20 Years of Bike Hub

News bot

In August* 2024, Bike Hub celebrated its 20th anniversary, and we’re taking a nostalgic look back at how far we’ve come. * We’re not entirely sure of the exact month, but it was around this time. 2004: How it all started What began in 2004 as thehubsa.co.za was initially a simple discussion forum for cycling enthusiasts. It stemmed from an idea for “CyclingCT,” a website intended to serve as a directory of stores, clubs, trails, and road routes around Cape Town and the Western Cape, complete with a message board. This small community quickly gained momentum, becoming a hub for […]

View full article

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I consider myself to be one of the "elders" of the bikehub community, having joined in December 2004. Had many good discussions, a fight or two, and also made a good mate or two over the years. I still have hanging in my cupboard two sets of the Bikehub cycling kits, which I'm very "jealous" of and only take out for special rides or occasions. Thanks to Matt and his team for affording us the privilege to have such a great platform to our disposal.

well done! Flip it says I've been lurking here for 19 years. (Joined Jan 4th 2005)

Edited by rock

Huge respect to Matt and the team, both current and former, who made Bikehub the institution it is today!

26 minutes ago, eddy said:

One could at one stage check what number you were. Where do I find that ?

If you look at the URL on your forum profile page. The number before your username at the end. That is probably the number.

https://forum.bikehub.co.za/profile/50-eddy/

So 50 in your case. 62607 before me (on this account anyway 🥷).

Congrats Matt and the team! Many an hour spent on the site, thanks for keeping it updates, interactive and allround lekker! Here's to another 20years and more

happy 20 to you! I would have joined thehub earlier but the warthogs mtb mailing list was enough for me at the time, I think the shift happened for me during the pricefixing thread. I could see how powerful a forum system was, and have learnt so much through the users.

It's been a constant evolving environment.  
Interesting for sure.

Well done to Matt and the team

Edited by Spinnekop

20 minutes ago, Nick said:

If you look at the URL on your forum profile page. The number before your username at the end. That is probably the number.

https://forum.bikehub.co.za/profile/50-eddy/

So 50 in your case. 62607 before me (on this account anyway 🥷).

thanks, gave me an idea

I can't remember when I joined. it predates Facebook and ADSL. Certainly acquired multi personality disorder along the way. That price fixing cartel thread was pure gold, as were the debates with Mr. Bornman, "snip snip snip".... I miss that guy

my profile says I joined in 2009, but I remember coming here a number of times before that and participating in the many cars vs cyclists threads.

image.png.3972748559999561d2ee321d1db183b8.png
profile/4915-frosty

We’re spam-bots around in the mid-2000s? 🫣

Edited by Frosty

Ja nee…. It’s been fun

Question to Nick and Matt, who is the longest serving member that is still active on the hub today?