Show us your pets

tunariaan

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Every man and his dog were walking around the dams this morning. Didn't know Swellendam had so many people

Edited by Baldrick

Just like you on your bike, do take it easy when walking, running your dog. They have been in lock down as well.

Let them get back into exercise slowly or else those injuries will be pricey.

I am contemplating getting a dog. Something to take along for hikes and maybe fishing. So looking at small to medium type dogs. Was looking at what the spca has on offer and found some interest in the africanis breed.

Anyone have any experience with them?

I am contemplating getting a dog. Something to take along for hikes and maybe fishing. So looking at small to medium type dogs. Was looking at what the spca has on offer and found some interest in the africanis breed.

A good friend of mine has them. They are clever,energetic,loving and are very healthy. When the female was still a pup she was bloody naughty :)

Ours is wonderful, although obviously I'm very biased :whistling:

post-52768-0-66393600-1588443394_thumb.jpg

Quite clever, and except for her sore leg (whoever abused her before we got her should rot in hell) she is less maintenance than the others.

(Note the Guide Dogs Association toy from the CTCT expo, that is off limits, that she ... liberated off the dressing table when we were not looking)

I can't say that I've ever seen ours jump very high or making an attempt at getting out of the yard. Just the couches, chairs and beds, but not table height.

And she only digs when it is really hot, to make a cooler spot to lie on.

But, sample size of 1, and she's about 12.

Quintus and I have been enjoying the last 2 morning's walkies very much, wet shoes and all - for me, not him ;)

Now, there is this lady about a kilometer up the road from me, I walked past her house once and her boerboel was running around the front yard and adjacent properties off lead while she was inside her residence. Quintus was still very young then, so I kicked up a bit of a scene: told her to get the dog off the street and what she is doing is illegal/irresponsible and she will be sorry when she ends up in court because her dog attacked someone. My outburst was only subsequent to her telling me to f-off...

Anyways I prefer to not walk past her house anymore because I dont want to deal with stupid people when Im trying to relax during our walkies.

So this morning we cross paths on a greenbelt, just as she unhooks the lead off of her boerboel. A passing gentleman just looked at her, looked at me and said "some people..." to which I replied ïm going that way, if something happens she mustn't come crying to me (Quintus is now much bigger, but also well trained). So I walked past and told her again she should have a lead on her dog, its illegal to have a dog on the street without a lead. Her reply was golden: "hier's gewoonlik niemand hier nie"...

HAHAHA

I replied, whether there is someone here or not, its still illegal, to which she again responded by telling me to F-off.

Now, had this been a man, by now I would have come to blows with him. But this woman is testing my resolve. City of Cape Town bylaws clearly stipulate that it is illegal to have a dog off lead in public. And she clearly has an attitude of F... everyone. Whats more is she is acting like this in front of what I presume to be her kids. I can almost garrentee this beach isnt married, because no sensible male will live with this type of female. or maybe she is, but he wears the vajayjay

Anyways, its just a bit of a rant. Another day in Protea Heights, Brackenfell, where you are entitled to have your dogs in the parkie off lead and totally justifiable to tell people to F-off when you call them out for being inconsiderate and selfish. I mean everyone is out and about between 6 and 9, and some people just dont give a damn about others because its all about them...

Until that Pitbull escapes and bites a laaitie in the face - this happened about 8 years ago in front of my house. And then the dog is put down... put the stupid owner down for pete's sake...

I honestly believe there should be an aptitude test accompanied by a license to own dogs, of any kind, because some people need to be reminded of what it means to be a responsible pet owner.

Rant over, its raining so im not sure we will be walking in 6hrs time... and Im back at work on Monday so there goes my 3 hours of daily exercise...

Edited by gemmerbal

Marsie turned out a beautiful specimen.  :thumbup:  

She is beautiful and  with a lovely nature. However she has leg and back problems. She has nylon tendons in both knees and walks awkwardly, in the photo above you can see how awkwardly she sits. We limit her to 5km walks at the most, but she gets to play catch with her ball 3 times a day and jumps for it quiet well. 

The red clay in the forests around us means that when we walk the mutts in the forests they end up with mud up to their chests , especially when there are mud patches like there are now. 

They have to be washed after every forest walk it they are to be allowed inside. 

So when we upgraded our bathroom a few years back I installed a pet friendly shower with an extra  set of  taps and a hand shower  especially for them

The large shower does not have a door so they can just walk in on their own when called. 

post-63-0-48355000-1588524548_thumb.jpg

I had to make that drive to the vet earlier. She was no longer herself, lying in a heap and breathing heavily. The tumor on her leg had become the size of an orange. The sight of her lying in a heap not doing anything just using all her energy to keep breathing was not how I think she would want to live. RIP my Princess Xena. 1a3311abd07d653aa80efbb8a460c7dc.jpg

Sorry to read about your loss.