Downhill Riders,including current SA National Champ, overlooked for World Champs

18 minutes ago, Duane_Bosch said:

Just a funny little anecdote when Duran was doing his postman pat impression in a tiny van around Europe he'd enter the IXS races because the race entry includes 3 or 4 days of lift access and the race entry was cheaper than the equivalent left pass at normal times. That and the free food.

He'd also collect all the red bull cans and feed those to reverse vending machines to gather a bit of cash.

Interesting, I assume that was before his music career took off? 

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Duane_Bosch said:

To race the IXS races you need a UCI license. Much like a world cup there's a track walk followed by training, a seeding run and a finals run.

IIRC they have a small final (21st-40th in seeding) and a big final (1st to 20th in seeding) The top 20 fastest qualifiers get to race for the win and podiums in the big final. So everyone gets a "finals" run but only the top guys get to race for the W and the cash.

It's most certainly NOT a f*** around mates race series for losers who can't cut it at the World Cups. The level is incredibly high as evidenced by the top 10 around Ross.

I saw now after being on YouTube, it's pretty awsome and the skill level follows. Looks more intense from a stand point. 

Thanks appreciate the background info.

1 hour ago, Headshot said:

Google is still usually better than asking a question here. FWIW. Unless you're trying to prove a point in an oblique way by asking the question in the first place of course. 

I assumed from your experience in the MTB and DH arena that you'd be well aware what the European Cup DH series is and that qualifying forms part of such a series. Call me crazy.

I wasnt proving **** wena, I was curious how this worked race wise cause in the end of the day, there would be a strategy to make it to the podium other than going faster than the guy next to you so was looking at this from a performance side. 

24 minutes ago, Duane_Bosch said:

Just a funny little anecdote when Duran was doing his postman pat impression in a tiny van around Europe he'd enter the IXS races because the race entry includes 3 or 4 days of lift access and the race entry was cheaper than the equivalent left pass at normal times. That and the free food.

He'd also collect all the red bull cans and feed those to reverse vending machines to gather a bit of cash.

Bahahaha!! Anything it takes to be there, right?

34 minutes ago, Captain Fastbastard Mayhem said:

Bahahaha!! Anything it takes to be there, right?

Hy Jy! Crawl back under that rock! 

you are only allowed to comment if you ride bicycles more than twice a year😅

17 hours ago, J Wakefield said:

I saw now after being on YouTube, it's pretty awsome and the skill level follows. Looks more intense from a stand point. 

Thanks appreciate the background info.

It's also a feeder series where there are age groups for younger riders to get up to speed. Also the events are typically held at venues that have previously hosted World Cups such as Wilengen and Lenzerheide.

The track that they use at Chatel stitches together Bike Patrol and the bottom part of Serpentine which are both part of the Chatel Bike park. Serpentine is typical Euro Bike park with MASSIVE jumps and 5m tall berms. It's a blue.

Bike Patrol on the other hand is a proper black that is honestly terrifying to a normal pleb like myself. It's suuper rooty and slippery in the trees and there are parts that are basically impossible to ride unless you are committed and going fast. It starts off with an off camper loose shale section that feels like you are going to fall off the mountain if you get it wrong.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

18 hours ago, Headshot said:

Google is still usually better than asking a question here. FWIW. Unless you're trying to prove a point in an oblique way by asking the question in the first place of course. 

I assumed from your experience in the MTB and DH arena that you'd be well aware what the European Cup DH series is and that qualifying forms part of such a series. Call me crazy.

Also please don't come with the facetious "I assumed with your experience" BS mate. Knowing what this is rule and format is vs knowing how to train someone for the discipline is 2 very different things.
Again being a dick back at you, we would think then assume with the SA riders experience in MTB and DH arena that they would be well aware of how to qualify for worlds. Call me crazy. 

Lets not go there and keep this cool

One more teeni comment and then I'm out.

There's a reason Theo, Rory etc base themselves in Morzine and saffers all go over in groups every year and it's not the beer.

It's not a bikepark. It's multiple bikeparks all linked making it the biggest linked mountain bike area in the world. You can ride the Champery World Cup track, The Chatel IXS track as well as tracks that have been used in National Champs races including the Swiss National, French national track(s) in Lindarets as well as the French National on Pleney.

But the MAIN reason the fast guys base themselves there is the Pleney Steeps. The name says it all. There are MANY off piste trails that pop off the main lines that are SUPER steep and hectic. Like both wheels locked and still going too fast steep.

16 minutes ago, Duane_Bosch said:

It's also a feeder series where there are age groups for younger riders to get up to speed. Also the events are typically held at venues that have previously hosted World Cups such as Wilengen and Lenzerheide.

The track that they use at Chatel stitches together Bike Patrol and the bottom part of Serpentine which are both part of the Chatel Bike park. Serpentine is typical Euro Bike park with MASSIVE jumps and 5m tall berms. It's a blue.

Bike Patrol on the other hand is a proper black that is honestly terrifying to a normal pleb like myself. It's suuper rooty and slippery in the trees and there are parts that are basically impossible to ride unless you are committed and going fast. It starts off with an off camper loose shale section that feels like you are going to fall off the mountain if you get it wrong.

I remember Stefan doing these back in the day in and around Europe, I just was not aware of the format so to speak. 

To have that development pathway for kids is really good, Switzerland in general have a really good Development system for youth in MTB. 

Just now, J Wakefield said:

I remember Stefan doing these back in the day in and around Europe, I just was not aware of the format so to speak. 

To have that development pathway for kids is really good, Switzerland in general have a really good Development system for youth in MTB. 

Ja he's won at least one of them

France has a great club system. I've often seen groups of sprogs (including Tahnee Seagrave when when a teenager) following coaches around Les Gets.

• 3 weeks later...

Message from CSA : SELECTION POLICY

We need to start working on the 2025 Selection policy.

Next year all MTB Championships will be held in Switzerland from 2 - 14 September.  This means that all selections must be completed by 30 June.

We need input please of any amendments you or your riders feel should be implemented. Please discuss the policy with your top riders who would be governed by this policy and give us constructive input on how we can fine tune the policy for 2025.

Please send an email to Ian and cc Paola.  INPUT TO BE RECEIVED BY WEDNESDAY 28 AUGUST.  Thereafter the new policy will be drafted and circulated for further input.  The final policy gets approved and signed off at our AGM on the 2nd and 3rd of November.

ian@h2sport.co.za

mtb@cyclingsa.com

2024 Selection Criteria attached for reference.

SA MTB Team Selection Policy Criteria 2024 update 30 May 2024.pdf

• 2 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

Unfortunately so, I saw Stefan Garlicki mention it. CSA weren't forthcoming on any comms or clarification. On the plus side there has been a representative appointed for DHI specifically. 

There's more to be dealt with yet, but at the moment let's enjoy the champs for what it is and support the team riders and support staff who are there. 
I see Theo Erlangsen is doing some great clips/reels for Bike Network over there. 

6 hours ago, rock said:

and next year there will be no one.

Which is also fine... A quick look at the start list this year and it looks like less than 30 countries in total are represented in the men's field. (A quick look - so 30 ish)

165 odd countries with no one there either.