Fast Rolling MTB Tyres?

Skylark

2 hours ago, V18 said:

Hi guys. Holy thread revive.

Looking for new tyres for my 29er mtb ht commuter. I ride 15km x2/day on mostly asphalt. On the weekends this bike is my green route bike with the kids in tow. 

Had continental race Kings (2.2) front and back on untill now. They are too worn and plugged up after a long year and a half of commuting. Unbelievably fast rolling. Looking for something similar as I can't find them locally. 

Saw the pirelli scorpion XC H.... They look promising. 

Any suggestions will be appreciated. 

good choice or the Kenda Booster Pro if you can find them

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Fred van Vlaanderen said:

Look no further than the Maxxis Aspen that Nino rode in the Epic. Just beware of flatting around every corner. 

Jokes aside, Schwalbe mountain hurricane is pretty fast rolling on the road. 

657.20220322050608.img.jpg

24 minutes ago, Jacques93 said:

Is the aspen not a generally wide tyre?

I was completely joking. On the Epic 2022 thread, there were pages deliberating Nino's rubber choice and I continued the joke here. ;) 

Aspen's are lightweight tyres with minimum tread. Fast on dusty trails but will be fast wearing especially on tar.

👆👆 what he said.

Massive fan of the Aspen's, but only put them on when riding K2C or Trans Bav. 

going back to the old 2012 threads, those Conti race kings last forever and are pretty fast rolling. I wasn't wild about them as a tire choice on the trails but they just wouldn't flipping wear out so I could replace them. If you do some trail riding as well, Specialized fast tracks are well priced, durable, fast rolling on the road but lugs are sufficient for cornering on dirt. 

I recently put  Maxxis Aspens on and found them good rolling on tar and  gravel . I do find that when cornering hard or going into a corner on tar or gravel that they give a initial slide before it catches again  . It took a bit of getting use to but now know what to expect . 

Right. So happy I brought this question to the hub. Good inputs. I did some reading on tests (rolling resistance and handling)... Not much out about the pirelli scorpion H 2.2 XC tyres. 

Since my back tyre takes 80% of the beating, I'll give them a go. Got some off evo for a very good price. Decided to put a more capable front tyre on (pirelli mixed trail 2.4.). Additionally, if they are too draggy, I'll keep them for my main dual sus trail bike as a light summer setup pair as the casings are rather robust apparently. 

Thunder burts were high up there, but apparently wear fast and are narrow AF. 

Still think the race king 2.2 protection is the best tyre for my commuter application. They roll so bloody good!

Cheers guys. Good hearing everyone's opinions! 

On 4/21/2022 at 10:30 PM, OVERDRIVE said:

maxxis: 

657.20220322050608.img.jpg

No that is stupid tyre choice. An Aspen EXO would have been risky, but they went with an “Aspen Race” with a super thin casing which is essentially a slick. Name in “” because no actual name for the tyre they were using. 

OP, Crossmark is a lekker choice if you want a hard wearing tyre that’s gonna spend alot of time on tar. 

Yep those race kings are fast and last forever, on 30id rims they have nice grip on the front, second choice will be spez renegade control 2.25 T5 front and back and about R900 each

Edited by LuckyLuke

On 4/22/2022 at 4:21 PM, OVERDRIVE said:

HGuys whose ridden the Pirelli’s? 

i used them on the gravel bike. they are awsome.

centurato