Coffee machine

Hi all. My wife runs a small catering company from home and caters for corporate functions and various other jobs . She now has an opportunity to move to a venue that will cater on a take away basis, with an attached coffee shop. She will be needing 2 industrial coffee machines that could handle coffee for a couple of hundred people, I'm guessing, so please feel free to give me some advice.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all. My wife runs a small catering company from home and caters for corporate functions and various other jobs . She now has an opportunity to move to a venue that will cater on a take away basis, with an attached coffee shop. She will be needing 2 industrial coffee machines that could handle coffee for a couple of hundred people, I'm guessing, so please feel free to give me some advice.

She should do a barista course first before considering spending any cash on machines

Deluxe rules in my book, even above Truth. Great bunch of guys, weird af, which makes them great in my book

100%

and ontop of it their beans are half the price of truth

contact the guys from http://www.brucoffeeroasters.co.za/ They will set you up with what you need and give you the support and training you need.. Tell them Glenn Watson said they must sort you out nicely 

Guys, I am thinking of down scaling a bit so I might let go of my machine and grinder as a bundle... 

still mulling it over but basically: 

Mazzer Super Jolly Doser 

*Great Condition

*Burrs still good

Grimac Mia - E61 

*Tank version with option to plumb

*Fully serviced and maintained

Anyone looking for a nice single group upgrade... 

Looking at R17k neg for the bundle... 

She should do a barista course first before considering spending any cash on machines

Or get a barista to work for her... But making the perfect cup of coffee makes one feel complete.  And not all coffee machines are equal.  It all depends on what you want to have.  A press button do it all or a more intense barista needs to be awake style machine,  

Both have their plus sides and both have negatives as well.

Just make sure that the person you employ as your barista knows how to maintain your machine as some just do it for the money and not the passion of coffee.

Visit Malas in Pretoria west and go look at their coffee machine.  It is at the pinnacle of abuse and neglect (the "barista" does not even clean the steam wand or blow it out after steaming the milk.

Or get a barista to work for her... But making the perfect cup of coffee makes one feel complete.  And not all coffee machines are equal.  It all depends on what you want to have.  A press button do it all or a more intense barista needs to be awake style machine,  

Both have their plus sides and both have negatives as well.

Just make sure that the person you employ as your barista knows how to maintain your machine as some just do it for the money and not the passion of coffee.

Visit Malas in Pretoria west and go look at their coffee machine.  It is at the pinnacle of abuse and neglect (the "barista" does not even clean the steam wand or blow it out after steaming the milk.

Few Barista's in SA have any clue about the workings or setup of a machine or grinder - or even how to correctly size a machine, and even less on what alternatives are available or the features needed for a commercial machine.

The easiest way to find out is to attend a decent barista course - and definitely not to hire a barista - unless his name happens to be Ishan Natalie or Craig Charity or someone of that level.... AND YOU SPECIFICALLY ASK those questions - it's not normally a feature of commercial barista courses...

Also - how do you know what barista to hire if you don't have an understanding of the basics yourself to ask decent questions...

Thanks for the tip on Malas - I will not even consider a visit... dirty machines make me spitting mad - even if it's not mine.... :)

I'm going with Deluxe too... never a bad cup. Just the right temp always

Ditto! Dangerous thing this having them at the bottom of our office building...

True as well.

Sort of Coffee related but watched a program on Red Bull TV on the Barista world champs.  Worth the watch.  Just got bored and irritated as the true meaning of barista (and the days when the great awakening of me and my love for coffee happened) was lost and became more about a show of making coffee and treats and not the core reason for being a barista... COFFEE!

When I was the local barista, it was all about coffee and making the best darn coffee in town.  Now it is more about art in a cup than about the coffee.  I don't care about the heart shape on my cup, of the leave or even the ghost busters logo you created.  It all comes down to one thing.  The Coffee.  

And Sir you are correct, I was wrong in my thinking, but doing a barista course will help a lot.  Just to get the initial exposure and to see what is out there.  Just don't fall for the get a Nespresso gang of people.  If you do high volume work get a high volume system.  It sucks as a client to have to wait 30 minutes for a cup of espresso because you have an one cup a time system and 150 covers to run.

• 1 month later...

Guys. Sadly selling my Grimac Mia R12k neg

E61

Tanked

Serviced

Black

Awesome

Reason... want a change. Something different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guys. Sadly selling my Grimac Mia R12k neg

E61

Tanked

Serviced

Black

Awesome

Reason... want a change. Something different.

Nespresso time... does your wife want the counter space back?

Nespresso time... does your wife want the counter space back?

Nah. Thinking double boiler or something different.

Hows this setup... dreams i tell you dreams! 

http://www.home-barista.com/forums/userpix/28178_img_20170317_211040_resized_20170317_091134847.jpg

http://www.home-barista.com/forums/userpix/28178_img_20170317_211053_resized_20170317_091134344.jpg