Ride a Cannondale - Risk your life

Think Bike

I'm a recent convert to the sport of cycling. With one Argus under the belt on an old fourth hand bike and a good few hours in the saddle, I'm convinced that cycling is a sport I'd like to retain. Armed with this ambition, and a few months of saving, I purchased my first "proper bike" - a Cannondale Supersix, full carbon frame. You name it, my view of the most enviable brand-name for each component was neatly assembled onto this bike.

To my horror, two months later my world literally fell apart - On returning from a brief early evening ride, I passed my front wheel on an uphill on my return leg. Rest assured, the pavement was left unscathed as my face and hands suffered the brunt of the impact. In the emergency ward later, I was trying to recollect the sequence of events, unsuccessfully. To this day, all I can establish is the "new carbon fork" failed in a symmetrical fashion on both stems.

Worst of all, all Cannondale's local agents were able to afford me is:

a) They understand my situation and sympathise!

B) They can't confirm the root cause of failure;

c) The guarantee on this state of the art bike covers fair wear and tear on the frame - What is fair wear and tear on a frame? Immediate failure, progressive failure, a creeping and propagating crack, loss of life?

c) They replaced the fork free of charge - Thanks!

d) On request for technical standards of manufacture and testing, I received a "specification in Italian"!!!

e) The agent is not taking my call - Nice brand representation!

The reason for ths post is to warn any future and current Cannondale consumer - be sure of the brand and brand support you are purchasing as I for one WILL NOT be riding my Cannondale again, nor purchasing another in the future, hence my post headline.

Albeit that my cycling career has been short, I maintain that it is a great sport, except on a Cannondale.

post-40779-0-22555300-1357073960_thumb.jpg

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got two Cannondale MTB's in the family.

Customer support has been extraordinary, haven't had any faults as yet, both bikes are now more than a year old.

If I had an unlimited budget the first bike i'd buy would always be a Cannondale. no exceptions.

Don't let that chase you away from cycling. Never heard of any thing like that before. Those Cannondale's are great bikes, one day i would love to own one. How long ago did this happen ? Maybe there office is closed around this time of year.

Good luck

I'm a recent convert to the sport of cycling. With one Argus under the belt on an old fourth hand bike and a good few hours in the saddle, I'm convinced that cycling is a sport I'd like to retain. Armed with this ambition, and a few months of saving, I purchased my first "proper bike" - a Cannondale Supersix, full carbon frame. You name it, my view of the most enviable brand-name for each component was neatly assembled onto this bike.

To my horror, two months later my world literally fell apart - On returning from a brief early evening ride, I passed my front wheel on an uphill on my return leg. Rest assured, the pavement was left unscathed as my face and hands suffered the brunt of the impact. In the emergency ward later, I was trying to recollect the sequence of events, unsuccessfully. To this day, all I can establish is the "new carbon fork" failed in a symmetrical fashion on both stems.

Worst of all, all Cannondale's local agents were able to afford me is:

a) They understand my situation and sympathise!

B) They can't confirm the root cause of failure;

c) The guarantee on this state of the art bike covers fair wear and tear on the frame - What is fair wear and tear on a frame? Immediate failure, progressive failure, a creeping and propagating crack, loss of life?

c) They replaced the fork free of charge - Thanks!

d) On request for technical standards of manufacture and testing, I received a "specification in Italian"!!!

e) The agent is not taking my call - Nice brand representation!

The reason for ths post is to warn any future and current Cannondale consumer - be sure of the brand and brand support you are purchasing as I for one WILL NOT be riding my Cannondale again, nor purchasing another in the future, hence my post headline.

Albeit that my cycling career has been short, I maintain that it is a great sport, except on a Cannondale.

post-40779-0-22555300-1357073960_thumb.jpg

You must be the first person I've come across that have had issues with agents(know of many happy Cannondale riders). To me this looks more like a Cannondale bashing post rather than an actual complaint against the distributor

I've been riding Cannondale for over 15 years on the National circuit, I've never had a cracked frme /fork, just component failures.

The New agents service is superb to say the least.

I'm sure there's more to this story ..

" JRA " ....... Just Riding along .... and then suddenly....BANG!!??

6 Cannondales owned and would not go back to any other brand.

Omnico closed like most other companies for Christmas break possibly.

Funny - I moved to Cannondale because I broke another manufacture`s frame.

First post and you are having a good Cannondale bashing session - agree with Chunky, possibly more to this.

Every production line has a 'dud'.

Really glad you're okay.

that is true, but it's how the agents handle it that makes the brands reputation.

They replaced the fork free of charge, not sure what more he is looking for.

I've been riding Cannondale for over 15 years on the National circuit, I've never had a cracked frme /fork, just component failures.

The New agents service is superb to say the least.

I'm sure there's more to this story ..

" JRA " ....... Just Riding along .... and then suddenly....BANG!!??

Correctamundo

I've never owned a Canondale, so can't comment on first hand experience, but heard of some failures on cannondales more than on other brands of bikes. Hence crack-endale

2 things:

1. Buy a GIANT whistling.gif

&

2. NO, I didn't say a plastic one ph34r.png

Imagine if you had a lefty... your ride would have come to an end in half that time :lol:

They call them "Crack-n-fails" for a reason

Now don't get me wrong... I own a carbon Dale (mtb, with fox fork). I replaced the frame with an Intense alu. I feel a lot safer now.

I have never quite trusted plastic bikes... but if someone is willing to donate a Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon, I am willing to work on those trust issues :lol:

I have sympathy with you but bashing the supplier, will not get you anywhere.

You should rather have mentioned your story and suggested that everybody with a similar fork, should have it checked out immediately for cracks or material failure.

As a matter of fact, Omnico or Cannondale should recall all similar forks for a checkup, similar to what Toyota etc had to do a while ago to show that in this instance rider safety, is crucial to them. Anything less would be seen as how much $$$ can they make out of riders, and not care about safety issues.

Perhaps somebody must design an airbag linked to your helmet and Camelbag, to improve rider safety hehe