Ban FAKE selling

Puxi

If you are not so self righteous then just go direct to China my China or to Gumtree now I suppose...

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Geees all you people with your self-righteous asses up your ass... People are just giving normal low salary earning people also the chance to wear and support their TDF teams. It isn't even to say that it is fake and even if it is. The original suppliers will still make the same amount of money because you idiots will still pay an arm and a leg for the stuff. The people who maybe cannot afford the real thing won't buy it so no one will lose out on any profits...

If you are just too jealous of people riding next to you with the same kit that he bought for half of what you paid on his cheap alu bike GET OVER IT... Your 100K bike and 2K kit makes you no better man. In fact it might be over compensating for something else that you have a "SHORT" of...

It's good to see that cycling is growing in SA and with the "cheaper" kits more and more people will realise that the sport has alot of different teams in other countries... Maybe people will realise that it can be a fun sport and grow SA cycling into something no one could have thought...

Sorry dude that is completely beside the point.

You are in actual fact aiding in crime. Would you be upset is some lifted your TV or car from your home?

The point is - It is a crime to copy another garment without licensing, as it is to copy a bike frame, DVD, CD, watch etc.

If you cannot afford the garment then buy something cheaper that is not branded.

I have one branded cycling item (bib shorts) and that’s it. All my other gear is Rapid sports or first ascent/ cape storm on sale!

Have I copied a CD or DVD, yes, but does that give me the right to sell copies of it on a forum - NO!

Your rant is nonsensical!

• 2 weeks later...

Well I am sure the importers of, say castelli really apporve of someone selling Garmin kit at 1/5th of the price they can land it...

I think people who buy fake merchandise are fools!

I saw a guy with a Dura Ace, 3T ARX team, ZIPP404 firecrest kitted Chinarello Dogpoo in a race earlier this year. I felt sorry for him.

I think the suppliers must pay the cyclists, regardless of being a fake or not, a fee each time you ride with their brand. It's great for marketing!

In SA for example they mostly import the bicycles without the brand clothing(although they have the import/distribution rights for it) because they're to lazy to sell the gear and the profit margin is not big enough.

So I can't see any problem with it though.

Cut the super self centred cr*p -

Fake kit is criminal. How can you rip schreds off Bike Hijackers and then want to buy fake kit.

YOU WOULD PROBABLY BUY A STOLEN BIKE TOO! YES???

TWITS!

Crap.

Of course it is!!

Have you ridden in a set of Craft shorts compared to the shorts with coolmax chamois of the fakes.I have and i would hate to do more than 60 km on the fakes.

Cut the super self centred cr*p -

Fake kit is criminal. How can you rip schreds off Bike Hijackers and then want to buy fake kit.

YOU WOULD PROBABLY BUY A STOLEN BIKE TOO! YES???

TWITS!

If I owned a company like Shimano, Cannondale, Gaint or whatever, the perfect place would be at a race where your brand is represented(whether it's fake or not) between other cyclist with the same interest. Their income on clothing is probably < 1% of their total income but with a lot of people riding in their gear and promoting their brand they might sell more Shimano parts that they would've sold clothing. That's probably the reason why all the suppliers turns a blind eye on the issue.

Other scenario then, why do you think with the Sani2C goodie bag you get all those clothing items worth almost R2,000 with branded Aca-Joe, Subaru etc branded on it, for exactly the same reason, promoting their brand. We received sponsors by various companies to ride the 94.7 in their corporate cycling jerseys, only choosing one though, same reason again. All fees regarding the race paid and it's a bargain for us.

Lastly, if they bothered selling the brands of cycling clothes in which they sell bikes/parts etc in, probably more people will buy the gear but they don't so some people import the stuff from China or wherever.

Marketing 101 :)

I see this thread is tonge in cheek or at least I hope so.

When dishonesty is approved of if the victim is a corporation or brand but in another thread we condemn the fact that stolen bikes are only stolen because there is a market for stolen goods, we are beyond hypocritical.

In SA we have a major crime problem and it is not ok to condone any form of theft or criminality. Maybe you just need to be the victim of a personal crime or a corporate fraud which almost sinks your company to get some perspective on it.

Got that off my chest. . . . .

What if I buy the fake kit to show my disgust with the extortionary(sp?) pricing?

If an official kaizer chiefs/pirates/springbok* shirt is R699 and a fake is R79, who is in the wrong? The guys supporting the fakes or the dudes who are blackmailing the supporters into paying a huge sum? If the market exists for fakes, it's because the official guys are up to crap.

*pricing a CD at R139 is also just asking for MP3s to get distributed.

What if I buy the fake kit to show my disgust with the extortionary(sp?) pricing?

If an official kaizer chiefs/pirates/springbok* shirt is R699 and a fake is R79, who is in the wrong? The guys supporting the fakes or the dudes who are blackmailing the supporters into paying a huge sum? If the market exists for fakes, it's because the official guys are up to crap.

This is a catch 22 situation. When an interviewer asked why people buy fake stuff, the people say the real stuff is too expensive. When they asked the manufacturer why is the originals so expensive they said it's because they have to get their money back from all the fakes being sold.

Now, say the price comes down on originals and everybody buys it. Now there will be a demand and or shortage and prices rise again. Then people will start buying fakes again fro cheaper.

*pricing a CD at R139 is also just asking for MP3s to get distributed.

The way the free market normally works is that you show your disgust by not buying the product. Thst is ecercising your right. Buying fake goods is stealing the right to the brand that someone else has spent time and money to develop. I am sure that there are other products that you want but cant afgord. Do you just take them? Just because the asset, i.e. brand or intellectual property is virtual does not make it any less significant to develop. Exclusivity is part of the value and strategy of a brand. Stealing just because you can is and will remain wrong.

Edited by Doggone

I noticed some adverts on the hub clearly stating its replica kit, personally i did not see an issue with that, unless i am naive. Yes the sponsors paid a lot to have their name on the pro riders back, but anybody else wearing kit showing the brand is still good exposure for the sponsors surely. so no i dont see the issue here, so long as its not sold as original kit.

Yep. Fact is they should be paying you to wear it, as you are a mobile billboard for them.

Right, who's going to put a class action suit togther, and who are we gonna sue for non-payment of fees first... ;)

Me, I don't wear branded kit fake or otherwise, so probably can't join in. :(

Fact is, anyone who buys a shirt for R699's got more money than sense.

Make it a reasonable price and there would be a very much reduced market for fakes anyway.

Edited by davetapson

Let me quickly explain something.

CWC import bits via non-standard channels, those channels are knowingly breaching contracts with their suppliers. The law is pretty simple: breach of contract is illegal. CWC is fully aware that some if their channels are in breach and are buying and selling stuff on. An example is the Shimano OEM parts they sell. Shimano is VERY clear about OEM parts, they are not for resale. It often says so IN BIG BOLD LETTERS on the packaging CWC throw away.

Heres another example: http://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/giant-anthem-x-2-29er

CWC are fully aware that Giant worldwide does not allow their bikes to be sold online, nor do the local distributor, yet they continue to sell them online.

Those, my fellow hubbers, are two examples of CWC knowingly breaking the law.

Admin, now would be a good time to ban CWC from this forum. They are advertising and selling illegal stuff on this forum.

Now theres one further, far more worrying problem, you hubbers ever notice how you get CWC emails, ever wonder how they got your email address?

Edited by schmoose

Let me quickly explain something.

CWC import bits via non-standard channels, those channels are knowingly breaching contracts with their suppliers. The law is pretty simple: breach of contract is illegal. CWC is fully aware that some if their channels are in breach and are buying and selling stuff on. An example is the Shimano OEM parts they sell. Shimano is VERY clear about OEM parts, they are not for resale. It often says so IN BIG BOLD LETTERS on the packaging CWC throw away.

Heres another example: http://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/giant-anthem-x-2-29er

CWC are fully aware that Giant worldwide does not allow their bikes to be sold online, nor do the local distributor, yet they continue to sell them online.

Those, my fellow hubbers, are two examples of CWC knowingly breaking the law.

Admin, now would be a good time to ban CWC from this forum. They are advertising and selling illegal stuff on this forum.

Now theres one further, far more worrying problem, you hubbers ever notice how you get CWC emails, ever wonder how they got your email address?

Post us the "contracts" that are being breached?

Hell, even post us the thingy about Giant Worldwide... Must be on their website or something if it's such common knowledge?

Um, what I mean is, um maybe if you're gonna make accusations like this, have some proof.

The way the free market normally works is that you show your disgust by not buying the product. Thst is ecercising your right. Buying fake goods is stealing the right to the brand that someone else has spent time and money to develop. I am sure that there are other products that you want but cant afgord. Do you just take them? Just because the asset, i.e. brand or intellectual property is virtual does not make it any less significant to develop. Exclusivity is part of the value and strategy of a brand. Stealing just because you can is and will remain wrong.

Not necessarily. We are still talking replica kit here, right?

The actual cost of the product is a minor portion of the purchase price. The rest is basically the price of 'exclusivity' the brand owner decides they can charge that the public will consider acceptable. If the a large enough gap between the two develops, there is a market for fakes. The brand owner allowed it to exist, but will often just accept it because there are enough muppets around. In a free market the customer decides what something is worth, what you're describing is an over regulated market.

Occupy thehubsa.co.za who's in?