• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a major problem in SA

We have a problem area.

We put up a sign "Problem Area"

Problem solved

You takes your chances not our problem you were warned.

I drove through one of those hot spots yesterday late afternoon and was simply amazed at how many single totally oblivious cyclists I passed. Not everyone read the Bikehubs' warnings. A sign or two could not have hurt by making them more aware to be cautious or to take another route. Yes, I want the ******* caught, drawn and quartered too, but every bit helps. Even a sign.

Edited by DJR

I drove through one of those hot spots yesterday late afternoon and was simply amazed at how many single totally oblivious cyclists I passed. Not everyone read the Bikehubs' warnings. A sign or two could not have hurt by making them more aware to be cautious or to take another route. Yes, I want the ******* caught, drawn and quartered too, but every bit helps. Even a sign.

I have no problem with signs and would think they are mandatory but that is as far as the "authorities" go.

Make an effort to deal with the cause.

Nada !!

I have no problem with signs and would think they are mandatory but that is as far as the "authorities" go.

Make an effort to deal with the cause.

Nada !!

I agree. I also see zero effort to try solve and prevent any crime at all.

Hi,

Im planning on riding in the am either this week or next thru Simonstown, up to the reserve, thru Scarborough and then crucially over the Ocean View hill and into Noordhoek.

What is the current word on the street regarding going past Ocean View please? 

Will appreciate anyone that knows what the situation is at present.

Look forward to your responses.

Hi,

Im planning on riding in the am either this week or next thru Simonstown, up to the reserve, thru Scarborough and then crucially over the Ocean View hill and into Noordhoek.

What is the current word on the street regarding going past Ocean View please? 

Will appreciate anyone that knows what the situation is at present.

Look forward to your responses.

we favour Kommetjie/Slangkop over Ocean View as follows:

1. if ever riding alone, Slangkop safer...

2. if 2/3/4 of us, we occasionally use Slangkop

3. It FEELS safer whizzing DOWNHILL in a group, than laboring uphill, that might just be me...

When in doubt, go Slangkop - very pretty, fun descent!

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

Our meeting spot is about 2-3km from home and used to be a nice warmup.

But now I'm also having to drive there. :(

#gatvol

Northern suburbs cyclist be alert, I had an attempted robbery/bikejack incident on Waburg road, Joostenbergvlakte yesterday at around 16h40.

I cycle the road alot but is always aware of people walking along the road and pay specific attention to their behavior once they spot me approaching.

Yesterday I spotted 3 people walking along the road towards me, still about 800m ahead. One walking down the centre of the road and the other 2 on the outer edges on both sides. Immediately alarm bells rang as a couple of years ago along Sandringham road next to the railway track, I was involved in an incident where the same thing happened. I immediately prepared myself to be attacked taking out my pepperspray and chosing a comfortable gear to excelerate in.

As I got nearer the one walking in the middle of the road joined the one on the left hand side of the road and they where now walking 2 abreast towards me. The one on the right had outer edge of the road was walking a couple of meters ahead of them, leaving me about a 2 metre gap in between them to pass through. I then new the attacked was going to happen.

About 5 metres from them, the one on the right tried to distract me by waving and greeting me. The next minute one of the two on the left came for me. I then peppersprayed him and the other guy to the left solid while accelerating. In the process I emptied half of the full can of pepperspray I had. Unfortunately due to the windy conditions also got some pepperspray fumes in my face. 300m further after making certain that the attackers were well gone, I had to stop as I could hardly see through my eyes. Fortunately I had a nearly full water bottle and started rinsing my eyes with water- no rubbing. After about 10 minutes I could open my eyes again and rode home and jumped in the pool. Hel the stuff is potent. Burning on my skin continued at least for another hour or so.

But yes, not a hand layed on me during the ordeal for which I would like to thank my Heavenly Farther for His protection.

I gave alot of detail so that should you be unfortunate to go through the same situation, you will be able to recognise the modus operandi of these thuggs and prepare in advance.

And btw just a tip, ride with the pepperspray in your hand and your finger om the trigger because there's no time to take it out once the attack happens.

Be safe out there guys!

Northern suburbs cyclist be alert, I had an attempted robbery/bikejack incident on Waburg road, Joostenbergvlakte yesterday at around 16h40.

I cycle the road alot but is always aware of people walking along the road and pay specific attention to their behavior once they spot me approaching.

Yesterday I spotted 3 people walking along the road towards me, still about 800m ahead. One walking down the centre of the road and the other 2 on the outer edges on both sides. Immediately alarm bells rang as a couple of years ago along Sandringham road next to the railway track, I was involved in an incident where the same thing happened. I immediately prepared myself to be attacked taking out my pepperspray and chosing a comfortable gear to excelerate in.

As I got nearer the one walking in the middle of the road joined the one on the left hand side of the road and they where now walking 2 abreast towards me. The one on the right had outer edge of the road was walking a couple of meters ahead of them, leaving me about a 2 metre gap in between them to pass through. I then new the attacked was going to happen.

About 5 metres from them, the one on the right tried to distract me by waving and greeting me. The next minute one of the two on the left came for me. I then peppersprayed him and the other guy to the left solid while accelerating. In the process I emptied half of the full can of pepperspray I had. Unfortunately due to the windy conditions also got some pepperspray fumes in my face. 300m further after making certain that the attackers were well gone, I had to stop as I could hardly see through my eyes. Fortunately I had a nearly full water bottle and started rinsing my eyes with water- no rubbing. After about 10 minutes I could open my eyes again and rode home and jumped in the pool. Hel the stuff is potent. Burning on my skin continued at least for another hour or so.

But yes, not a hand layed on me during the ordeal for which I would like to thank my Heavenly Farther for His protection.

I gave alot of detail so that should you be unfortunate to go through the same situation, you will be able to recognise the modus operandi of these thuggs and prepare in advance.

And btw just a tip, ride with the pepperspray in your hand and your finger om the trigger because there's no time to take it out once the attack happens.

Be safe out there guys!

Thanks for the detailed report.

I've always wondered if anyone have managed to use pepperspray successfully and how bad the blowback was. The one attack that I've managed to foil it was quite essential to have two hands solidly planted on the bars to keep control of the bike. It was a very similar attack to yours. I moved into the attacker as soon as he lunged at me and shoulder charged him, bouncing off of him and staying upright even though I came off the saddle and my one foot unclipped. I'm still not sure what the best approach is regarding pepperspray...

...ans did you at least manage to spray them enough to disable them temporarily or couldn't you see well enough

Glad you're ok ... pepper spray aside, I think it was more your awareness that should be highlighted.

Seems most attacks happen when we are distracted and/or just not paying enough attention.

And yes, as others have mentioned, perhaps consider turning around if able to.

#gatvol