Garden Route Giro Announced: A Six-day Gravel Stage Race

News bot

19 minutes ago, Spinnekop said:

I am.
That is why I am doing a THIRD of the racing I normally did in the part per year.

Like myself, shouldn't of raced so much "back in the day" and bought **** we didnt need, we would be richer in todays times...

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

52 minutes ago, J Wakefield said:

Like myself, shouldn't of raced so much "back in the day" and bought **** we didnt need, we would be richer in todays times...

Shouldn't have spent so much on that Corsaratti!

6 hours ago, Ispeed_V said:

Also waiting with bated breath to see what the cost would be. My guess is definitely north of 30-40K?

thats sounds waaaaay too steep. I'm thinking R20K because that aligns with cost for a single entry to Cape Pioneer Trek

Let's *** a pool on how much a solo entry will be at the inaugural edition. I'll run it and abscond with the cash to fund my entry. I don't think it's whataboutism or unfounded negativity. I like the events dryland offer but I don't believe that a 6 day event like this can be offered at a price point that is affordable to average middle class, middle of the pack, middle aged blokes who like to ride these long distances.

10 minutes ago, Mamil said:

Let's *** a pool on how much a solo entry will be at the inaugural edition. I'll run it and abscond with the cash to fund my entry. I don't think it's whataboutism or unfounded negativity. I like the events dryland offer but I don't believe that a 6 day event like this can be offered at a price point that is affordable to average middle class, middle of the pack, middle aged blokes who like to ride these long distances.

Probably not, but until we know, it IS whataboutism.

Once they announce the entry fees then cool, fair game, but IMHO constructive feedback is 'Gee, I hope they can find a way to keep the price point at a reasonably attainable rate' or 'This is something I would really consider if..... add the reason....' etc

Some of the absolutes being jousted about are 100% sour and angsty on an assumption or a previous made up comment. 

I was merely pointing out that such behaviour may have a backlash. Use it, don't use it.

I am in no way associated with Dryland events, but I do have an interest in BikeHub and it's continued prosperity. 

10 hours ago, Spinnekop said:

I had a think about pricing while pedaling home yesterday.
Tour de Cap can present a road event for 5 days for R3200.  No food, No accommodation

... And no entries

🤫

9 hours ago, bleedToWin said:

... And no entries

🤫

I can get in now at R3600

Untitled.jpg

Edited by Spinnekop

1 hour ago, Spinnekop said:

I can get in now at R3600

Untitled.jpg

You can, but opted not to?
My comment was that they are struggling to sell entries because people aren't convinced it's worth the price. I've done all four so far and haven't entered for next year. Not sure yet if I will. Maybe we should start a TdC thread where we can complain about price and the offering without guesswork! 

3 hours ago, bleedToWin said:

My comment was that they are struggling to sell entries because people aren't convinced it's worth the price. I've done all four so far and haven't entered for next year. Not sure yet if I will. Maybe we should start a TdC thread where we can complain about price and the offering without guesswork! 

You have to do it so you can tow us wannabe racers to the pass again .....

I entered again as soon as entries opened - I absolutely love the tour de cap - where else is a mamil on his mid range emonda ever gonna be keeping a wary eye on the guy in fith place who's 45 seconds behind him on the last stage and letting him have the sprint at the end because I don't need the seconds to keep my GC position safe ... and all of that for a week off work and 4k entry. 

20 hours ago, Mamil said:

Knysna to shamwari is 400km on the willowmore route. I expect there will be daisy chain stages to double up on race villages, so maybe a basic red tent at a school ground race village entry level @R25kpp and then accom and luxury upgrades as they will have secured all the ***** beds in town. The fact that it finishes at Shamwari might have blinded my expectations of affordability. 

On the email, it's billed as a 7 day 850km event. Now ~120km per stage does seem a little thin if you're getting UCI pros, so I guess there will be a prologue in knysna before it starts stage 1 the next day. 

22 hours ago, bleedToWin said:

Perhaps if the Neutral Support Vehicle pinkie-promise to support you next time?