Coffee machine

Not a fan of flavoured coffee myself. The only people that I have gottem beans from locally that have a roast date on is Columbo. Might just be worth the drive... will also give lineage a go. Truth is also an option.

@V12 Will drop him a mail on Tuesday and see what he says

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be super annoyed if my aeropress was doing that. My wife mostly drinks tea so the aeropress is my go to device for a quick decent cuppa.

I checked mine out, its about 2 years old and the original design, cant really see how it would squirt coffee out though so maybe a good thing then.

Are you using normal filter papers?

Im a big fan of the coffee these guys roast:

https://mastertonscoffee.co.za/

I often order online when I know someone coming through and get them to collect but they also have a courier service.

My wife is also a tea drinker. I have 2 cups of coffee a day so I like i enjoy them. Aeropress was doing that until the seal issue. I use the Able steel filter instead of the paper filters

Would have loved to have read all 284 pages, but made page 200 the starting point and took me all week but i managed to get through around 80 pages during which i learnt a heck of a lot bout coffee but its really only a drop in the ocean compared to what is out there.

So i am going to make a start with an AP and get it from Truth along with some beans. I consider it a 'pay back' for the knowledge i gathered from iteachcoffee. Thanks dude.

next step is the grinder. I am looking for an average grinder that will do the job. Any suggestions?

Then the scale. I am regarding this as the least important item and i could probably do without it for now.

I guess what i am after is a decent cup of coffee. Instant coffee is not up to scratch and i disliked Nespresso even before i found this thread.

I am also not keen on being bankrupt in the search of the perfect cup. cycling is doing a good enough job of chowing my disposable income.????

My wife is also a tea drinker. I have 2 cups of coffee a day so I like i enjoy them. Aeropress was doing that until the seal issue. I use the Able steel filter instead of the paper filters

Fine or coarse version?

Im just wondering if there is too much pressure and the newer seals are bad quality.

I have been considering one of those Able filters for a while, I like the idea of reusable stuff.

Would have loved to have read all 284 pages, but made page 200 the starting point and took me all week but i managed to get through around 80 pages during which i learnt a heck of a lot bout coffee but its really only a drop in the ocean compared to what is out there.

So i am going to make a start with an AP and get it from Truth along with some beans. I consider it a 'pay back' for the knowledge i gathered from iteachcoffee. Thanks dude.

next step is the grinder. I am looking for an average grinder that will do the job. Any suggestions?

Then the scale. I am regarding this as the least important item and i could probably do without it for now.

I guess what i am after is a decent cup of coffee. Instant coffee is not up to scratch and i disliked Nespresso even before i found this thread.

I am also not keen on being bankrupt in the search of the perfect cup. cycling is doing a good enough job of chowing my disposable income.

Porlex mini as mentioned will do a good job.

You really dont need to weigh anything, the key is consistency so just figure out how many scoops of grounds to use and stick to that. Aeropress is remarkably simple and surprised the heck out of me with regards to quality.

@Grebel; maybe try Coffee Merchants near bottom of Rinaldo Rd / Old N Coast Rd.  I enjoyed the last batch I bought there and reasonably priced.  They also do courses etc; not that I have done one.

My Aeropress also has some blow past but quite old and barrel is rough. The new ones do not seem that great quality wise?

@Grebel; maybe try Coffee Merchants near bottom of Rinaldo Rd / Old N Coast Rd. I enjoyed the last batch I bought there and reasonably priced. They also do courses etc; not that I have done one.

My Aeropress also has some blow past but quite old and barrel is rough. The new ones do not seem that great quality wise?

Coffee merchants make good coffee

Fine or coarse version?

Im just wondering if there is too much pressure and the newer seals are bad quality.

I have been considering one of those Able filters for a while, I like the idea of reusable stuff.

Coarse version. Been using it for years with no issues. Had sealng issues with the old AP but that was because the barrel was stuffed. The plastic had wrinkled. That's why I bought a new one.

Would reccomend an Able. Less hassle than the paper filters IMO

Porlex mini as mentioned will do a good job.

You really dont need to weigh anything, the key is consistency so just figure out how many scoops of grounds to use and stick to that. Aeropress is remarkably simple and surprised the heck out of me with regards to quality.

Thanks for the info. I will post my results.

Hi All,

I have a Nuova Simonelli Oscar espresso machine for sale. Have pulled less than 80 shots with it. It is in excellent condition.

Reason for sale - need the worktop space. :drool:

Price is R4k.  You must collect, I live in Sandton.

Please see the photo.

PM me.

Russ.

post-65378-0-88704700-1492594129_thumb.jpg