Coffee machine

I have to say that this grinder surprised me. It has very good ergonomics, you only use your thumb and index finger to grip the knob. It grinds at least 3 times faster than my porlex and loading/unloading is very easy. I paid the same price as a porlex mini when I backed the kickstarter project and this grinder gives you so much more in terms of ergonomics, speed, grind quality and looks.

Having said all this, my Madebyknock grinder still grinds faster and smoother than the Handground but it costs three times as much!

Not bad then!

Do you have a link to their Kickstarter or Website?

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have used this machine myself... this exact one!

Its a beautiful little machine!!!

It's got the looks as well!

What's the grinder like?

It's got the looks as well!

What's the grinder like?

I can't recall if its stepped or stepless but grinds pretty consistently. It is perfectly suited to the machine! 

First cup made this morning with the new ABID clever dripper, and another with the V60.

Chalk and cheese - can't believe I fell for the trap of thinking it would be better (with the V60).

First cup made this morning with the new ABID clever dripper, and another with the V60.

Chalk and cheese - can't believe I fell for the trap of thinking it would be better (with the V60).

he he, :thumbup: told you so, you cannot compare immersion with drip through! The V60 looks so cool though. When I judge competitions, the competitors so often fall into the v60 trap, handicapping themselves unnecessarily. 

Does anyone know of a decent book out there where I can read up on the various methods of making coffee, some history and how to make an all round better cup of coffee? 

I am considering a short course but haven't found something similar to Truth's appreciation course. Could someone point me in a direction?

PS. When I start something new I tend to go apesh!t on info until I know what I want to know about it. 

I was given this: http://www.loot.co.za/product/james-hoffmann-the-world-atlas-of-coffee/lwgw-2966-ga50?referrer=pricecheckcampaigns&utm_source=PriceCheck&utm_medium=Web&utm_campaign=PriceCheck

It's a nice book (although I actually ended up exchanging it for another non-coffee book).

Seems to get decent reviews too:

https://www.amazon.com/World-Atlas-Coffee-Explored-Explained/dp/1770854703#customerReviews

Does anyone know of a decent book out there where I can read up on the various methods of making coffee, some history and how to make an all round better cup of coffee? 

I am considering a short course but haven't found something similar to Truth's appreciation course. Could someone point me in a direction?

PS. When I start something new I tend to go apesh!t on info until I know what I want to know about it. 

Edited by SpruitCommuter

My ABID dripper arrived a short while ago, not sure what some of the Amazon guys were saying but I can see it's very well designed, nice heavy gauge plastic, lots of over engineering with flutes and support bridges etc, can't see it cracking unless you went full retard. Quality product, can't wait for the first brew, I like that it has a Truth logo screenprinted on it, classy. Barista booklet looks very cool, nice reference to keep handy.

Thanks to iteachcoffee!

My wife gave me the same book for Christmas, must say, really enjoyed it. There is a lot of information regarding the different origins of coffee, which I didn't really read in depth, but the other information was really interesting.

I have a really nice brewing guide book from Clive coffee that Yuppiechef use to sell.

Have a look at their website for more info https://clivecoffee.com/category/brewing-guides/ 

Stumptown also have a good brew guide section on their website: https://www.stumptowncoffee.com/brew-guides

My dad has an aeropress and it's great, just a bit timely when you need to make more than 1 cup.

Why not capsule machines?

The problem with capsule machines is that the coffee they produce is weak, expensive, stale and the capsules are harmful to the environment.

I have a nespresso that I have not used in around a year, I cant justify paying around R9 for a shot of weak espresso from that when I can make much better one for less in another device.

The professional baristas handbook by Scott Rao is the first one to get - the second one is the science of espresso by Ernesto Illy - but it's lethally expensive and a worth having on your coffee table under Scott's book

edit - links to books

Scott Rao - and by the way - he is a super nice guy - met him a couple of years ago

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_2_9?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=scott+rao&sprefix=scott+rao%2Caps%2C492&crid=GDE8HRPVDD9H

Illy book

https://www.amazon.com/Espresso-Coffee-Second-Science-Quality/dp/0123703719

This is a great reference book - but strictly for geeks... and people with coffee tables.... cheaper to buy from the new and used section by far

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0123703719/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all

Edited by V12man

Followed this thread for a while. Interesting. I guess coffee is a very personal love affair for each individual. For me the best I have tasted to date is Illy out Of an Isomac I bought 20 years ago, R 1000.00. Lot of money back then. After a while the hassle of making one cup drove me to a Moka pot I got at Adams for 70 bucks, in fact one at home one at the office. Camping gaz does the heating. Real easy.

post-3624-0-37377200-1484807912_thumb.jpg

Edited by Plentipotential

Plentipotental, how has your experience been with the dripper, not making the coffee the way you prefer?

I've been using the Aeropress for the last few yrs, I prefer the ABID dripper process, its more like a tea ritual, slow and relaxed, also easier to make and clean up, the Ap tends to squirt out the sides a little, as they get older also quite difficult to press down(assuming the holes in the able filter narrow with coffee oils).

I'm not sure on the results, not as much flavor as the Ap, seems a little flat. I am getting flavors I've never had before, some very nutty walnut flavors are predominant.

I'm I've been using iteachcoffee's timings/process, probably not to the letter though!

Any tips or hints I can try with the ABID to get a better brew?

Plentipotental, how has your experience been with the dripper, not making the coffee the way you prefer?

I've been using the Aeropress for the last few yrs, I prefer the ABID dripper process, its more like a tea ritual, slow and relaxed, also easier to make and clean up, the Ap tends to squirt out the sides a little, as they get older also quite difficult to press down(assuming the holes in the able filter narrow with coffee oils).

I'm not sure on the results, not as much flavor as the Ap, seems a little flat. I am getting flavors I've never had before, some very nutty walnut flavors are predominant.

I'm I've been using iteachcoffee's timings/process, probably not to the letter though!

Any tips or hints I can try with the ABID to get a better brew?

are you monitoring temperature and time? try grinding finer? the details are wherin the magic lives, I assure you!