Team 360Life Suspension: David George busted

Jules

DFSA report

SA Cycling Champion Tests Positive for EPO Doping

Cape Town – 6 November, 2012 – SA Institute for Drug-Free Sport (SAIDS) has announced today that South African cycling champion, David George, has tested positive for the banned drug, EPO (Erythropoietin) and will face a charge of doping at an independent tribunal.

George is one of SA’s top cyclists – a former Olympian, a podium finisher in the Cape Epic, and a former Lance Armstrong teammate on the US Postal Service Cycling team 1999-2000.

George tested positive in an out-of-competition test conducted by the South African Institute for Drug-Free Sport on 29 August 2012, explains Institute for Drug-Free Sport CEO, Khalid Galant. “The blood test showed suspicious activity with regard to possible manipulation of the blood profile and a subsequent urine test came back positive for the banned EPO drug,” he adds.

“His biological passport, which analyses the athletes blood profile indicated suspicious activity and that triggered a targeted test for EPO. EPO testing gives us a window of between 6 and 12 hours for testing because that’s how long it will show up in a test.”

Galant says that EPO is a hormone that artificially increases the red blood cell count therefore increases the athlete’s oxygen carrying capacity, and, in turn, enhances performance.

“The drug is especially beneficial in endurance sports where athletes are competing over long distances in sports like cycling, running and triathlon,” he adds.

“This EPO positive is testament to the work we have done with the athlete biological passport, an essential tool in the fight against doping. “We have warned the sports community a year ago that we would be vigorous in our testing of both blood and urine of SA’s top athletes. We will continue to aggressively target EPO dopers.”

William Newman, President of Cycling South Africa, says George is provisionally suspended with immediate effect from competing in any event and the SAIDS process will now take its course.

“Cycling South Africa respects the independence of the SAIDS process and will respect the outcome,” says Newman. “Cycling SA further reiterates its zero-tolerance to doping in sport and confirms that there is no evidence of this being an endemic problem in the sport in South Africa.”

• Replies 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is this a MTB vs Roadie Isue? He's a profesional cyclist that used illegal substances to boost his performance.

I know road cycling is physical more demanding , but I can see MTB'ers doping for the excactly the same reasons.

How on earth do you back that statement?

Does anyone know - Don't they inform the rider/team before making it public ? Didnt they know before Crater Cruise and Pioneer already ?

Perhaps he decided to take up doping after watching last weekends Carte Blanche? Now he's looking good for a book deal in 3 to 4 years time.

Why is this a MTB vs Roadie Isue? He's a profesional cyclist that used illegal substances to boost his performance.

I know road cycling is physical more demanding whistling.gif , but I can see MTB'ers doping for the excact same reasons.

Physically more demanding? you are kidding right?

perhaps you should get on a MTB and race a bit, its just different, not more or less physically demanding...

I was thinking that as well...

Well after this, and all the talk from various pros apparently knowing about it,I'm sure they will start testing more often.

Why has it taken this long to come out or for him to get caught if its common knowledge amoungst the top guys . I don't believe for one minute he is the only one doping.

How on earth do you back that statement?

By no means other than my own opinion. LOL.

It's a touchy subject for cyclist who conforms to single disciplines.

I am a cyclist. If it has two wheels and pedals, I'll ride it.

Physically more demanding? you are kidding right?

perhaps you should get on a MTB and race a bit, its just different, not more or less physically demanding...

read post #156

How stupid is that?? Wonder if he will also loose all his titles and get a life time ban?

I hope so, there shouldn't even be time span question....strip titles...ban for life...payback winning. Simple