Show us your pets

tunariaan

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like we're on a similar time-line. Ranger weighed in at 28.6 kg at 16 week.

I can't wait for him to get his muscles. This long-legged, thin bodied clumsy stage makes him looking like a mungral. And he is top-bred.

His first generation sister (he is second generation) is huge for a female. And extremely protective of the family. His one first generation brother is massive

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Hey guys. So my old girl, Rolo, managed to sleep her back skew, you can see the bulge in the muscle and it's tender when you touch. Her hind quarters are uncomfortable and you can see she's having a rough time to get going. Once the muscle's warm up she does straighten up a bit.

Do you know of a muscle relaxant I can give her to help? At the moment we are treating with hot water bottle, which seems to help a bit.

Odd part is she was fine last night, with no jumping off anything during the night, and just woke up with a crooked back. Getting old is not for sissies!!!

I managed to find this photo....

Left is his mom... right is his first generation brother...1eb8702af97352b9fc5b073ac59e002e.jpg

Yoh those are big dogs, so your boy's size seems in line with the breed and his parentage, as a matter of interest what is the breed standard weight? In my case Ranger is already more than halfway to the breed standard for a Ridgeback which is 40-45kg. He was way bigger than his siblings and considered too large by the breeder for a showdog. Like you I'm hoping he grows into his skin and paws, but in the meantime I'm rather enjoying this gangly teenager!

As an aside there is a debate in the Rhodesian Ridgeback circles of how the demand for larger Ridgebacks is growing as a result of the safety situation in SA. In the US and UK owners seem to be satisfied with the breed standard as it is. Who knows we might be witnessing the evolution of the breed in SA

Yoh those are big dogs, so your boy's size seems in line with the breed and his parentage, as a matter of interest what is the breed standard weight? In my case Ranger is already more than halfway to the breed standard for a Ridgeback which is 40-45kg. He was way bigger than his siblings and considered too large by the breeder for a showdog. Like you I'm hoping he grows into his skin and paws, but in the meantime I'm rather enjoying this gangly teenager!

As an aside there is a debate in the Rhodesian Ridgeback circles of how the demand for larger Ridgebacks is growing as a result of the safety situation in SA. In the US and UK owners seem to be satisfied with the breed standard as it is. Who knows we might be witnessing the evolution of the breed in SA

I honestly cannot say what the current breed standards are. I think it is around 60-65kg for males. We are considering using our boy to breed later on after his schooling and grading. Depending of course how he turns out

Hey guys. So my old girl, Rolo, managed to sleep her back skew, you can see the bulge in the muscle and it's tender when you touch. Her hind quarters are uncomfortable and you can see she's having a rough time to get going. Once the muscle's warm up she does straighten up a bit.

Do you know of a muscle relaxant I can give her to help? At the moment we are treating with hot water bottle, which seems to help a bit.

Odd part is she was fine last night, with no jumping off anything during the night, and just woke up with a crooked back. Getting old is not for sissies!!!

You could try Rimadyl. Should be available over the counter at most vets.

Just not Voltaren, apparently people are buying it on their medical aid and giving to their dogs

You could try Rimadyl. Should be available over the counter at most vets.

Just not Voltaren, apparently people are buying it on their medical aid and giving to their dogs

Brilliant thanx, will keep in in mind for the future. This morning she's back to her old self. So keeping it slow for the day, and still treating with heat. But her movement is back to normal with no visible discomfort. 

My inlaws had a Ridgeback cross Mastiff, he was *massive* and the sweetest dog I have ever met.

• 2 weeks later...