Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

Two ladies riding towards Tokai, one was dragged off her bike just after the intersection of Tokai & Zwaanswyk roads by two perpetrators.

One hopped on the bike and gapped it leaving his buddy behind.

Another rider followed the stolen bike.

In the meantime Tokaimtb, Premier Security, SANParks and local security started searching for the bike.

The rider that had followed the stolen bike eventually pushed the perpetrator off the bike, leaving him to run off towards Westlake.

Premier Security and SANParks effected an arrest of the remaining perpetrator and the bike was returned to the owner.

One guy still on the loose.

It should be pointed out that numerous attempts were made to call Kistenhof police, they simply did not answer their phone.

Basically riders, security companies and Tokaimtb got together and the whole thing was dealt with in six minutes. No thanks to the police...

Can one not cable tie the perp to the fence until the police arrive with a big sign stating - armed robber.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can one not cable tie the perp to the fence until the police arrive with a big sign stating - armed robber.

I was more thinking along the lines of offering my services to extract the name of his buddy in crime from him........ :ph34r: 

Edited by DJR

I was more thinking along the lines of offering my services to extract the name of his buddy in crime from him........ :ph34r: 

That's a threat with some teeth  :devil:

I believe a lady was mugged and robbed of her road bike on Friday morning between 6-6:30am on Bottelary Road as well, near the Hazendal entrance :cursing:

Two ladies riding towards Tokai, one was dragged off her bike just after the intersection of Tokai & Zwaanswyk roads by two perpetrators.

In the meantime Tokaimtb, Premier Security, SANParks and local security started searching for the bike.

The rider that had followed the stolen bike eventually pushed the perpetrator off the bike, leaving him to run off towards Westlake.

Premier Security and SANParks effected an arrest of the remaining perpetrator and the bike was returned to the owner.

It should be pointed out that numerous attempts were made to call Kistenhof police, they simply did not answer their phone.

Basically riders, security companies and Tokaimtb got together and the whole thing was dealt with in six minutes. No thanks to the police...

A Bells for Premier Security, TokaiMTB & Sanparks! 

I hope that neither cyclist was hurt and that the bikes are undamaged.

What time of the morning was this ?

Good work Mark & Co

more like cable tie him to a fence.....far off the beaten path...and 'forget' where you left him.... :cursing:

i'll say this again....i'm up for going through that Woodstock cycle lane at night a few times in a group and luring out an altercation and beating the **** out off anything and everything that doesn't say City of Cape town on it.

Alot on here don't like it but sometimes thats the only way imo. hit back.

The taxis do it? The disgruntled people in informal settlements do it?....we can and should do it too. Cyclists in general are seen as timid in demeanour so they are easy targets. I'm not any cyclist... 

Maybe then the city will step up and do something. <_<

Edited by morneS555

The solution to gangsterism is to become a gangster?

There are so many criminals that the only way through is to become a criminal too?

more like cable tie him to a fence.....far off the beaten path...and 'forget' where you left him.... :cursing:

i'll say this again....i'm up for going through that Woodstock cycle lane at night a few times in a group and luring out an altercation and beating the **** out off anything and everything that doesn't say City of Cape town on it.

Alot on here don't like it but thats sometimes thats the only way imo. hit back.

The taxis do it? The disgruntled people in informal settlements do it?....we can and should do it too. Cyclists in general have are seen as timid in demeanour so they are easy targets. I'm not any cyclist... 

The solution to gangsterism is to become a gangster?

There are so many criminals that the only way through is to become a criminal too?

when it seems like the system is failing....or doesn't even care, and you need to protect yourself from said failings then yes. Why do people even vote these days for that matter? what are you voting for? more lies but from a person that is the 'right colour'? Screw that, I stopped voting last year for this reason exactly. i'm not a sheep. I want results...(and i will punish them as such)

Edited by morneS555

in any case, every month they probably take 40%+ of one's salary if you are on here talking about bikes in your free time.....so you should start feeling marginalised and aggravated about therir lies and lack of interest too imo....

We need to stop being a victims and stop waiting for these lying politicians to do something about it. They don't care. They will only care again in a few years time when your little X means the world to them. 

PS: I live in the area. And for me it means not being able to get out of the woodstock area any time after 8 a.m on a bike if I don't feel like being killed on the n1 by a car. So these days i just leave my bike behind the 'cushy boerewors gordyn' at the in laws...which means i only get to ride it over weekends....in the (getting boring) bike parks. But even the gordyn is getting iffy with all the bike jackings going on. you have to think twice riding to said parks alone these days. Maybe a good thing though, because once it's on the doorsteps of the voter base...maybe then something will happen?

meh. ignore me. rant over.

it won't change the way i feel about this at the moment though

Edited by morneS555

when it seems like the system is failing....or doesn't even care, and you need to protect yourself from said failings then yes. Why do people even vote these days for that matter? what are you voting for? more lies but from a person that is the 'right colour'? Screw that, I stopped voting last year for this reason exactly. i'm not a sheep. I want results...(and i will punish them as such)

Don't Boo, vote!

Don't Boo, vote!

i'll vote by not voting thanks...none of them represent me or my ideals remotely anymore.

anyway, enough of this, why am i talking politics on a cycling forum? :wacko:  ^_^

Sorry I got so aggravated yesterday about a stupid bicycle lane but when the few freedoms we have left are being attacked like this, coupled by that empty feeling you get from looking to local government to do something about it - knowing full well they wont really do anything....its demoralising and hard to stay positive. We moved to CT from GP 6 years ago for the lifestyle. When that is also gone..........

i'll vote by not voting thanks...none of them represent me or my ideals remotely anymore.

anyway, enough of this, why am i talking politics on a cycling forum? :wacko:  ^_^

Sorry I got so aggravated yesterday about a stupid bicycle lane but when the few freedoms we have left are being attacked like this, coupled by that empty feeling you get from looking to local government to do something about it - knowing full well they wont really do anything....its demoralising and hard to stay positive. We moved to CT from GP 6 years ago for the lifestyle. When that is also gone..........

I should add that received feedback from the "transport communication center" yesterday where they had my string of tweets copied into it and they resolved to have their inspectors place the law-enforcement officers in the right places and to ensure they are vigilant. 

This could sound like an empty promise, but yesterday we saw two different groups of law-enforcement searching through some of the settlements and stopping and searching people who come onto the lanes via broken fences, etc.....so something is afoot.

I also know from someone in council that they are taking this seriously and have a panel looking at various options etc.

I should add that received feedback from the "transport communication center" yesterday where they had my string of tweets copied into it and they resolved to have their inspectors place the law-enforcement officers in the right places and to ensure they are vigilant. 

This could sound like an empty promise, but yesterday we saw two different groups of law-enforcement searching through some of the settlements and stopping and searching people who come onto the lanes via broken fences, etc.....so something is afoot.

I also know from someone in council that they are taking this seriously and have a panel looking at various options etc.

Hairy, I hear you, and I am happy about action from the authorities as well.

I am just of the opinion that they (collective authorities) have the memory capacity of goldfish. Before you know it they will forget about the cycle lane crime problem and it will return.

I know why this is (I think):

They (authorities) do not have a good and clear long term / big picture plan, and if they have, then they do not have the management to enforce its continued implementation. If they do have that, then they don't have the capable and trained feet on the ground to do the work right. Or they are short of budget or the tools needed. What they do, is all reactive. They wait for an incident, react to it, move on to the next incident! Forget about the previous one and repeat the cycle to get nowhere. :(

I know this does not offer a solution, but I strongly disagree with some comments above about taking the law into our own hands. Down that path lays anarchy. What we should do is exactly what you are doing: pressure the law enforcement and the politicians to do something! Keep doing it! (Thank you for what you are doing yourself!)

Edited by DJR

@Morne - I keep getting flashes of you dondering some joker on the bike lane and then news24 quoting your posts above as you sit in the cell waiting for your trial.

Sure we all feel like kicking someone in the shimano with our bontragers when they almost run us over on the bike lane or our bikes are stolen from under us but vigilante justice isn't the way. 

Alot on here don't like it but sometimes thats the only way imo. hit back.

The taxis do it? The disgruntled people in informal settlements do it?....we can and should do it too. Cyclists in general are seen as timid in demeanour so they are easy targets. I'm not any cyclist... 

I get, I really do. But think how this may escalate violence against the next cyclist they want to mug. And eye for an eye and we all go blind, and really, we've moved on from the old testament somewhat...

The solution lies in proper policing and full engagement from all agencies and authorities.

No wait!! (since this thread has devolved into something other than Cape Town danger areas), the solution lies in education and employment. And that's a far-reaching topic, I'm sure we'll all agree. How awesome would it be for one of those skebangas being employed as a security guy on the cycle lane and being paid to do so. Pie-in-the-sky maybe, but can't we aim at that?

<rant off>