sure this is partly why

yup, bad circulation makes it very difficult to ride in winter...for the hands too...

3 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

Yesterday my toes were aching from the cold, so this morning I put little plastic bags over my socks before putting my feet in my shoes. This worked great for a while, but then my feet started to sweat and the sweat had nowhere to go, the sweat then got cold and my toes got cold again. Not nearly as bad as yesterday but not ideal. Especially seeing as though the temps did not drop below 3deg this morning.

Other than buying booties, what other options can I experiment with ?

I'm going to try the 2 pairs of socks option next.

This is one reason why someone invented the IDT.

Ive successfully used waterproof over shoes on the few occasions I rode outdoors long enough in winter.

3 minutes ago, SwissVan said:

This is one reason why someone invented the IDT.

Ive successfully used waterproof over shoes on the few occasions I rode outdoors long enough in winter.

You don't find the non-breathability to make you sweat a lot in your shoes, like an uncomfrtable feeling?

duct tape over the holes in the underside of your shoes. Stops the venting. solves the problem

9 minutes ago, dave303e said:

I use neoprene socks(made for kayaking. Worked well so far for me

aero or non-aero ?:ph34r:

A cheap alternative (costs nothing) is to cut a liquifruit carton out in the shape of your shoe insole. Place it underneath the shoes existing insoles, silver side up, and it will help eliminate the cold from entering under the shoe and help insulate the heat of the foot from escaping downwards.

Warm (hiking) socks and booties (bought second hand on Bhub) round off my winter foot gear.

Some shoes are warmer than others depending on the thickness of the venting fabric they are made with.

5 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

Yesterday my toes were aching from the cold, so this morning I put little plastic bags over my socks before putting my feet in my shoes. This worked great for a while, but then my feet started to sweat and the sweat had nowhere to go, the sweat then got cold and my toes got cold again. Not nearly as bad as yesterday but not ideal. Especially seeing as though the temps did not drop below 3deg this morning.

Other than buying booties, what other options can I experiment with ?

I'm going to try the 2 pairs of socks option next.

I have these if want. Might help keeping the cold wind out. You are welcome to them and if don't work for you pay them forward. 

1000004160.jpg

5 hours ago, Ispeed_V said:

Neoprene toe covers and a good pair of Mohair socks.

This! The last two winters riding in the Netherlands, this has been the solution we have discovered and I haven't had cold feet/toes again. Never too hot, never too cold. Just right. The socks are a bit of an investment but totally worth it. Trek makes nice ones

29 minutes ago, Barry said:

I have these if want. Might help keeping the cold wind out. You are welcome to them and if don't work for you pay them forward. 

1000004160.jpg

thanks for the offer.

Will try a few "hacks" first and take it from there.

25 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

thanks for the offer.

Will try a few "hacks" first and take it from there.

You can also try Cycle Lab. I got the house brand Wattz toe covers about R120 and with your MyCycleLife winter voucher + Strava rewards maybe they will be free.

20240612_160552.jpg

Edited by Barry

4 minutes ago, Barry said:

You can also try Cycle Lab. I got the house brand Wattz toe covers about R120 and with your MyCycleLife winter voucher + Strava rewards maybe they will be free.

20240612_160552.jpg

thanks, I jumped onto their website earlier and they only had the ciovita ones, but like you say, with mycycelife rewards, if they still have these watz ones I wont pay anything.