Snakes

Motard660

This morning I decided to ride my regular route....Canonbrea Forrest and Crooks Farm. I then came across a Night Adder snake, but was not that worried at all as I see them regular. I still had a stop and had a nice look!!!

Then....about 5km further I was going through some thick overgrown. The next moment I heard something and then saw it.....!!!!! The biggest green Mamba I ever had seen. I must have gone over him, as his head was about half a meter above the ground, and was like "tumbling" on the side of the back wheel!...........needless to say.....I SHAT MYSELF!!! I don't know where the power came from, but I paddled to get away like there was no tomorrow.

Now, it cross my mind that I don't have cellphone with me and quite sure other people also cycle without a cell phone. I was just wondering, what do you do if something like that happen, and did somebody got bitten while cycling before.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We were pondering about the same thing as the ppl i ride with is mental and mad when it comes to snakes(they always want to take a closer look)

Eish, heard plenty stories of guys seeing snakes out on the trails around KZN just recently. One dude I ride with has always said we should take an anti venom kit with us. If a mamba gives you one out there, ESP with your heart rate going full taps while riding, that venom going to go fast and even a cellphone ain't going to help. :o

Now, it cross my mind that I don't have cellphone with me and quite sure other people also cycle without a cell phone. I was just wondering, what do you do if something like that happen, and did somebody got bitten while cycling before.

"What do you do if something like that happen!" I have only one suggestion. Say your prayers. Take your mind off the snake, enjoy the scenery as this will be the last thing you see.

Being bitten by a black mamba with your heart rate being high, having no mobile phone and cycling alone you dont stand much of a chance of surviving.

One dude I ride with has always said we should take an anti venom kit with us.

How does that function exactly?

I have seen plenty of cape cobras in Jonkershoek and wondered the same thing. If you get bitten up there and you dont have a phone i dont think you will make it to town. Even if you do have a phone im not so sure you will be safe either.......

Snake's what?

Or just plain snakes (plural) ?

Or hotter than a snake's arse in a wagon-rut? :)

And you "paddled " away? Was it runny?

Go take that Valium. Now. :)

Glad you're OK

ye ye....i was still in shock when typing this. :D

This morning I decided to ride my regular route....Canonbrea Forrest and Crooks Farm. I then came across a Night Adder snake, but was not that worried at all as I see them regular. I still had a stop and had a nice look!!!

Then....about 5km further I was going through some thick overgrown. The next moment I heard something and then saw it.....!!!!! The biggest green Mamba I ever had seen. I must have gone over him, as his head was about half a meter above the ground, and was like "tumbling" on the side of the back wheel!...........needless to say.....I SHAT MYSELF!!! I don't know where the power came from, but I paddled to get away like there was no tomorrow.

Never been bitten by a snake before but have fallen quite hard while riding alone in the forests....makes you think about the wisdom of riding alone and leaving your cell phone behind.... I never leave it behind but not in case I need to call for help (well ok maybe partialy) but the main reason is so i can warn the wife I'll be late for dinner cause I got lost in the dark forest...

Seriously now, try not ride alone, take your charged cell phone wiff, tell someone where your going...nag yakkity nag!

:thumbup:

From what I know the snake has to be identified before any anti-venom used. Are there are procedures to do something in the meantime before you get medical help. You get a little snake bit kit that has all the info.

Here's hoping that never happens!

From what I know the snake has to be identified before any anti-venom used. Are there are procedures to do something in the meantime before you get medical help. You get a little snake bit kit that has all the info.

Here's hoping that never happens!

With you on that, AFIK anti-venom is made by injecting horses with the venom so it forms anti-bodies that combat the venom (feel free to correct me here) so basically the anti-venom is more venom and needs to be of the specific snake :huh:

I would think one can try suck out as much of the venom as possible and then make some kind of tourniqet (sp?) to stop it spreading further. Heat or cold can also be applied but that differs per venom type.

I would keep the nearest (private!) hospital number on your phone as well as mountain rescue's number on my phone.