Coffee machine

Does anyone have any experience with the Severin Conical Burr Electric Grinder?

https://capecoffeebeans.co.za/collections/coffee-grinders/products/severin-conical-burr-electric-coffee-grinder?variant=846589573

I currently use a Porlex hand grinder and whilst it's great for my needs, I'm starting to find it tiresome. My brew method is currently pour-over, I'm also thinking of getting a French Press and maybe also a moka pot. Daily usage is 3 - 6 brews.

Looking forward to your feedback.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone have any experience with the Severin Conical Burr Electric Grinder?

https://capecoffeebeans.co.za/collections/coffee-grinders/products/severin-conical-burr-electric-coffee-grinder?variant=846589573

I currently use a Porlex hand grinder and whilst it's great for my needs, I'm starting to find it tiresome. My brew method is currently pour-over, I'm also thinking of getting a French Press and maybe also a moka pot. Daily usage is 3 - 6 brews.

Looking forward to your feedback.

It's ok for brew and French press- doesn't do that well-for espresso that requires fine grinding - it can get in the espresso range but occasionally can't get fine enough- my race partner has one he uses with a la pavoni pro lever.

I have a Mazzer mini grinder (doser/timer) for sale. I have put only about 40kg coffee through it. It is in a very good condition, only used at home. I'm looking for R7000.00 neg. Selling it as I'm going to upgrade to a better grinder. Contact me if you are interested and for pics.

• 2 weeks later...

I am battling with 2 things at the moment.

1. The f****ng seal on my Aeropress is shyte. From new I battled with it breaking the seal while pressing and hissing air. Lately it has started squirting hot coffee onto my hands and arms when it breaks the seal. I tried replacing the plastic plunger with my old one that has the stiffening ribs on it that help as "guides" but no luck. I have switched to my Moka pot until I can get a new plunger rubber and see if that helps...

2. Coffee beans.... I used to get quite consistent coffee from Columbo when they were in Gale street. Had a good relationship with some of the guys there. Could pop in for a bag or two of beans and have a chat and grab a coffee. Nice and friendly. Then they moved.... Getting there now is a bit of a mission so I started looking for another place to buy beans. Found Bean Green which was great for a few months and then their beans started to smell a bit funky and the smell transferred to the taste...

I have decide to try and find a commercially available bean that I can get from somewhere convenient (Think Spar/Woolworths etc) Tried two variants from Woolworths. Busy with their Espresso bean at the moment but am finding it too bitter. Bought a bag of Organic beans as well so will try those next.

Any other ideas? Happy around the R50-R70/250g. Online maybe?

1. The f****ng seal on my Aeropress is shyte. From new I battled with it breaking the seal while pressing and hissing air. Lately it has started squirting hot coffee onto my hands and arms when it breaks the seal. I tried replacing the plastic plunger with my old one that has the stiffening ribs on it that help as "guides" but no luck. I have switched to my Moka pot until I can get a new plunger rubber and see if that helps...

2. Coffee beans.... I used to get quite consistent coffee from Columbo when they were in Gale street. Had a good relationship with some of the guys there. Could pop in for a bag or two of beans and have a chat and grab a coffee. Nice and friendly. Then they moved.... Getting there now is a bit of a mission so I started looking for another place to buy beans. Found Bean Green which was great for a few months and then their beans started to smell a bit funky and the smell transferred to the taste...

I have decide to try and find a commercially available bean that I can get from somewhere convenient (Think Spar/Woolworths etc) Tried two variants from Woolworths. Busy with their Espresso bean at the moment but am finding it too bitter. Bought a bag of Organic beans as well so will try those next.

in that price range for fresh beans - I would try Deluxe 

https://www.deluxecoffeeworks.co.za/shop/

Online Bean-there?  they do roast date stamp their coffees - the date sticker is advanced by 1 year from the roast date.... 

They do have a subscription service - never tried that.

https://www.beanthere.co.za/shop/subscriptions/bean-there-tribe/

or perhaps Lineage coffee if they are close to you http://www.lineagecoffee.com/

Thanks guys. I went browsing around and it seems that there are a few people offering subscription packages. Great idea that! Going to have a look and see whats available and get it delivered to my door :)

Cape coffee beans then you can choose from all the different roasters. Not a fan of bean there anymore. Their roasts are so inconsistent these days...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just up the drag from you, 87 Main Road Curry's Post, (and also via their online store) is Terbodore Coffee roasters. I'm on my 4th KG pack of "The Great Dane" beans, and I'm really enjoying the coffee. "This is Africa" is also very good, and for something different, try the Dutch chocolate flavoured beans. Not for the purist the last one, but really easy drinking (even for kids and toddlers!)

Just up the drag from you, 87 Main Road Curry's Post, (and also via their online store) is Terbodore Coffee roasters. I'm on my 4th KG pack of "The Great Dane" beans, and I'm really enjoying the coffee. "This is Africa" is also very good, and for something different, try the Dutch chocolate flavoured beans. Not for the purist the last one, but really easy drinking (even for kids and toddlers!)

This is one of my favorite stores! 

Their coffee is amazing! 

This is one of my favorite stores! 

Their coffee is amazing! 

Super coffee, good online service, lekker dog to jol with when you go to their plaas, and interesting ideas like their flavoured coffee :) :)

I would be super annoyed if my aeropress was doing that. My wife mostly drinks tea so the aeropress is my go to device for a quick decent cuppa.

I checked mine out, its about 2 years old and the original design, cant really see how it would squirt coffee out though so maybe a good thing then.

Are you using normal filter papers?

Im a big fan of the coffee these guys roast:

https://mastertonscoffee.co.za/

I often order online when I know someone coming through and get them to collect but they also have a courier service.

Thanks guys. I went browsing around and it seems that there are a few people offering subscription packages. Great idea that! Going to have a look and see whats available and get it delivered to my door :)

The importer of the aeropress posted a few pages earlier in the thread - ping him on how to sort yours out...

On then subscription service - just make sure you are getting fresh roasted coffee... 2 weeks post roast... hard to do for subscription services in Sa given few roasters put roast dates on their packaging....

Definately give lineage a go...

Have to agree on those subscription moves. Generally the coffee won't be at optimum freshness. Had flavoured coffee before however they are generally very oily and will impact flavours on the burrs I would think?

Have to agree on those subscription moves. Generally the coffee won't be at optimum freshness. Had flavoured coffee before however they are generally very oily and will impact flavours on the burrs I would think?

I know that some places wont let you order flavoured beans, they normally grind them for you and have a separate grinder specifically for flavours.