Show us your pets

tunariaan

This time restriction means I can only take the monsters for a walk over the weekends. I try do a longer ride on Saturdays, so that leaves Sundays. In our estate we have a ton of families, dogs, etc etc walking around as you can expect. People aren't an issue, but my dogs desperately want to play with every dog they see which can obviosly not happen. My weekly walk with my dogs has now turned into a very embarassing wrestling match every time we pass another family.

This time restriction is ludicrous. I need to get the dogs out in the afternoons at least 4 times a week otherwise walking them becomes an absolute nightmare.

Anyone having the same issues?

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This time restriction means I can only take the monsters for a walk over the weekends. I try do a longer ride on Saturdays, so that leaves Sundays. In our estate we have a ton of families, dogs, etc etc walking around as you can expect. People aren't an issue, but my dogs desperately want to play with every dog they see which can obviosly not happen. My weekly walk with my dogs has now turned into a very embarassing wrestling match every time we pass another family.

This time restriction is ludicrous. I need to get the dogs out in the afternoons at least 4 times a week otherwise walking them becomes an absolute nightmare.

Same issue, my 14month Rottie unlearns leash walking in 3 days. I leave for work early so also on weekends only at the moment.

Same here. Walking dogs on the streets in Swellendam is a joke. Every dog behind a fence voices there disapproval that mine is being walked. My dog tells them to get a life and makes the walk very unpleasant.

Walking in the forest is just as bad. People let their dogs free and mine reacts every time he sees one. Prior to lockdown I never saw a person in the mountain.

Same here. Walking dogs on the streets in Swellendam is a joke. Every dog behind a fence voices there disapproval that mine is being walked. My dog tells them to get a life and makes the walk very unpleasant.

Walking in the forest is just as bad. People let their dogs free and mine reacts every time he sees one. Prior to lockdown I never saw a person in the mountain.

You are lucky to live below that mountain.

Know it like the back of my hand.

Hiked every inch of the trails.

My friend was in charge of the water supply scheme project to the town in the 80s and we used to visit as often as we could.

Been to the top of Hermitage Kloof(where some of your water comes from)

Sweated many hours on the squash courts at the club.

I need another hike

To say we've had some fun during this lockdown is an understatement.  I've seen all three of our dogs change in different ways to us being at home, and its been amazing to see.  Bringing Lucy-fer the puppy into the mix has definitely shaken up the pack a bit and all three are now full of energy - our rescue from a few years back refused to walk on a lead.  I gave up shortly after we got her, because you could see it was traumatic for her.  About two weeks ago I got out the leads for the other two, and instead of running under the table like she would normally, she sat and watched.  So I clipped a lead on her and off we went - All three together as if she had been doing it all her life.  Almost as if the puppy had said to her stop being a wuss it's actually fun. 

The old male is still the Fun-Police and puts a stop to anything that gets out of hand, but he also looks like now he is more relaxed - almost as if he knows now that he doesn't have to protect everyone, the younger hooligan is taking his place.

And Lucy-fer - We've discovered we can catch doves, we found that we like water, and we can open sliding doors now.  And steal things off the table because suddenly in the last month we have grown.  A lot. And we can reach the snacks. I've lost socks, charging cables, countless dishcloths, all her fluffy toys - the bear looks like a zombie because there are gaping holes where it's eyes have been chewed out, and the more i put stuff in my dustbin the more it gets taken out and chewed to pieces on the rug.  But what a character.  I have no idea what's in her DNA - there's definitely German Shepard, Golden Retriever, maybe Golden Spaniel,  but she's fast, clever, stubborn and runs like the wind.  So who knows!

post-15215-0-16179100-1590398838_thumb.jpg

post-15215-0-76213500-1590398862_thumb.jpg

post-15215-0-96254100-1590398876_thumb.jpg

post-15215-0-46159500-1590398895_thumb.jpg

post-15215-0-02161000-1590398919_thumb.jpg

post-15215-0-27410700-1590398940_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately I had to euthanize my female labrador last week. It was a very sudden turn for the worse. She went from happy, energetic and loving her food to dead within 12 hours. Vet says a cancerous tumour had grown on her liver and spleen and caused them to burst.

My comforting thought is that she lay next to me or under my feet for 7 weeks of the lockdown. For a dog that mothered me for 6 years since we adopted her that must have been the best life.

Unfortunately I had to euthanize my female labrador last week. It was a very sudden turn for the worse. She went from happy, energetic and loving her food to dead within 12 hours. Vet says a cancerous tumour had grown on her liver and spleen and caused them to burst.

My comforting thought is that she lay next to me or under my feet for 7 weeks of the lockdown. For a dog that mothered me for 6 years since we adopted her that must have been the best life.

Sorry to hear, my thoughts are with you and your family. 

Sorry man, if its any consolation after loosing my last dog to cancer full speed ahead to last goodbye in 12 hours is a kinder outcome than most.

Sorry man, if its any consolation after loosing my last dog to cancer full speed ahead to last goodbye in 12 hours is a kinder outcome than most.

Agreed.

I only hope the same for me one day.

Sorry dude.

So sorry. It's never easy. 

sorry for your loss dude.

wrt cancer, after losing my Xena last month, i have sat thinking about the last couple of months subsequent to discovering the cancer and finally losing her. you see, i was giving her cbd oil ever since the cancer was discovered, and im not sure but it seems to me that when i stopped giving her the cbd oil, the tumor on her leg started to grow noticeably faster. im not sure if im imagining things. i guess it still hurts, and i kind of feel like i am to blame for stopping the cbd treatment. blame myself for her demise.

your thoughts on cbd oil and the efficacy when treating cancer?

on the positive side, the youngster is enjoying being an only child. i spoil him with droee wors. he also seems to have settled down since losing his "maatjie". not sure if and when i will get him a new "maatjie", maybe, just not now... i'll see i guess.

Edited by gemmerbal

wrt cancer, after losing my Xena last month, i have sat thinking about the last couple of months subsequent to discovering the cancer and finally losing her. you see, i was giving her cbd oil ever since the cancer was discovered, and im not sure but it seems to me that when i stopped giving her the cbd oil, the tumor on her leg started to grow noticeably faster. im not sure if im imagining things. i guess it still hurts, and i kind of feel like i am to blame for stopping the cbd treatment. blame myself for her demise.

your thoughts on cbd oil and the efficacy when treating cancer?

on the positive side, the youngster is enjoying being an only child. i spoil him with droee wors. he also seems to have settled down since losing his "maatjie". not sure if and when i will get him a new "maatjie", maybe, just not now... i'll see i guess.

Have only really come across  persuasive arguments for it helping with relief of symptoms, in people and pets close to me. Not treatment of the disease. I think there has been way too much hype of it but we will find out in the next few years as experimentation becomes legally possible.

But that said the relief of symptoms alone is worth a huge amount.

yes, I agree with you, what i deduce from my experience is that it seemed to slow down the development of the cancer. 

This was the second dog i lost to cancer, im getting a bit fed up with it now (the cancer, not the dogs). Rambo had lymphoma at age 8,5. Xena managed just about 9 years. I know for large dogs that is pretty much par for the course, but it doesnt mean I have to like it.

My guru (a legend in the rottweiler community) had some wise words when I spoke to him about it:

"We have to remember that we have taken these animals from the wild and domesticated them. In the wild they would probably never reach 9 years of age as the weak/old won't survive in the pack and probably starve to death when they are unable to hunt for themselves. We are blessed to have our dogs in our lives for 9-10 years if we are lucky, but we are cursed that we only have them for such a short time. We only have them for a part of our lives, but they have us for their entire lives."

Have only really come across  persuasive arguments for it helping with relief of symptoms, in people and pets close to me. Not treatment of the disease. I think there has been way too much hype of it but we will find out in the next few years as experimentation becomes legally possible.

But that said the relief of symptoms alone is worth a huge amount.

Edited by gemmerbal