• 'Dale

• Hairy

• gummibear

• Eddy Gordo

Top Posters In This Topic

*Duct Tape

The ducks get upset when you mention tape close to them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's both. Duck Tape originally, because the marines used it to waterproof certain items and it repelled water like water "off a duck's back"  - the name Duck Tape was borne. 

Later, it was used to seal duct-work. Hence, duct tape. 

Both equally applicable. Technically, Duct Tape is the silver variety. 

Check before you correct ;)

Edited by Myles Mayhew

Ha ha ha - I feel a bit sorry for them as it obviously wasn't on purpose, but it's also funny. Okay, well I think it's funny. At least it's not a cricket ball.

It's both. Duck Tape originally, because the marines used it to waterproof certain items and it repelled water like water "off a duck's back"  - the name Duck Tape was borne. 

amo boxes more specifically. lots of amo was being damaged en-route to the pacific theater ... at least that is how I know it.

It's both. Duck Tape originally, because the marines used it to waterproof certain items and it repelled water like water "off a duck's back" - the name Duck Tape was borne.

Isn't Duck Tape also a brand name?

Isn't Duck Tape also a brand name?

yep.

Dear Duct Tape Users:

Is it Duct or Duck? We don’t want you to be confused, so we will explain. The first name for Duct Tape was DUCK. During World War II the U.S. Military needed a waterproof tape to keep the moisture out of ammunition cases. So, they enlisted the Johnson and Johnson Permacel Division to manufacture the tape. Because it was waterproof, everyone referred to it as “duck” tape (like water off a duck’s back). Military personnel discovered that the tape was good for lots more than keeping out water. They used it for Jeep repair, fixing stuff on their guns, strapping equipment to their clothing... the list is endless.

After the War, the housing industry was booming and someone discovered that the tape was great for joining the heating and air conditioning duct work. So, the color was changed from army green to the silvery color we are familiar with today and people started to refer to it as “duct tape*.” Therefore, either name is appropriate.

Today, Duck® brand Tape is manufactured by ShurTech. After thoroughly familiarizing ourselves with the hundreds of duct tapes on the market, we have found Duck® brand Tape to be the most consistent in quality. And, we are delighted with the large array of colors that they manufacture (including camo tape and new “X-Treme Tape” which comes in hot day-glo colors).

Jim and I do lots of appearances promoting Duck® brand Tape and do so without reservation. Therefore, we go by both The Duct Tape Guys, and The Duck Tape Guys. And, we use the words Duck and Duct interchangeably throughout our web site.

So, whether you call it Duct Tape or Duck Tape... you are still using the “Ultimate Power Tool” in our estimation.

yep.

Dear Duct Tape Users:

Is it Duct or Duck? We don’t want you to be confused, so we will explain. The first name for Duct Tape was DUCK. During World War II the U.S. Military needed a waterproof tape to keep the moisture out of ammunition cases. So, they enlisted the Johnson and Johnson Permacel Division to manufacture the tape. Because it was waterproof, everyone referred to it as “duck” tape (like water off a duck’s back). Military personnel discovered that the tape was good for lots more than keeping out water. They used it for Jeep repair, fixing stuff on their guns, strapping equipment to their clothing... the list is endless.

After the War, the housing industry was booming and someone discovered that the tape was great for joining the heating and air conditioning duct work. So, the color was changed from army green to the silvery color we are familiar with today and people started to refer to it as “duct tape*.” Therefore, either name is appropriate.

Today, Duck® brand Tape is manufactured by ShurTech. After thoroughly familiarizing ourselves with the hundreds of duct tapes on the market, we have found Duck® brand Tape to be the most consistent in quality. And, we are delighted with the large array of colors that they manufacture (including camo tape and new “X-Treme Tape” which comes in hot day-glo colors).

Jim and I do lots of appearances promoting Duck® brand Tape and do so without reservation. Therefore, we go by both The Duct Tape Guys, and The Duck Tape Guys. And, we use the words Duck and Duct interchangeably throughout our web site.

So, whether you call it Duct Tape or Duck Tape... you are still using the “Ultimate Power Tool” in our estimation.

and the only thing better than Duck or Duct tape is Gorilla Tape

http://www.gorillatough.com/sites/default/files/Gorilla%20Tape%2035yd%20-%20New%20Wrap-newsize_0.png

I'm using that as rim tape on one of my bikes. Haven't thought about it for a long time, so it must be working well.

I have a bit of the silver variety rolled around my mtb bike pumps, for those little emergencies that tend to find you somewhere far up a mountain. I recently taped together a fellow riders shoe to get him home. Which reminds me, I must put some new tape on the pump. 

Edited by DJR

http://www.gorillatough.com/sites/default/files/Gorilla%20Tape%2035yd%20-%20New%20Wrap-newsize_0.png

I am also a big fan.

LBS uses it to do tubeless conversions on the MTB

I have used it as a chainstay guard and then you get a clear one that I use for frame protector underneath the downtube for the occasional stone flicking up.

just amazing !!

all about the live music played during silent films for dramatic effect.

can you imagine designing that lot on a drawing board with a ruler and a slide rule?

then getting a foundry, mill, steel shop, cabinet maker, seamstress, (who makes organ pipes) without a CNC machine in sight, as well as some more craftsmen to set it all up and then get someone to tune it 100 years ago?

It's not something you do in your garage. it's a professional workshop team for a year.