29ers rule - Olympic 1st and 3rd, 4th, 5th .... etc

kingalton

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It must be kuk to spend tens of thousands on a new bike and have the need to tell the world how good it is. just because deep down they feeling that it just a bike like their old one. Still have to pedal it. Then they see a pro win on a bike that has zip in common with their own bike except the wheels are the same size and they all start screaming i told u so.........insecure muppets

Couldn't have put it better myself.

Well said !!!!!!!!!!!!

Couldn't have put it better myself.

Well said !!!!!!!!!!!!

My 29'er is the best bike I own at the moment, damned thing only has one gear and cost me very little to build up and exceptionally little to maintain.

My other bike is currently in hospital.

Let's be honest, should a 26'er or 27.5 have won there would have been another group of, wait for it and when last did you hear this ....... "ninkumpoops", pardon the spelling, who would have been shooting down the 29'ers again.

Peace, love and happiness you bunch of hippies.

Oh, I had a great ride in amazing weather to work in CT today, just putting it out there.

Another one of those threads.

Gotta love em.

Before Slick and his mates come and judge me for judging, let me have my go.

South Africans, we are our own worst enemy, we carry on like a bunch of niksgewoond agterplaas kinners when they get to the big city for the first time.

650 B and suddenly "I have to have one"

What is the next big buzzword going to be , Dugast ?

hey check my Dugast's, at the braai, yeah I know what you are saying about the race next weekend, I have Dugast.

When are we going to get to a point where riding a bike in a country with incredible summers and some great terrain is all we need, and that we should feel privileged for that.

In S.A. the art of posing is more important than the art of cycling enjoyment.

Regardless of the wheel size.

Gotta love em.

South Africans, we are our own worst enemy, we carry on like a bunch of niksgewoond agterplaas kinners when they get to the big city for the first time.

hey check my Dugast's, at the braai, yeah I know what you are saying about the race next weekend, I have Dugast.

When are we going to get to a point where riding a bike in a country with incredible summers and some great terrain is all we need, and that we should feel privileged for that.

True That :thumbup:

Gotta love em.

The business sector feels the same about posing:

Johannesburg – South Africans are not taking unsecured loans willy-nilly to buy cars. Retail banks say the relationship between the steep growth in unsecured loans and the recent sharp increase in new vehicle sales in a poor economic climate is, according to their data, insignificant.

Unsecured or personal loans are granted on the strength of the borrower’s creditworthiness and no additional security (such as an asset) is required – as would be in the case of secured loans like vehicle finance and home loans.

Chris de Kock, head of sales and marketing at WesBank, says that although in the past three years the bank’s deposits have taken a slight dip as a percentage of its new vehicle financing business, they are not significantly altered.

The bank’s data do not indicate that people are taking personal loans to put down a deposit on a new car, he said.

He said there has always been a market for personal loans to buy used cars because usually the biggest banks only finance cars that are up to five years old. That’s because the vehicle (asset) is used as security for the loan.

Nevertheless, in the past couple of years the used vehicle market has not grown at the rate that unsecured debt has grown and there is consequently no indication that personal loans are being used increasingly to finance used vehicles.

De Kock says even if a consumer can get an unsecured loan after his application for secured credit has been turned down, the value of these loans is generally insufficient to enable him or her to buy a car.

Keith Watson, director of strategy and business support at Standard Bank, also says it is unlikely that people use unsecured debt to a great extent to finance vehicles.

Although all banks advertise unsecured loans of up to around R250 000, very few people qualify for such amounts.

Watson says the interest rates on unsecured loans, because of the risks associated with them, are also considerably higher than those on secured loans.

It would therefore make no sense to take a loan at a higher interest rate to acquire an asset classified as secured, he says.

Watson says it is indeed true that South Africans are very status-conscious.

He believes one of the ways South Africans advertise their status is by displaying their visible wealth – people tend to believe that someone with a certain type of car has a big salary or is wealthy.

Legislation like the National Credit Act has created very good measures to ensure that, before finance is granted, people can afford the items they want to buy, says Watson. He reckons this has largely put a stop to potentially reckless lending.

He also points out that the rising trend of financing vehicles over longer periods with a balloon payment when the agreement expires can be problematic as it takes longer for the outstanding debt to match the value of the vehicle.

If customers want to buy a vehicle later, it will therefore take longer before they can trade in theirs for a value matching the outstanding amount of the loan.

Gotta love em.

I know ... I can't wait for the boys who bought the PYGA's earlier, as they just had to have it, then sell because they need 650b's ... then I would get a hardly used PYGA for a steel !!!!

Well watching the mens and ladies race, I couldnt help but notice how many riders including Burry struggle in climbs especially over rocky sections. I would have like to see the top 5 in an even split of 29ers and 26ers just to see the difference, But to me it looks like it is a bit heavy to pop those wheels over certain areas.

It must be kuk to spend tens of thousands on a new bike and have the need to tell the world how good it is. just because deep down they feeling that it just a bike like their old one. Still have to pedal it. Then they see a pro win on a bike that has zip in common with their own bike except the wheels are the same size and they all start screaming i told u so.........insecure muppets

Well said most people on here should spend less time doing useless research on the net and just ride their bikes....strange that even with the newest equipment the whole time that gets sponsored....yes they will do just as good on a 26"dual....the pro's still need to train and train hard at that....Kulhavy rode a dual 29er while all the others rode hardtails, strange that even with the heavier bike he won. Its all about the training no matter what bike you rode he planned his season well as the Olympics was his goal

Well watching the mens and ladies race, I couldnt help but notice how many riders including Burry struggle in climbs especially over rocky sections. I would have like to see the top 5 in an even split of 29ers and 26ers just to see the difference, But to me it looks like it is a bit heavy to pop those wheels over certain areas.

To be honest, that is the wrong way to try and ascertain as to which wheel size would climb the best.

It's rider dependent.

Yaroslav didn't do too bad.