Coffee machine

Quick question on descaling. Do you just run the solution through the machine, or do you leave in there to do its thing?

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quick question on descaling. Do you just run the solution through the machine, or do you leave in there to do its thing?

Does your machine have a descale function (super auto or an espresso machine)?

The super auto usually has a descale function, and will pull water into the machine, stand for a bit and then discharge, and repeat.

Edit: at a previous employer, they used commercial grade hydrogen peroxide to flush the machines. Coffee machine and the production equipment. On the machines that had the reverse osmosis equipment, they only used citric acid.

Edited by Frosty

I guess one can just add it to the water container and drink it - when last have you de-scaled??!  :blush:

I guess one can just add it to the water container and drink it - when last have you de-scaled??! :blush:

Well I read about descaling about 4 comments back..????

Im no coffee boffin, but I do like a quick espresso before a run. And looking at my kettle Im pretty sure my el cheepo espresso machine is pretty much clogged up inside.

Where did you get this lens cup?

Edit: found one, my old mans going to love it!

Link? It is a pretty cool novelty item. A buddy of mine has 2 cell phone covers, the one looks like a VHS and the other looks like lego. You can actually stick proper lego on and it fits.

Well I read about descaling about 4 comments back..[emoji849]

Im no coffee boffin, but I do like a quick espresso before a run. And looking at my kettle Im pretty sure my el cheepo espresso machine is pretty much clogged up inside.

If it’s an el cheapo, then simply put citric acid (1tbsp) in a litre of water. Then run it through the machine as if you were making a shot. Once the litre has been used up, rinse with water (same process). The “solution” needs time to work on the scale, so there needs to be idle time between each flush.

Try it on your kettle first (covering the element) and you’ll see the difference. Leave the water in the kettle for at least 5 mins, then rinse. If you get that citric taste (sour) then rinse again.

If it’s an el cheapo, then simply put citric acid (1tbsp) in a litre of water. Then run it through the machine as if you were making a shot. Once the litre has been used up, rinse with water (same process). The “solution” needs time to work on the scale, so there needs to be idle time between each flush.

Try it on your kettle first (covering the element) and you’ll see the difference. Leave the water in the kettle for at least 5 mins, then rinse. If you get that citric taste (sour) then rinse again.

Can citric acid be used in any machine? I have a a saeco bean to cup machine, I also have about 50kg of citric acid at any given time...

I never knew it was possible to descale with citric acid! It makes life a lot easier if I can use it in my machine.

Nice thread guys, please advise me. I enjoy a good cup of coffee in the morning and the closest place is McCafé and they are firstly inconsistent staff changes daily and don’t make great cappuccino, what is a good machine I could get ? I don’t mind something that grinds fresh but prefer automatic and nothing too big. Please let me know. Thank you

Nice thread guys, please advise me. I enjoy a good cup of coffee in the morning and the closest place is McCafé and they are firstly inconsistent staff changes daily and don’t make great cappuccino, what is a good machine I could get ? I don’t mind something that grinds fresh but prefer automatic and nothing too big. Please let me know. Thank you

Jura - take your pick - https://www.jura.com/en/homeproducts/automatic-coffee-machines

Just be sure you can achieve the products you want to drink with the device - Ena 8 or Ena 8 signature will do the trick for most home users - usually spending more money gives you a more fully featured machine - up to a point when you start having features and capacity you don't need and cant use.

But you won't go wrong with a jura as a general rule of thumb - and no - I don't own 1 - my super auto is a Siemens - and hasn't been used for many months - mostly because it has a fault and won't power up.... and one day I will take it to midrand and get it repaired.

My set-up is a bit basic, but works well

Bialetti...I have 3 different sizes

The smallest is for hiking