Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

16 hours ago, gemmerbal said:

That poor individual appeared to be someone with a very basic bicycle, there was a post on Titanium Security’s socials with a photo showing the front end of the bike. I walk my rotties along that shoulder by Haasendal on most nights, and last night I spoke with the security regarding the incident. They have extensive cameras along the fence on Bottelary but that incident was further along opposite Koopmanskloof entrance. Most probably a poor soul on his way home after work. But nonetheless, I see many cyclists on Bottelary rd in the early evening so its not as quiet as might be perceived. I too ride this road almost daily. A couple of weeks ago there was an attempted robbery on the shoulder by Haasendal’s solar plant, they saw it on their cameras and dispatched their security who took no time to dish out some kangaroo justice to the 6 youngsters who were caught on camera. I stood there thinking: do I set the dogs free or just leave it alone. I chose the latter. I watched a healthy dose of PK’s being dished out, then carried on my merry way. Later the security guy who recognised me stopped and gave me the rundown.

This incident has me concerned as it doesn't appear to have any modus operandi other than a senseless murder which means it's probably gang related (to get initiated they need to murder someone). This is now the 2nd murder of a local in the space of a few month. We found a body at the entrance to the mtb trail a few months back as well, also stabbed and shot.
We are living in a sick *&^$ world 😔

BTW, I've passed you and your dogs a few times there and I'm always concerned they might be hungry and help themselves to my calves 😄 They're very well behaved though, congrats on good training 👍

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, Mamil said:

That's why I have a minor household account linked to the phone - he'll get something for his efforts but giving him access to my business account, personal account, bond etcetera via my main bank's app isn't going to happen. And if he decides he has to shoot me because he's getting a smaller haul than he might have had, then he was probably going to shoot me anyway.

Yeah sorry for the harsh comment - maybe the PTSD of the 2 attacks on me on my bike the past year & half coming out. From my lived experience these guys do violence first and then worry about the finer details like the size of the haul later.

2 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

Yeah sorry for the harsh comment - maybe the PTSD of the 2 attacks on me on my bike the past year & half coming out. From my lived experience these guys do violence first and then worry about the finer details like the size of the haul later.

Ja it's hectic - didn't know you'd had 2 attacks!! That's horrible man!

3 minutes ago, Mamil said:

Ja it's hectic - didn't know you'd had 2 attacks!! That's horrible man!

First one I got away unscathed, 2nd one the brick the guy threw at me did some nasty damage to my wheel but I managed to dodge the bastard so it could have been much worse. Certainly not save to cycle on your own in the dark (ironically both times I was on my way to a group ride )

2 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

First one I got away unscathed, 2nd one the brick the guy threw at me did some nasty damage to my wheel but I managed to dodge the bastard so it could have been much worse. Certainly not save to cycle on your own in the dark (ironically both times I was on my way to a group ride )

I was always one to ride from home, but I too have been driving to the group meeting point instead because of incidents in and around the area. ☹

We do what we must to try and stay safe. 🙏

On 6/18/2024 at 5:40 PM, Eddy Gordo said:

Damn, Most weekends I ride bridal alone as it is way better than the opposite end. 

Hmm, will take a chance one day when I feel brave enough/prepared, but I aint just surrendering!!!

Should be fine all the way up to The Bridal Path (not had any issues at that level), it's a bit further up where the issues have been.

Edited by marko35s
Horrific spelling

On 6/18/2024 at 5:20 PM, marko35s said:

You will be okay on the trails, just don't go up to the mast on your own as all the muggings have effectively happened on a 100m stretch of the road that offers multiple escape routes.

There are efforts being made to make it more secure but nothing new has been put in place yet.

I'm happy to donate a couple of gin traps to be set up along the skelms escape routes.

Not sure if this affects the safety of any of the inner city cycling routes?

Eviction order granted for tent city removals "along Buitengracht Street, FW De Klerk Boulevard, Foregate Square, Helen Suzman Boulevard, Strand Street, Foreshore/N1, Virginia Avenue and Mill Street Bridge in the city centre."

https://groundup.org.za/article/high-court-grants-order-to-evict-about-200-homeless-people-at-several-inner-city-sites-but-orders-the-city-to-house-them-at-its-safe-spaces/

https://www.iol.co.za/capeargus/news/high-court-grants-city-final-eviction-order-to-remove-people-illegally-occupying-the-cbd-bc7acfaf-b49f-4ab8-bd43-f0bdccba35ec

Edited by Anthem24
added IOL link

1 hour ago, Anthem24 said:

Not sure if this affects the safety of any of the inner city cycling routes?

Eviction order granted for tent city removals "along Buitengracht Street, FW De Klerk Boulevard, Foregate Square, Helen Suzman Boulevard, Strand Street, Foreshore/N1, Virginia Avenue and Mill Street Bridge in the city centre."

https://groundup.org.za/article/high-court-grants-order-to-evict-about-200-homeless-people-at-several-inner-city-sites-but-orders-the-city-to-house-them-at-its-safe-spaces/

https://www.iol.co.za/capeargus/news/high-court-grants-city-final-eviction-order-to-remove-people-illegally-occupying-the-cbd-bc7acfaf-b49f-4ab8-bd43-f0bdccba35ec

good news...

will be worrying to see where they move to... (we know they don't want to stay in the shelters)

Agreed, a positive develeopment very long overdue.

The City of Cape Town simply MUST clean up the grime and crime unless it wants to allow its inner city to die together with the goose that lays golden eggs for it, tourism. I am sorry for the homeless, and have many years of co-existing with them in my neck of the woods, but as it stands since Covid, it is totally out of control and needs to be addressed. 

43 minutes ago, DJR said:

Agreed, a positive develeopment very long overdue.

The City of Cape Town simply MUST clean up the grime and crime unless it wants to allow its inner city to die together with the goose that lays golden eggs for it, tourism. I am sorry for the homeless, and have many years of co-existing with them in my neck of the woods, but as it stands since Covid, it is totally out of control and needs to be addressed. 

With the semigration trend currently the resources of WC/Cpt will be severely stretch. It is also naive to expect only the affluent and/or law-abiding participating in this. 

For the administrators this will be a difficult storm to negotiate, I am relatively certain of two things - tariffs charges will increase above CPI and any perceive lack of immediate response, to attempts making governance difficult, will be exploited.

For us normal people wanting to enjoy the spoils of the peninsula it will be a challenging time, closing rank will not work, getting involve via some community organisation will go along way to comprehend the magnitude of the challenge and built rapport with like-minded, albeit poorer neighbours.

Edited by vanniri

was there some kind of knife attack on a trail runner on Table Mnt yesterday?