Boast about your latest purchases here...

camerons

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That paint job  :drool:

oh so close to being totally murdered out. love those canyon farmgates. The alignment of the seat stay and the downtube just screams fast. Will win many roofrack/parking lot races ;)

Edited by Capricorn

Facebook gelukkie. Paid R900. That's right baby. 3 figures for a 2012 Giant Modem. This one came with the giro headset and brake contraption too. But I'm far from pulling off any bar spins.

It also has the axle stunt pegs but I took them off for the time being.

I saw the ad a few hours after it was posted and brushed it off as probably stolen. MTB buy and sell group I think it was. No ad for it on bikehub or gumtree. Then I stalked the sellers profile and saw enough evidence to convince me otherwise. Turns out the guy just bought his laaitie a mountain bike to join him on the trails. He outgrew the bmx. Since I was in no danger of outgrowing it myself (its a 19.25 which is bang on my size) I pounced.

So Saturday night I send the guy a message on Facebook. Sunday morning I get a response saying its available. I had a ride planned for Sunday afternoon with a friend so I asked if he minded us venturing out to Stellies since the bike was thereabouts. I had no number. Just the guys facebook. With no prior arrangements to meet up or anything. But we skiet to Stellies anyways and messed about in Eden till about 7pm. I forgot all about the bike but when I checked my fone after the ride I read his response with an address and that he would be home by 7. I gps the address and it turns out he was only 8 minutes away. Still no fone number I dash to the bra's plek. Facebook him from outside his house and out he comes with the bike. Some small talk about local the trails later and she was on my bakkie. Probably my luckiest purchase to date.

Get this though. On my way home I drop my buddy in Hazendal and drive through Bokmakierie to get to Klipfontein road. At the robot some asshole tik kop tries to swipe the bike off the back of the bakkie. I tied it up pretty vas though. When he realised it was tied up he ran away. I may also have reversed into him a bit just to give him a fright. Man I'm glad I tied that bike down the way I did.

A couple months back I rode an old Supergoose. It felt both familiar and nostalgic (I last owned a bmx in 1994) but also completely foreign at the same time. I'm so use to the geo of a mountain bike that it feels almost strange to be back on a bmx after so many years. I will always recommend a DJ bike for anyone that wants something cheap to mess about on. Sharpen skills and so on. But as far as fun for cheap goes. A bmx is in its own league. Been youtubing way too many bmx channels in the last few months since riding that Supergoose. 

Riding it took a while to get use to. But after about 20 minutes of messing about I could bunny hop on and off my stoep which is about 2 steps high. 

If you are use to a mountain bike. You're in for some re-acquaintance before you get comfortable. For some perspective on just how different it is. All my bikes are the right size for me. But compared to the others. Just look at how tiny it is!

sZroqwV.jpg

what you doing with that frame in the corner?

BMX looks sweet!

Yeah, no aircon, avg temp of 30 to 35 during summer. No shorts allowed!! have to do what I can to stay cool.

Get a humidity meter and temp guage - there is a legal threshold beyond which you can't work - you add the percentage humidity and temp in C numbers together or some such - and if it's over the threshold then it's unsafe, and a violation of some health and safety provisions - from memory the threshold is 110 - but don't quote me on that.

edit - I googled this a bit - found a regulation doc - not sure if it's the latest.

“time-weighted average” means the average of a number of representative measurements that are taken over a period of time and that are calculated as follows: Time-Weighted average =      x1t1 + x2t2 + x3t3 + …. + xn.tn                                                   t1, + t2 + t3 + …. + tn where x1, x2, etc., are the observed measurements during the corresponding periods t1, t2, etc., minutes, and t1, + t2 + t3 + …. + tn is the total time in minutes over which the measurements are taken; “WBGT index” means a number which characterises the thermal conditions in the environment to which that number applies; it is calculated by adding seven tenths of the reading in degrees Celsius obtained with a naturally ventilated wet-bulb thermometer to one fifth of the reading in degrees Celsius obtained with a globe thermometer and adding that sum to one tenth of the reading in degrees Celsius obtained with a dry-bulb thermometer; the index may also be obtained by using an electronically integrating direct-reading instrument which has been designed, built and calibrated for that particular purpose;

(4)  Where the time-weighted average WBGT index, determined over a period of one hour, exceeds 30 in the environment in which an employee works, the employer of such employee shall -

(a)  if practicable, take steps to reduce the said index to below 30; or

(b)  where it is not practicable to reduce the said index to below 30 and where hard manual labour is performed-

(i)  have every such employee beforehand and thereafter, at intervals not exceeding one year, certified fit to work in such environment by a registered medical practitioner or a registered nurse according to a protocol prescribed by such practitioner, and every such employee shall, if found fit to work in such environment, be issued with a certificate to that effect by such practitioner or nurse;

(ii)  ensure that every such employee is acclimatised to such working environment before he is required or permitted to work in such environment;

(iii)  inform every such employee of the need to partake of at least 600 millilitres of water every hour;

(iv)  train every such employee in the precautions to be taken to avoid heatstroke; and

(v)  provide the means whereby every such employee can receive prompt first-aid treatment in the event of heatstroke:

Provided that, where the question arises as to whether any particular type of work does in fact constitute hard manual labour, the decision of an inspector shall be decisive.

Source - https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjkz9SFh5jYAhWjK8AKHRK8B5kQFghKMAU&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.labour.gov.za%2FDOL%2Fdownloads%2Flegislation%2Fregulations%2Foccupational-health-and-safety%2FRegulation%2520-%25202281%2520-%2520Environmental%2520regulation%2520for%2520workplaces.doc&usg=AOvVaw2EnYpYOHQ2QgRNd1YWtZD3

Edited by V12man

what you doing with that frame in the corner?

BMX looks sweet!

Its an stp. Probably get around to building it up early next year. Fork and wheels are at droo's. Thats the bike I need a 135mm rear hub for. In no rush though. There's no sense in having two jump bikes. Which ever one the wife decides to keep. I'll just sell the other. 

Edited by popcorn_skollie

Was finally able to complete this build of a new to me Santa Cruz Chameleon, old school 26" version.

Thanks to Grease_Monkey for helping me out with a 30mm stack height stem and of course a big thanks to Recycles for hooking me up with an awesome deal on the frame!

I wanted to take the all important "bike on couch pic" but my girlfriend was home and I really want to keep the bike so this will have to do!

post-74897-0-20095200-1513760928_thumb.jpg

Not as major and expensive as some of the other posts, but just what was needed to keep my trust Solis road bike rolling along smoothly.

http://www.bikerumor.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/american-classic-mtb-interbike09-04.jpg

post-87-0-51782200-1513761968_thumb.jpg

Its an stp. Probably get around to building it up early next year. Fork and wheels are at droo's. Thats the bike I need a 135mm rear hub for. In no rush though. There's no sense in having two jump bikes. Which ever one the wife decides to keep. I'll just sell the other.

Me. First in line. As I keep on reminding you. ????