I have an idea for a new thread...

TNT1

Yeah, those foils on the side do a lot for the stability on a beat! 

the vendee rule is 5 appendages only.

So there's a few different configurations of what you can do.

You have canting keels that increase the righting moment (but then you need daggerboards to stop the boat slipping sideways)

and there's adjustable water ballast too.

The u shaped foils on the side 'lift' the boat out the water with the hydrofoil effect, reducing drag.

short thing is, you can seriously power up these boats (and everything is hydraulic so pulling sheets not an issue)

Edited by BikePub

• Replies 78.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• Hairy

• gummibear

• Eddy Gordo

Top Posters In This Topic

should be in the waterfront currently..this happened wednesday

http://www.vendeeglobe.org/medias/03/60/36069/kojiro-shiraishi-arrives-in-cape-town-r-1680-1200.jpg

Sailing post 4 of 3

http://sailinganarchy.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Sodebo1210_020-3500x2333.jpg

While the recent focus in the sailing news has been on the boats racing in the Vendée Globe and the epic battle between Armel Le Cléac’h racing Banque Populaire and Alex Thomson on Hugo Boss, we are missing what is quite possibly an even greater story. I am talking about Tomas Coville aboard Sodebo vying for the single-handed, non-stop circumnavigation record. Coville is currently approaching Cape Horn at the tip of South America and will be rounding that famous Cape in the next couple of hours providing all goes well – which of course we hope that it does.

Coville is going after the record set in 2007 by the amazing French sailor Francis Joyon. The time to beat is 57 days, 13 hours, 34 minutes and 6 seconds and for now Coville and Sodebo are slaying the pace. As of writing Sodebo is almost 1,900 nautical miles ahead of where Joyon was at the same time into his circumnavigation. At the speeds Sodebo is traveling that’s well over three days ahead and with most of hard part, the Southern Ocean, behind him.

Let me put this into perspective. Tomas Coville is alone aboard a massive trimaran sailing through some of the most treacherous waters on the planet. The boat is over 100-feet in length (101.7 to be exact) and has a beam of 69 feet. That’s a big boat by any measure. The mast stands 115 feet off the deck and here is the big number; the mainsail is 3,050 square feet in sail area.  That is over 1,300 square feet bigger than those huge mainsails found on the VOR 65’s, in other words a full 75% bigger and the VOR 60 main’s are not small and are a handful to manage with a full crew. Did I mention that Coville is alone?

Since starting from France 20 days ago Sodebo has averaged 29.7 knots. Averaged. The boat has been peeling off days runs f well over 600 miles. A quick look at the “dashboard” on board Sodebo shows that he is sailing at 27 knots in 27 knots of wind and has covered 510 miles in the last 24 hours. The course that Coville has sailed over the last few days has been well south of the latitude of Cape Horn in fact he was approaching the Screaming Sixties. The danger of extreme weather and ice has been a constant and there really is no good way for Coville to keep an eye out for ice and debris in the water. It’s a high stakes game of Russian Roulette.

So far Coville has sailed almost 19,000 miles without hitting anything and pretty much without incident. Let’s hope that he can make it around the corner and out of the Southern Ocean and then a safe transit up the Atlantic and back to France. I can’t tell you how impressed I am with this man and what he has accomplished.

Sailing post 5 of 3

The world is moving damned quickly; we just got notice from our old South African friends at Aerospective that Romain Attanasio is in Simon’s Town, fixing his rudder – and we’re able to watch it almost in real time.  Romain is NOT out of the race as long as he receives no physical assistance; they say that every Vendee Globe skipper needs the skills of a boatbuilder, and we’re about to find out how good Romain’s are!  The full aerial flyover video is over here.

Here’s a post from Romain’s better half summing up the situation for Attanasio:

A quick update on Romain’s situation. As you can see on the tracker he is heading towards Cape Town. He is aiming precisely for Simonstown (a military town in False Bay to the East of Cape Point.) We know it, as we visited the port during the 2014 Volvo stop-over, so geographically Romain will be able to recognise his landfall and find his bearings, and he remembers that there were moorings there. He is hoping to be able to catch a mooring, but will obviously be ready to anchor if necessary. Then the plan is to remove the broken rudders and asses the damage properly, which will probably involve swimming! At this time of year in Simonstown, it is around 25°C in the daytime and so this will help dry out his broken rudders. He needs to be able to make repairs to the least damaged of the two rudders, to make the blade watertight and vaguely streamlined so that it will not deteriorate further. He will also have to install his spare rudder, which is a delicate operation that will also involve swimming. The critical part of this procedure is to be able to not damage the bearings in the boat. And not be eaten by a shark, of course!

Romain has been assessing the performance and manouverability of his broken rudder and is positive that if he manages to follow his plan, he will be able to continue the race with one clean, new, rudder and one short, damaged but repaired, rudder. This may imply sailing a bit more carefully on whichever tack has the damaged rudder and he will take the weather into consideration when he chooses which side he puts the new rudder back into the boat on.

Romain has the laminating equipment required to make the repair, and has enough food to accept taking a bit longer than planned in the race. He is totally motivated to stay in the race and make this repair “unassisted”. I have notified this fact to the guys in Simonstown who have been very supportive and are passing the message around to “protect” Romain from any enthusiastic by-standers and keep people away from helping him! This is much appreciated.

A big thanks to everyone who has sent us messages, I have forwarded them all to the boat and it really has made a difference to Romain.  I will keep you updated when I have more news.

Sam

When one finds out that today is the last working Friday of the year...

attachicon.gifgiphy.gif

It depends who you ask... I work for myself, there is always something to do. I don't keep regular hours - wish I did.

According to the in-laws I am lazy as crap and do buggerall (I am in business with them). Yeah, well, now how did the clients get their quotes/invoices/deliveries/installations again this week....? Oh yes, this lazy ass did that... I am the project manager/client liason/admin clerk/driver/labour issues resolver..... yet I do nothing.

According to the wifey I do buggerall at home.... Stuff fix themselves, portrets are hanging themselves, kids tend to themselves.... Still trying to figure out what my inputs are after 12years of marriage.... I didn't think so but apparently I am just cruising and hanging around.

So unfortunately no happy dance for me

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

It depends who you ask... I work for myself, there is always something to do. I don't keep regular hours - wish I did.

According to the in-laws I am lazy as crap and do buggerall (I am in business with them). Yeah, well, now how did the clients get their quotes/invoices/deliveries/installations again this week....? Oh yes, this lazy ass did that... I am the project manager/client liason/admin clerk/driver/labour issues resolver..... yet I do nothing.

According to the wifey I do buggerall at home.... Stuff fix themselves, portrets are hanging themselves, kids tend to themselves.... Still trying to figure out what my inputs are after 12years of marriage.... I didn't think so but apparently I am just cruising and hanging around.

So unfortunately no happy dance for me

if it's empathy you're looking for, sorry - wrong place... [emoji6]

Note: Comic Sans can't be selected on tapatalk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if it's empathy you're looking for, sorry - wrong place... [emoji6]

Note: Comic Sans can't be selected on tapatalk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nah, just trying to convey my envy to actually be able to declare a distinct transition from work to play.

I was trying to say that according to others my life is one big holiday of doing buggerall while I AM actually busy with keeping the cogs ticking over.

Just wish there was a time to switch off and say "yes, now I can break away".

ENJOY THE HOLIDAYS EVERYONE! HAVE A GREAT ONE