The official Riding with Kids thread

TYGA

WOW !!!

Saw what kids CAN do today !!!!

Mom and dad, with three daughters ..... Little one probably 9 months old, sitting on one of those yellow chairs. The other two probably 5 and 7 years old ....

They did more than 15km at Oak Valley !! :eek: :thumbup:

And that valley you are either going UP or DOWN ... hardly any contour lines .....

Dad would put his hand on the back of one, help her to the top, turn around and go get the other one .... hill after hill after hill ....

We caught up to them at about the 10km mark .... the family having a picnic mid event next to the trail. For the next couple of kilometers we rode together.

The kids were given support when and where needed, and they were clearly ENJOYING the ride.

well done to the parents, and respect for the young ladies !

I chatted to the dad today, they are in our church. We regularly see him town riding with his girls.

Ps: that dad was a SA cyclist in school. Lot of talent in their blood.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I chatted to the dad today, they are in our church. We regularly see him town riding with his girls.

Ps: that dad was a SA cyclist in school. Lot of talent in their blood.

He sure is getting a DECENT workout doing each hill twice ... :)

Truly was inspiring to see them.

Please pass on my regards to them.

PS - 14km for us on Saturday, and another 8,5km this afternoon.  GOOD weekend !  Did not get around to editing the video .... will do it during the week ....

Edited by ChrisF

Take enough water, some sweets, and take a few breaks along the way .... and kids will surprize you with just how far they can ride

• 3 weeks later...

SPUR Schools League Western Cape - the first event of 2018 is on Saturday in Somerset West.

This will be Maritz's first SPUR ride.

Bike serviced and ready.

SPUR Schools League Western Cape - the first event of 2018 is on Saturday in Somerset West.

This will be Maritz's first SPUR ride.

Bike serviced and ready.

Go Maritz, remember you've got a whole following here on the Bikehub that will be cheering for you.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Thanks BSG  :thumbup:

Wee bit of rain on the day ....

post-110956-0-57290700-1528551316_thumb.jpg

Sub-nippers (7 to 8 year old kids) race was cancelled .... but they were allowed to do a few laps with the bigger kids doing pre-race practice rounds ....

post-110956-0-70007600-1528551345_thumb.jpg

Thus Maritz's first race was a non-starter   :wacko:  .... But MAN, did he have FUN !!   :clap:

post-110956-0-20333900-1528551393_thumb.jpg

post-110956-0-64666000-1528551418_thumb.jpg

post-110956-0-40163700-1528551450_thumb.jpg

post-110956-0-77328900-1528551479_thumb.jpg

post-110956-0-35376500-1528551513_thumb.jpg

2nd time in 24 hours that his bike is washed and serviced ...   :whistling:    :oops: For this much fun I will service it again tomorrow ...

THANKS to SPUR and the organising team !!!!  We ENJOYED the day !!

Edited by ChrisF

Thanks BSG [emoji106]

Wee bit of rain on the day ....

attachicon.gifSPUR SW 2018-124.jpg

Sub-nippers (7 to 8 year old kids) race was cancelled .... but they were allowed to do a few laps with the bigger kids doing pre-race practice rounds ....

attachicon.gifSPUR SW 2018-101.jpg

Thus Maritz's first race was a non-starter [emoji37] .... But MAN, did he have FUN !! :clap:

attachicon.gifSPUR SW 2018-103.jpg

attachicon.gifSPUR SW 2018-109.jpg

attachicon.gifSPUR SW 2018-110.jpg

attachicon.gifSPUR SW 2018-119.jpg

attachicon.gifSPUR SW 2018-122.jpg

2nd time in 24 hours that his bike is washed and serviced ... :whistling: :oops: For this much fun I will service it again tomorrow ...

THANKS to SPUR and the organising team !!!! We ENJOYED the day !!

I live around the corner. I am one of the guys swinging a spade to fix the route up.

Lieing in bed this morning listening to the rain (20mm today) I was glad I wasn't riding, but I'm dreading going there to see how much damage has been done.

But every time I see a family riding there, it's worth it.

One day it'll be me and my little family riding there.

Edited by PhilipV

I live around the corner. I am one of the guys swinging a spade to fix the route up.

Lieing in bed this morning listening to the rain (20mm today) I was glad I wasn't riding, but I'm dreading going there to see how much damage has been done.

But every time I see a family riding there, it's worth it.

One day it'll be me and my little family riding there.

THANKS !

Absolutely stunning facility !!

Will like to hear how we go about getting a day permit etc ...

By the second race those humps at the top already started to come appart ...

We left during the last primary school race.  All the high school kids still had to practice and race ....

THANKS !

Absolutely stunning facility !!

Will like to hear how we go about getting a day permit etc ...

By the second race those humps at the top already started to come appart ...

We left during the last primary school race. All the high school kids still had to practice and race ....

No day permits. Free mahala forniet.

It's part of city parks, I think it's called a green belt.

The initiative started with the local club getting permission, and then the build was voluntary with help from some very generous local construction companies with most of the features being shaped by the high school kids.

The jumps at the top is one thing I want to fix, along with the berms.

There was talks of doing something similar in Durbanville in those fields above Stellenberg high school, but the old age home objected. Don't know what the outcome was.

WOW !

I heard it is linked to a local cycling club .... thought there might be some fee.

Will certainly come visit again