Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

No need to get GIS on this. Cape Town roads are dangerous everywhere. Drivers in this city just don't give a ****! They especially don't like being overtaken, hence the right lane hogging. This morning A woman tried to drive me off the road for overtaking her. She's doing 80 in the RH lane on the M3. I'm sitting behind her and after a few minutes of waiting I overtake in the left lane. She speeds up and steers her car toward me. :eek:  :cursing:

No picture of her car because my phone was locked in the glove box.

This is how Monday started. I'm now staring out of the window from my office and already here has been two accidents at the roundabout outside  :cursing: ....

cops have just arrived for the first rear ender... 

Runner mugged in Constantia on the weekend

Cyclist killed on M4, Plumstead two others seriously injured.

but plenty of speed cameras in operation this weekend

rant over

Same on the M5, chilling in middle lane that goes onto the N1. 

Lady Schumi in a BMW weaving inbetween all lanes to try get through all traffic doing 80... Get to N1 in front of her as she was caught behind a truck. fool

Rant on a rant over.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday my buddy and I were cycling through Camps Bay(absolute nightmare as uber drivers just dont give a hoot)Anyway, went up the hill, around the bend towards Clifton and outside the entrance, a complete toss box, who we assume was looking for parking(now if you get to Clifton beach at 11am on a day like yesterday, you should know there is no parking, there isn't even parking there on a stormy cold winters day) So anyway he is right up against the cars parked on the left, so we attempt to pass on the right, as we start going past he starts to veer right, now pushing us into the oncoming traffic, my buddy speeds up and taps on his bonnet, I roll up next to his window and tell him to get off his phone and then ride on, next thing he is speeding up behind us revving like a chop and hooting, at this time we are single file, With loads of people walking around and possible witnesses, I slow down to allow him to come up next to me, which he does, I look through his passenger window and tell him to get off his phone or pull over and continue his call, He then tells me to F off, So I returned a few choice words which I doubt he was expecting, and I rode off again, he then sped up again behind me revving again, so I flipped him off and decided to do a sprint interval till the right hand bend and never saw him after that.

Point is CT motorists just dont give a **** and MANY of them do not even take note that there may be cyclists on the road. I've made it a habit of mine to make sure the motorists see me at a robot or something who perhaps have not come past me on the road I am travelling, But if a motorist passes you and then you get to a robot and he rides against the pavement, knowing that you're behind him, then I do tend to ask what's their issue with a show of hands.

Edited by FootballingCyclist

Oh 456

As received from our cycling chat.

"PPA member Martin Field was out riding in the Miller's Point in the Simon's Town area this morning when a guy came at him brandishing a large shard of glass [20- 30cm long]. He was in a layby/ parking area and walked out into the road right in front of him. Martin carries a pistol taser, which he drew so the perpetrator ran off.

We advise cyclists to please try to cycle in groups"

I'm assuming they meant "loading bay"..

Jislaaik we live in a pretty bleak society. I'm finding it harder and harder to find my optimism about our country. There is an almost constant climate of fear and his close friend aggression.

Yesterday my buddy and I were cycling through Camps Bay(absolute nightmare as uber drivers just dont give a hoot)Anyway, went up the hill, around the bend towards Clifton and outside the entrance, a complete toss box, who we assume was looking for parking(now if you get to Clifton beach at 11am on a day like yesterday, you should know there is no parking, there isn't even parking there on a stormy cold winters day) So anyway he is right up against the cars parked on the left, so we attempt to pass on the right, as we start going past he starts to veer right, now pushing us into the oncoming traffic, my buddy speeds up and taps on his bonnet, I roll up next to his window and tell him to get off his phone and then ride on, next thing he is speeding up behind us revving like a chop and hooting, at this time we are single file, With loads of people walking around and possible witnesses, I slow down to allow him to come up next to me, which he does, I look through his passenger window and tell him to get off his phone or pull over and continue his call, He then tells me to F off, So I returned a few choice words which I doubt he was expecting, and I rode off again, he then sped up again behind me revving again, so I flipped him off and decided to do a sprint interval till the right hand bend and never saw him after that.

Point is CT motorists just dont give a **** and MANY of them do not even take note that there may be cyclists on the road. I've made it a habit of mine to make sure the motorists see me at a robot or something who perhaps have not come past me on the road I am travelling, But if a motorist passes you and then you get to a robot and he rides against the pavement, knowing that you're behind him, then I do tend to ask what's their issue with a show of hands.

Do you think your little exercise in public relations worked, or does he now hate cyclists even more....

Oh 456

As received from our cycling chat.

"PPA member Martin Field was out riding in the Miller's Point in the Simon's Town area this morning when a guy came at him brandishing a large shard of glass [20- 30cm long]. He was in a layby/ parking area and walked out into the road right in front of him. Martin carries a pistol taser, which he drew so the perpetrator ran off.

We advise cyclists to please try to cycle in groups"

I'm assuming they meant "loading bay"..

Seems as if you need to go everywhere and do everything in a group these days. SA is just getting worse and worse.

I regularly ride that stretch of road going up to Cape Point alone during the week.

Never really felt unsafe or had any incidents but it looks like one has to be more vigilant now wherever you riding.

Could be worse, could be riding in London, where cyclists die daily. 

Or  Australia where the cops dont prosecute drivers for killing cyclists.

Hectic! Did not knew it is a thing over there.

Seems as if you need to go everywhere and do everything in a group these days. SA is just getting worse and worse.

Groups have become a necessity, but be mindful that larger groups bring about its own challenges on the road.

With a large number of DC training groups sharing the same space, I've been witness to fair bit of shenanigans over the last couple of weekends.

Be careful, be safe.

Do you think your little exercise in public relations worked, or does he now hate cyclists even more....

Whether he hates cyclists more after Sunday is a decision only he can make my friend, I can however only hope that he now realised that there are other road users, and not just motor vehicles on the road, and that he shouldn't be on his phone while driving.

Whether he hates cyclists more after Sunday is a decision only he can make my friend, I can however only hope that he now realised that there are other road users, and not just motor vehicles on the road, and that he shouldn't be on his phone while driving.

In my experience the guy who is playing with his phone and creating a traffic blockage doesn;t give a hoot about anyone other than themself so its irrelevant whether they hate you more or less after engaging.

My response to these boxes has changed. I stop and have a conversation. they usually respond the same way your perp responded but I get that warm smug feeling of not stooping to their level

In my experience the guy who is playing with his phone and creating a traffic blockage doesn;t give a hoot about anyone other than themself so its irrelevant whether they hate you more or less after engaging.

My response to these boxes has changed. I stop and have a conversation. they usually respond the same way your perp responded but I get that warm smug feeling of not stooping to their level

As someone who trains everyday(rest day now and then) I am often confronted with drivers who have ZERO regard for anyone but themselves on the road, also often oblivious to their surroundings. Last week a lady in Kalk Bay almost rode me into the pavement, I rode behind her and she never once, for about 2kms looked in her rear view where I was tailing here, with her being a lady, I was not going to get abusive or abrupt, pulled up next to her at the robots in Muizenberg and tapped softly on her window, she got the fright of her life because she had zero idea of her surroundings(if I was a hijacker or smash and grab type robber she stood zero chance) but seeing I was a cyclist she rolled her window down, I asked very politely that she please refrain from using her mobile whilst driving as she nearly rode me into the pavement and wouldn't even have known and that people would automatically have thought she had made a runner if I was injured which would of made things 10 times worse, she looked at me with a genuine look of shock and then sorrow on her face and apologised 10 times over and told me she really is sorry and that her son too is a cyclist and she will make sure not to do it again, we smiled at eachother and that was that. Caught up with her again further down the road outside Muizenberg Primary at the robots and she was not on her phone and had even stopped wider of the curb to allow us space, then further down on the lakeside main road area I saw her passing cyclists with quite a big space. Moral of the story is some people as stated above are oblivious to cyclists and truly do make an effort from there on in, and some boxes will remain boxes, and I come across BOTH on a daily basis as I live and train in the Southern Suburbs along the coast and main roads, Love the sport but hate the fact that everyday is a lottery with my life!! Edited by FootballingCyclist

Ja I've had one or two experiences like that and I've had more than one or two where the person, male or female reacts with an aggressive comment. Some peaches from the last few weeks

"You're riding on the road where the cars belong"

"It's 2018 dude - you do me I'll do you"

"Don't touch my f$%$king car"

I haven't been a perfect ambassador of manners for the sport in some circumstances. Found myself yelling at a taxi driver "I'm a father - you're going to put my child through university when you've left me dead on the road?" which accomplished absolutely nothing.

I asked one massively overweight idiot who had a cigarette in one hand and a cell phone in the other steering with his knees from speedbump to speedbump on the back route from Noordhoek to Simonstown if he'd eaten the other cyclists who'd dare to query his driving habits after he said "You cyclists, I've had enough of your billsh1t" when I told him that he should please stop using his phone.

Sometimes I worry that some muppet may just get my bontrager shoved into his roadrager and then where will I be?

It is as Footballingcyclist says - a person gets sick and tired of idiots who couldn't care less endangering lives through a fine blend of arrogance and stupidity.

As someone who trains everyday(rest day now and then) I am often confronted with drivers who have ZERO regard for anyone but themselves on the road, also often oblivious to their surroundings. Last week a lady in Kalk Bay almost rode me into the pavement, I rode behind her and she never once, for about 2kms looked in her rear view where I was tailing here, with her being a lady, I was not going to get abusive or abrupt, pulled up next to her at the robots in Muizenberg and tapped softly on her window, she got the fright of her life because she had zero idea of her surroundings(if I was a hijacker or smash and grab type robber she stood zero chance) but seeing I was a cyclist she rolled her window down, I asked very politely that she please refrain from using her mobile whilst driving as she nearly rode me into the pavement and wouldn't even have known and that people would automatically have thought she had made a runner if I was injured which would of made things 10 times worse, she looked at me with a genuine look of shock and then sorrow on her face and apologised 10 times over and told me she really is sorry and that her son too is a cyclist and she will make sure not to do it again, we smiled at eachother and that was that. Caught up with her again further down the road outside Muizenberg Primary at the robots and she was not on her phone and had even stopped wider of the curb to allow us space, then further down on the lakeside main road area I saw her passing cyclists with quite a big space. Moral of the story is some people as stated above are oblivious to cyclists and truly do make an effort from there on in, and some boxes will remain boxes, and I come across BOTH on a daily basis as I live and train in the Southern Suburbs along the coast and main roads, Love the sport but hate the fact that everyday is a lottery with my life!!

A friend of mine was attacked opposite Kayamandi on Sunday morning.

Luckily he saw the attacker coming for him from opposite the road, and when he saw he would not be able to dodge the attacker, he decided that attack is the best form of defense. He went straight for the attacker and hit him squarely on the jaw with his shoulder, sending the attackers knife flying. My friend tried to flag passing cars down to help, but they just hooted at this madman standing in the middle of the road, and drove on.

Some passing cyclist then stopped to help him. The attacker was long gone by this time.

Luckily no injuries to him, nothing taken.

He reckons the attacker will have a sore jaw for a day or two.

A big thank you to all the cyclists who stopped this morning at about 8 after a lady decided to turn right in front of me at corner of Main and Dido Valley roads in Simonstown. Ended up at Constantiaberg ER with 12 stitches and both arms in a cast. Bike travelled with me in ambulance????Seeing hand surgeon tomorrow. Possible operation on right hand. Asked my wife to take me back to SAPS in Simonstown to file a reckless and negligent driving. Just came back after docket was opened.

Thoughts are with the family and friends of the cyclist who lost his life yesterday in Diep River.

Be safe out there

Ag nee *** man! Heal up soon dude!

How did the driver react?