The official Riding with Kids thread

TYGA

Bought my son the 20'' version of that bike 2 years back. Crap that thing is heavy, and my son never showed any enthusiasm for cycling using that hunk of metal.

Picked up a second-hand Titan Hades for cheap before the weekend just so that my son could have something more ridable when playing with his friends - suddenly he is a new child - can't separate him from his bicycle! 

Man I feel like a horrible parent for forcing him to ride that thing for 2 years  :ph34r:

Weird you found the bike heavier than all the others, perhaps the 20" is different. In that range i found the avalanche to be pretty light compared to the competitors. Without the training wheels on it inst too shabby. My daughters 16" Titan was way heavier.

Will try and weigh it and post it here, just need to go visit Pikey and borrow his fishy scale again  :whistling:

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

WEIGHT WEENIES!!!!

I know some of you okes out there like to spend R3k to drop 90g off your roadbike, but when a bike weighs +40% of your kid's body weight it should be more importanter!!

if you got the time, please help us put together a list of the best kids bikes around, you will need to weigh the bikes!

fill in the form here

https://goo.gl/forms/jsvjVhPUF4S659D13

see the answers here

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1BKJv7nmKmDZ7HlJcvb9sO4rCDw_A5E6Rqtrf2FBmA7I/edit?usp=sharing

WEIGHT WEENIES!!!!

I know some of you okes out there like to spend R3k to drop 90g off your roadbike, but when a bike weighs +40% of your kid's body weight it should be more importanter!!

if you got the time, please help us put together a list of the best kids bikes around, you will need to weigh the bikes!

fill in the form here

https://goo.gl/forms/jsvjVhPUF4S659D13

see the answers here

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1BKJv7nmKmDZ7HlJcvb9sO4rCDw_A5E6Rqtrf2FBmA7I/edit?usp=sharing

good idea!

Weird you found the bike heavier than all the others, perhaps the 20" is different. In that range i found the avalanche to be pretty light compared to the competitors. Without the training wheels on it inst too shabby. My daughters 16" Titan was way heavier.

Will try and weigh it and post it here, just need to go visit Pikey and borrow his fishy scale again  :whistling:

Maybe it was just that particular model of that year? I honestly don't even want to sell the thing on gumtree because that might pass on the torture to a new child.

That said, his younger sister is fine on her 16'' avalanche, maybe she is just a tougher cookie...

Probably because the barrier to entry is too high, does Giant, Spez or Scott bring in BMX, no. Therefore they are not readily available for the public to purchase. Even buying a decent kids bike is tough in SA.

I also don't know how Spez get away with selling that hunk of lead to kids. I have seen mothers at the bike park struggling to lift the thing into their Range Rovers.

All very good points. It's a chicken and egg situation. Sport not big so shops don't stock the RIGHT BIKES.

You say barrier and I agree it's hard to get into at first. But I must say it's the cheapest form of riding. Because it's kids based and they all grow so basically bikes are bought and sold every year or two. Not many people buys new bikes. Bikes don't cost a lot. My son's yellow Intense was R3k and I got my older boy a top of the range Free Agent which came with two frames for R7k. I would say the average value of bikes ridden at the nationals over the weekend was R5k. Kit is basically motocross stuff. Maintenance is about zero. I've never bought a chain or even a tyre in the last 2 years. Entry fee to ride a club race is a whopping 80 bucks.

Unfortunately no TV coverage and no funding means this awesome sport goes under the radar in South Africa.

I talk out of experience where I too got my boys into MTB riding. And they still do, but they love the simplicity of BMX and would rather go to the bmx track than hit the trails. When they do ride their MTB's I can tell you there skill levels have changed dramatically.

I just wish more people gave it a try.

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

All very good points. It's a chicken and egg situation. Sport not big so shops don't stock the RIGHT BIKES.

You say barrier and I agree it's hard to get into at first. But I must say it's the cheapest form of riding. Because it's kids based and they all grow so basically bikes are bought and sold every year or two. Not many people buys new bikes. Bikes don't cost a lot. My son's yellow Intense was R3k and I got my older boy a top of the range Free Agent which came with two frames for R7k. I would say the average value of bikes ridden at the nationals over the weekend was R5k. Kit is basically motocross stuff. Maintenance is about zero. I've never bought a chain or even a tyre in the last 2 years. Entry fee to ride a club race is a whopping 80 bucks.

Unfortunately no TV coverage and no funding means this awesome sport goes under the radar in South Africa.

I talk out of experience where I too got my boys into MTB riding. And they still do, but they love the simplicity of BMX and would rather go to the bmx track than hit the trails. When they do ride their MTB's I can tell you there skill levels have changed dramatically.

did BMX see a big surge when this was happening?...if not then that is a huge opportunity missed

610x.jpg

https://www.iol.co.za/sport/more-sport/i-was-born-to-ride-bmx-nhlapo-674887

Would have been an option for my youngster if I could find one and if I could get drop bars on it. :P

did BMX see a big surge when this was happening?...if not then that is a huge opportunity missed

610x.jpg

https://www.iol.co.za/sport/more-sport/i-was-born-to-ride-bmx-nhlapo-674887

Sifiso was great for BMX and at the time did get good coverage on Supercycling. Unfortunately he's long since retired and lives in the USA.

We had representation at the last Olympics with Kyle Dodd but unless you were watching the SS channels covering the racing you would never had known.

Leads me to my next point. 2 weeks after Olympics Kyle back racing locally, my boys lining up next to him in the gates practicing, and he's giving them tips. Their hero, right there talking to them. Not too many sports where you get to do that with the Pro's just because.

Edited by WrightJnr

• 3 weeks later...

2fe959ba078f31cd72ee801713ad6a98.jpg

223f35117b5a3e3b94d968c40ca52e75.jpg

191a884fd14491d277c8aa691a75309c.jpg

5aee6222e383eb53c36e773c2053e69f.jpg

50f7e058666999f8702d5e45d0184fee.jpg

We had a rather busy bike weekend! We did the constania green belt from Alphen hotel to the top and back down, no faceplants, just plenty of puddles.

Then we pulled in at Hazendale bike park, he loved the pump track and the flow trail and the obstacles.

We then hit up the sea point prom twice, once 7km and the next 10km. He has now mastered, climbing out the saddle, riding one handed, planting his foot when he does sharp corners, (I blame oli Munik) and he loves going no feet [emoji23]

He is very happy to do and hour and a half of riding, just needs some bars and water. He now tells me to bring my bike if we going riding as I run too slowly....

This is mostly a "feel-good" thread - and so it SHOULD be.

The hard reality is that cycling has its dangers .....

We invested in a skills coach.  A couple more sessions riding with the skills coach and other young riders.  :thumbup:

Boys will be boys .... and so he gained confidence in his normal routes, and started going faster and faster .....

And then it happened .....

- too fast

- Seated when he hit a bump, knocking his foot off the pedal

- could not have happened at a worse spot ,,,, AT the start of a short steep drop !

- uncontrolled landing ....

- superman-pose

- and the hard stop.  (not to mention my mini hart attack watching all of this)  :eek:

Thankfully he only got a small scrape on his elbow.

Most importantly, he got back on his bike and cycled back to the starting point.  After a milkshake he wanted to ride some more....  :clap:  

a week later we were back, and did the full course.    :thumbup:   :thumbup:

This is mostly a "feel-good" thread - and so it SHOULD be.

The hard reality is that cycling has its dangers .....

We invested in a skills coach. A couple more sessions riding with the skills coach and other young riders. [emoji106]

Boys will be boys .... and so he gained confidence in his normal routes, and started going faster and faster .....

And then it happened .....

- too fast

- Seated when he hit a bump, knocking his foot off the pedal

- could not have happened at a worse spot ,,,, AT the start of a short steep drop !

- uncontrolled landing ....

- superman-pose

- and the hard stop. (not to mention my mini hart attack watching all of this) :eek:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVWGTCSjuiU

Thankfully he only got a small scrape on his elbow.

Most importantly, he got back on his bike and cycled back to the starting point. After a milkshake he wanted to ride some more.... :clap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxF9TpTPeXE&t=8s

a week later we were back, and did the full course. [emoji106] [emoji106]

En die ergste van alles is, jy sien hier kom moeilikheid en jy kan niks doen nie. [emoji50][emoji54]

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

En die ergste van alles is, jy sien hier kom moeilikheid en jy kan niks doen nie. [emoji50][emoji54]

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Dis BAIE erger as om jou eie val te hê ....

BAIE bly om te sê vandag se pret-trap by Oak Valley (Elgin) het goed gegaan.  En daar was n paar monster afdraende !!!!  Sal more die video edit en oplaai ....

WOW !!!

Saw what kids CAN do today !!!!

Mom and dad, with three daughters .....  Little one probably 9 months old, sitting on one of those yellow chairs.  The other two probably 5 and 7 years old ....

They did more than 15km at Oak Valley !!  :eek:   :thumbup:

And that valley you are either going UP or DOWN ... hardly any contour lines .....

Dad would put his hand on the back of one, help her to the top, turn around and go get the other one .... hill after hill after hill ....

We caught up to them at about the 10km mark .... the family having a picnic mid event next to the trail.  For the next couple of kilometers we rode together.

The kids were given support when and where needed, and they were clearly ENJOYING the ride.

well done to the parents, and respect for the young ladies !