Coffee machine

3 hours ago, Steady Spin said:

Good morning fellow addicts 

The lady and I were talking and we are considering moving to a bean to cup machine. 

In order to do so we will be selling the Rancilio setup to fund the purchase. 

What could be realistically ask for this: Everything is about 6 years old and in use daily to make about 4 to 5 cups. 

Silivia machine
Rocky Doser grinder (Needs a small repair. The dosser arm gear is stripped)
Two drawer stand
All baskets and bits. 
Bottomless Portafilter 

Overall in really good condition. 

Essentially this: https://heavenlycoffees.com/products/rancilio-silvia-serious-combo

Are you prepared for sub par - under extracted coffee?

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, lechatnoir said:

perhaps it just seems that way? 🤣

😆 Do miss them this side to be fair. Up north where we are coffee shops (real coffee shops 😄) aren't as prevalent as you'd become accustomed to in Cpt. 

25 minutes ago, Kom said:

Are you prepared for sub par - under extracted coffee?

Absolutely. 

4 hours ago, Steady Spin said:

Good morning fellow addicts 

The lady and I were talking and we are considering moving to a bean to cup machine. 

In order to do so we will be selling the Rancilio setup to fund the purchase. 

What could be realistically ask for this: Everything is about 6 years old and in use daily to make about 4 to 5 cups. 

Silivia machine
Rocky Doser grinder (Needs a small repair. The dosser arm gear is stripped)
Two drawer stand
All baskets and bits. 
Bottomless Portafilter 

Overall in really good condition. 

Essentially this: https://heavenlycoffees.com/products/rancilio-silvia-serious-combo

We're Going The Wrong Way

It is honestly a balance between coffee and convenience. You can snob away all you like, but the reality is that to make proper coffee takes a lot of effort and cleaning and faffing. A bean to cup means that even when you are in a rush you still get a fairly good coffee with a lot less faffing in a lot shorter time.

If I had the money and space I would have a proper setup like the Rancilo, but I would still have a bean to cup for 90% of the time when you just want a quick coffee between meetings or before heading out early in the morning. Save the real fancy coffee for when you have the time to faff.

Same goes for Decaf. It is great to have a proper coffee, but if you have one or 2 proper coffee's and then switch to decaf you can have many more without being totally dependent on caffeine or having negative impacts from the caffeine.

6 minutes ago, dave303e said:

It is honestly a balance between coffee and convenience. You can snob away all you like, but the reality is that to make proper coffee takes a lot of effort and cleaning and faffing. A bean to cup means that even when you are in a rush you still get a fairly good coffee with a lot less faffing in a lot shorter time.

If I had the money and space I would have a proper setup like the Rancilo, but I would still have a bean to cup for 90% of the time when you just want a quick coffee between meetings or before heading out early in the morning. Save the real fancy coffee for when you have the time to faff.

Same goes for Decaf. It is great to have a proper coffee, but if you have one or 2 proper coffee's and then switch to decaf you can have many more without being totally dependent on caffeine or having negative impacts from the caffeine.

This guy gets it! 

We need speed and convenience. 

24 minutes ago, dave303e said:

Time? What are we looking at from a comparison point of view? Depends on your process I guess i.e. how pedantic you are around yields, shot time, weights etc, but can't be that much.

9 minutes ago, cadenceblur said:

Time? What are we looking at from a comparison point of view? Depends on your process I guess i.e. how pedantic you are around yields, shot time, weights etc, but can't be that much.

I walk in hit a button, grab 2 mugs and usually a snack. Then I pop the mugs on the machine hit start and go do something else. When I am back there are 2 coffees. Add milk and enjoy. Literally less effort that making instant coffee.

I don't stand there grinding, tamping, frothing milk, doing cup art, watching espresso drool out, etc. Time spent in front of the machine is maybe 40 seconds if I need to top up the water. I am free to do stuff while it makes the coffee.

10 minutes ago, dave303e said:

I walk in hit a button, grab 2 mugs and usually a snack. Then I pop the mugs on the machine hit start and go do something else. When I am back there are 2 coffees. Add milk and enjoy. Literally less effort that making instant coffee.

I don't stand there grinding, tamping, frothing milk, doing cup art, watching espresso drool out, etc. Time spent in front of the machine is maybe 40 seconds if I need to top up the water. I am free to do stuff while it makes the coffee.

Perhaps more than this: my wife and my kids can now make me coffee.

I'd love to have a bean to cup and a pure espresso machine, but if I can only have one, at this stage of my life a machine the whole family can use just makes more sense.

23 minutes ago, Spinnaroonie said:

All good man, it's not that we're being snobs. It's like having to trade in your 2 door coupe for an SUV. Nothing wrong with it all but it still needs a moment of silence lol. 

Remember almost every single millionaire with a 2 door sports car has a G wagon or similar for day to day driving...

I have not had bean to cup machine coffee that tastes as good as a real espresso. I could only take so many bean to cup disasters here in NL before I bought my machine. 

If I want real coffee, I make it myself. In the restaurants, I now order ice cream.

But I get the convenience factor, question is just how much you willing to sacrifice on taste...

Edited by W@nted

Honestly id rather just grab a mint tea instead of anything bean to cup - not even being dramatic - even a hot chocolate - it would depress me.

I totally get the use case for convenient and less messy coffee - it just doesnt work.

Hmm. I’ll weigh in here with someone that has a bean to cup machine and came from manual espresso .

It is very dependent on what bean to cup machine you get. I have a Jura E6 and it punches well above its weight and for me was worth the investment. 

Although, I’d admit that in the hands of an experienced barista, you get better results from a manual machine, the consistency of a dialed in Bean to Cup and the convenience is hard to beat. 

I think the problem is often that people leave their bean to cup machine stock and don’t put in effort to have good beans and then to dial them in.