First Look: Specialized Chisel Dual-suspension

News bot

I’ve become well acquainted with the Specialized Epic and Epic EVO over the years, and my first reaction when I was asked to ride the new Chisel alloy full suspension was intrigue. I’ve become so spoiled with my carbon equipment that I wasn’t sure what to expect from a modern aluminium, mid-level bike. Having preached “it’s not about the bike” for many years, in the name of investigation I headed to my original home trails in Tokai to rally this new offering. Bigger travel bikes aside, I think the last time I rode a dual suspension alloy frame in Tokai […]

View full article

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice bike and good to see big companies still trying to deliver better "cheaper" bikes. I wonder if they will do a Chisel Evo?

Edited by hansolo
Revision

Well done Spesh. Perhaps feeling the pinch a bit as the punters run out of cash for their more exorbitant offerings? It's almost affordable 😉

I like this a lot! It looks so much like the Epic Evo 2023, or the new 2024 Epic 8. Great geometry, clean design, very balanced spec components, and a really attractive price (compared to "entry level" carbon dual susses these days). Great job!

What a well priced bike. If I was in the market, I'd consider this one heavily.

A bike built for South African racing at an acceptable price.  R30k more to unlock a carbon frame in the Specialized EPIC comp. 

This bike looks great at R59k. I wonder what the weight difference will be between this and the Epic comp. 

3 hours ago, hansolo said:

Nice bike and good to see big companies still trying to deliver better "cheaper" bikes. I wonder if they will do a Chisel Evo?

You mean a 130F / 120 rear version?

chisel is already 120/110

woukdnt that eat into stump jumper territory 

1 hour ago, DieselnDust said:

You mean a 130F / 120 rear version?

chisel is already 120/110

woukdnt that eat into stump jumper territory 

Yes, 130F/120R would be amazing.

The Epic 8 Evo is specced like that.

6 hours ago, Irvin85 said:

A bike built for South African racing at an acceptable price.  R30k more to unlock a carbon frame in the Specialized EPIC comp. 

This bike looks great at R59k. I wonder what the weight difference will be between this and the Epic comp. 

Epic 8 Comp (M) Comes in at 12.27kg

Chisel Suspension (M) Comes in at 13.96kg

Edited by Lynnwood Cyclery

27 minutes ago, Lynnwood Cyclery said:

Epic 8 Comp (M) Comes in at 12.27kg

Chisel Suspension (M) Comes in at 13.96

If possible, a FAR more useful comparison would be frameset mass of the two, as a lot the of mass difference can come from componentry and not only from the frameset :)

22 minutes ago, Thermophage said:

If possible, a FAR more useful comparison would be frameset mass of the two, as a lot the of mass difference can come from componentry and not only from the frameset :)

• Specialized S-Works Epic 8 (FACT 12m) – 1,795g
  • Specialized Epic 8 (FACT 11m) – 1,965g
  • Specialized Chisel – 2,720g
  • Scott Spark Alloy – 3,290g
  • Trek Top Fuel Alloy – 3,740g

https://flowmountainbike.com/post-all/2025-specialized-chisel-alloy-xc-bike/#:~:text=a single structure.-,Specialized Chisel weight,that we're aware of.

From Specialized website the Epic S-Works 8 is at 2.21kg

Edited by Irvin85

1 minute ago, Irvin85 said:
  • Specialized S-Works Epic 8 (FACT 12m) – 1,795g
  • Specialized Epic 8 (FACT 11m) – 1,965g
  • Specialized Chisel – 2,720g
  • Scott Spark Alloy – 3,290g
  • Trek Top Fuel Alloy – 3,740g

https://flowmountainbike.com/post-all/2025-specialized-chisel-alloy-xc-bike/#:~:text=a single structure.-,Specialized Chisel weight,that we're aware of.

Shot, will help ppl compare better somewhat, but seems those are claimed masses only. Would be nice for a chop with stock to put a few on a scale sometime for a real world comparison :)

Just now, Thermophage said:

Shot, will help ppl compare better somewhat, but seems those are claimed masses only. Would be nice for a chop with stock to put a few on a scale sometime for a real world comparison :)

I was thinking the same thing. It makes one wonder if you really want to fork out the additional 30k for a carbon bike when you save 800grams only, that you can "save" by drinking one bear less the night before. 

1 hour ago, Thermophage said:

1 hour ago, Thermophage said:

Next Service of a Pro, Expert or Comp That leaves us with a Frameset with Shock only we'll Put it on a scale. 😉