The official Riding with Kids thread

TYGA

Balance bike recommendations... what should I look for, what should I avoid?

Not many in the classifieds 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Alouette3 said:

Following....

20 minutes ago, Alouette3 said:

One thing you should DEFINITELY have on the balance bike are pegs or foot rests so the kid can put their feet there when free wheeling and doesn't have them out to the side or dragging out the back.

This will teach the kid to stand up while free wheeling and allow them to balance, turn and free wheel using their core and weight.

Standing and turning early will mean a much easier transition to a pedal bike as they will be used to having their feet planted and used to the motion of using the bike in motion while connected.

Otherwise, really, it's a pretty quick transition from balance bike to pedal bike. Don't sweat the other stuff

32 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

One thing you should DEFINITELY have on the balance bike are pegs or foot rests so the kid can put their feet there when free wheeling and doesn't have them out to the side or dragging out the back.

This will teach the kid to stand up while free wheeling and allow them to balance, turn and free wheel using their core and weight.

Standing and turning early will mean a much easier transition to a pedal bike as they will be used to having their feet planted and used to the motion of using the bike in motion while connected.

Otherwise, really, it's a pretty quick transition from balance bike to pedal bike. Don't sweat the other stuff

Agreed. Also the brakes are totally useless on them for tiny hands so I wouldn't make that a criteria when deciding between options. 

Took our 11 year old to Harkerville and did the Red Route. It was a battle for him (and his parents!) at times but he did well despite thee moaning. I upgraded an old Schwinn 26er hardtail for him with a decent fork and he now has the lightest bike of all, and this helped i think. Most kids bikes are horribly heavy, have rubbish tyres and stiff controls. 

4 minutes ago, Headshot said:

Took our 11 year old to Harkerville and did the Red Route. It was a battle for him (and his parents!) at times but he did well despite thee moaning. 

Story of my life: 

“If you put the effort into pedalling that you’re putting into whingeing you wouldn’t be so tired” 

“Stop with the whingeing” 

“Are we at THAT time of the ride - whinge time?”

===

Then she gets past the 10km “I’m totally exhausted” phase and outrides me and everyone else for however long we have left and has an absolute ball doing so 😂 

38 minutes ago, RobynE said:

Story of my life: 

“If you put the effort into pedalling that you’re putting into whingeing you wouldn’t be so tired” 

===

Then she gets past the 10km “I’m totally exhausted” phase and outrides me and everyone else for however long we have left and has an absolute ball doing so 😂 

Maritz went through a phase where he would slow down on long climbs ... slower and slower and slower .... to the point where it was difficult to stay upright.

As soon as he saw I was struggling he would get out the saddle and BLAST up the hill !!

It takes a moment to realise what he is up to ... then get the gearing, get going ... by which time he has a decent lead.

By the time I caught up he would be laughing.

Sadly he is now going through a computer game phase .... I miss our times on the trails.

ENJOY every moment you have them on the bike.

1 hour ago, RobynE said:

Story of my life: 

===

I have an AR friend who just leaves his tow rope attached to his bike. Tows the laaitie up all the hills, lets them enjoy the flow sections and down hills, just means he gets a better workout and the kid enjoys more while still doing some good work.

3 hours ago, Alouette3 said:

We have two Muna balance bikes between the three boys.

The first buy was the more expensive one and the main difference is the foot rest, but it looks like they are no longer available.

Both gets used daily and they look battered, think that is the reason why there is not many for sale, gets passed on and even the 7 year old rides it daily.

The eldest was a slow transition to normal pedal bike, but the middle one, made the switch very early with no side wheels. Just this weekend he amazed me with his balance and determination to get up the hills, he is 4.

When we ride, the little one is on a Feva seat, I hook his balance bike over the handlebar grip and the three of us is down the road to our little flow line.

I can recommend the Muna!

If I had the $ an EarlyRider of David Mecer would have been on the list.

2 hours ago, Alouette3 said:

My son started out on a Muna Balance Bike and you are 100% going in the right direction. He transitioned over to a pedal bike with little difficulty. My almost 2 year old daughter has now taken it over and is loving riding her bike.

A couple of things we looked at:
- Try to get some proper rubber tyres, This made a massive difference when venturing off road. The plastic type 1's really don't provide much grip. The inner tubes also help to provide a little cushioning.
- Make sure to get an adjustable seat post with as much adjustment as possible.
- Brakes aren't necessary, a good shoe will do the trick. The levers don't really make them very efficient. However, my son did like to use it (A drum type brake) and it did slow him down a little. One huge benefit that we only realised once on a pedal bike was that he always goes straight for the back brake now, as he only has a rear brake on his balance bike. No OTB's for him yet!
- Try to get as light a bike as you can afford. His balance bike had a steel frame, which he did find a little on the heavy side at 1st, however the finances were not there for aluminum, however lighter definitely is better. I believe Specialized even do a carbon balance bike.
- I think 12 inch wheels is a good place to start for a a balance bike.

Hope this helps and I hope that many happy miles on the bike lie ahead.

On 7/10/2024 at 11:46 AM, JohanDiv said:

Following this thread so long.. my laaitie comes in December! 😁

Lekker!!!

nog baie tyd. 
met jou die fiets soveel as wat jy kan die eerste jaar van jou kind se lewe. Jy gaan eers weer soveel tyd kry wanneer jou laaste kind 4 jaar oud is.