I have an idea for a new thread...

TNT1

R499K in Benoni 1967 Model

Yup. LOVE those things, but the days of being able to own and restore one are unfortunately getting more and more unlikely, as prices continue to rise.  

Edited by Cptmayhem

• Replies 78.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• Hairy

• gummibear

• Eddy Gordo

Top Posters In This Topic

The splittie above probably closer to the 400k mark these days and higher.

By modern standards those aircooled motors are under powered sure.

But definitely not rubbish - the original design is 80 odd years old and has been used to power everything from aeroplanes to farming implements. By virtue of their simplicity they have been found in the remotest corners of the world, still working. An engineering marvel would be a more apt description. 

I follow a local vintage FB car page, and a restored '67 splittie went up for sale yesterday at R500k. Even late model Fleetlines, '75ish go for around R350k

Years ago I went for a ride in a mate's one which had a Ford V6 motor. Thing of beauty that Kombi was.

Yup. LOVE those things, but the days of being able to own and restore one are unfortunately getting more and more unlikely, as prices continue to rise.  

I bought one of these for my wife new in 2001 2.7i Caravelle.

Unfortunately she wanted to sell when it had 100k on the clock for something else

I am keeping my eyes open for another one

Take the middle seat out and its the best hiking,camping,surfing,cycling,diving,doggie car in the world

post-523-0-13432000-1529564075_thumb.jpg

I bought one of these for my wife new in 2001 2.7i Caravelle.

Unfortunately she wanted to sell when it had 100k on the clock for something else

I am keeping my eyes open for another one

Take the middle seat out and its the best hiking,camping,surfing,cycling,diving,doggie car in the world

Didnt the Caravelle have square lights, and the MicroBus had those round ones?

The seller should be locked up for putting those mags on it.

Those, my uncultured friend, are original vw/porsche rims that were specced on the karmann ghia, vw bus, porky 911 and so on. 

If they are indeed aftermarket rims, they are VERY good reproductions of the originals. 

Edited by Cptmayhem

Didnt the Caravelle have square lights, and the MicroBus had those round ones?

You might be right...cant actually remember

I know it was the full AC package etc with the 2.7i engine with round lights

Edited by Kranswurm

Saw this at OR Tambo coming from long term parking - somebody got a tender to provide bins - each pillar has at least 2... :eek:

Should have been one bin every second pole - who screwed up?

Usual would have been no bins but contract signed off as completed

Spotted this one at last years Eroica SA. Besides for the Eroica logo, it also sports some Campagnolo and Colnago ones - so, the owner has impeccable taste. :thumbup:  It belongs to a local, but I don't know who he is or where he lives. I intentionally did not try to find out, because I'm not sure I will be able to withstand the temptation to go visit in  the middle of the night with a lock picking kit, hotwire it (I know how to do a Beetle and that should work on  the splittie) and make off with it :blush:

at EA this year lutzville vineyards was one of the sponsors..they have not 1, or 2 but 3 in spectacular condition! let me see if i can find a pic

here's one in the background of a vid i did

https://youtu.be/1JzfQ31YeEs?t=15

they have a pastel pink,yellow and blue one!

Those, my uncultured friend, are original vw/porsche rims that were specced on the karmann ghia, vw bus, porky 911 and so on. 

If they are indeed aftermarket rims, they are VERY good reproductions of the originals. 

Oooooo... I apologise. They do however look like they're from Welkom. Maybe I should learn to appreciate them more.

Thanks for enlightening me.