Show us your pets

tunariaan

7 weeks for me is I believe the best. We got Rudolph on 8 weeks and at that age he already developed some odd behaviours, which we really struggled to sort out.

Edited by Moridin

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Puppies that are separated too soon are prone to separation anxiety for a bit longer than ones that were around the mom for long enough.

There are so many different schools of thought here.

There is definitely German pointer blood involved there, based on the coat and head colour.

They are stunning dogs, well behaved and highly trainable. Great running companions too!

Pointer is the most dominant, and the rest is just speculation.

A great running dog she is indeed - has now done two short (2.5 km) Myruns and has plenty of energy left.  She enjoys it and has to be in front.

Pointer is the most dominant, and the rest is just speculation.

A great running dog she is indeed - has now done two short (2.5 km) Myruns and has plenty of energy left.  She enjoys it and has to be in front.

Not a GSP, but an English Pointer belonging to a friend, was GPS tracked in the Southern Drakensberg doing a 70 km run in one days worth of work. Some would say the German can outrun the English because they have a hard headed streak. Nothing, but nothing else, can run long distance like the pointing breeds and the Huskies. When fit and trained, they are about the only dogs that will do marathon distances with humans. There are faster dogs, but for light footed long distance running, probably only the Wild Dogs can beat them.

Edited by DJR

Not a GSP, but an English Pointer belonging to a friend, was GPS tracked in the Southern Drakensberg doing a 70 km run in one days worth of work. Some would say the German can outrun the English because they have a hard headed streak. Nothing, but nothing else, can run long distance like the pointing breeds and the Huskies. When fit and trained, they and the are about the only dogs that will do marathon distances with humans. There are faster dogs, but for light footed long distance running, probably only the Wild Dogs can beat them.

Trouble is in my experience they are willing to do the distance with or without the owner!  Had many friends hunting their pointers for days over the years.

Not a GSP, but an English Pointer belonging to a friend, was GPS tracked in the Southern Drakensberg doing a 70 km run in one days worth of work. Some would say the German can outrun the English because they have a hard headed streak. Nothing, but nothing else, can run long distance like the pointing breeds and the Huskies. When fit and trained, they and the are about the only dogs that will do marathon distances with humans. There are faster dogs, but for light footed long distance running, probably only the Wild Dogs can beat them.

Taking my Husky for a walk is a challenge. They have damn strong legs. Our Husky is a female and she is way stronger than our Swiss Shepherd male, and probably weigh two thirds of him also.

Edited by Moridin

Trouble is in my experience they are willing to do the distance with or without the owner!  Had many friends hunting their pointers for days over the years.

True that. In our circle we have had 1 English pointer that disappeared for ever - never to be seen again! :( That's also why most people who use them for work, keep them in a very well fenced run from which escape is impossible. Their hunting instinct is so strong that if they get bird scent on the breeze, they will just take off, no matter how far and then they get lost because they are so focused, they don't notice anything else. 

Taking my Husky for a walk is a challenge. They have damn strong legs. Our Husky is a female and she is way stronger than our Swiss Shepherd male, and probably weigh two thirds of him also.

I've never owned a Husky, but if the experience of a close friend is anything to go by, then getting dragged around like a sled is about the best you can hope for.  :D  

• 2 weeks later...