Idiotic cyclists .

Wyatt Earp

Cyclists can be their own worst enemy.  

140 members have voted

1. 1. Can they possibly be ?

• Yes
    • No

When I am a motorist I get annoyed by truck driving slowly / older people etc! I don't deal with my annoyance by try to put that person at risk - they have as much right to be on the road as I do - why suddenly as a cyclist should motorist feel any different? Why should they now take their annoyance out on that person which is causing them to drive slow? Are they so stupid and feel so superior? Motorist cannot insist that a truck drives in the yellow line because you want too pass why should motorist behavior be any different towards cyclist? Are they so stupid and feel so superior? If I am a cyclist am ridding on my own on the SA roads I will always ride where I feel it is safe for me to do so in the left lane, which is within my rights as a road user. This is actually a case of cyclist (including myself) been considerate and ride predominately on the left for predominately inconsiderate motorist. How often it happen to me I will be ride on the left motorist passing etc then a motorist want to turn right - the motorist behind go straight for the payment to try get through a gap which they cannot (its a single lane) - now this motorist has just passed me now blocking my path - WHY because motorist in general are very inconsiderate and probably to dam stupid!

Icycling, the point is that not everyone is the same, you have yourself made this very clear in your write up....you are a lot more patient and considerate than the person you describe in your last few sentances (the damn stupid person) and those damn stupid people "will" put you at risk if you wander into the middle of the road or do not stick to the edge of the road. This is a non debate for me as we will keep ending up at the same points made up top, it is a fact we see it when we are out cycling (I am not debating what is right or wrong) eg, I did not say it is illegal to ride in the middle of the road, I merely pointed out that if this was done a person would annoy a lot of motorists.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But thats exactly what you have indicated what you want to see - now maybe through this thread you may see the road through the eye's of a cyclist when next you in your motor vehicle overtaking a cyclist who is a bit further from the payment than you would like that cyclist to be {because you have a red light a head no doubt}!

Great thanks and maybe I should even try cycling, to, you know experience it first hand.

The fact is, I have to apply the same people principle to cycling as I do to every other facet of life:

EVERYONE ELSE IS A COMPLETE AND UTTER IDIOT, UNTIL SUCH TIME AS THEY PROVE THEMSELVES OTHERWISE.

I use this for work, for social situations, when buying, when selling, when driving, when cycling.

May sound harsh, but it saves a lot of crap down the line... And keeps me alive...

The fact is, I have to apply the same people principle to cycling as I do to every other facet of life:

EVERYONE ELSE IS A COMPLETE AND UTTER IDIOT, UNTIL SUCH TIME AS THEY PROVE THEMSELVES OTHERWISE.

I use this for work, for social situations, when buying, when selling, when driving, when cycling.

May sound harsh, but it saves a lot of crap down the line... And keeps me alive...

CAPS LOCK is a capital offence on the hub,,, just saying

Great thanks and maybe I should even try cycling, to, you know experience it first hand.

Assuming you have not tried road cycling maybe you should - I do about 500km per week and have done for close to this amount for the last 30 years on avg - I could almost say I have seen it all! But then 5 weeks back I broke my collar bone again - hit some oil, descending Constantia Nek, left on the road by a previous (car) accident that day - without any warning front wheel came out from me and I was sliding into on coming traffic (we at this point had ZERO control), my friend rode over me and ended up stopping with his head against the bumper of the car coming up! But been fairly resilient sportsmen both of us raced in the Cape last week and this week - my friend won last weeks race and was 5th this week. I pulled off with 1 lap to go last week as 4 week is not enough time for a collar bone sprint are pretty hairy! This week I finish and think I am back on track for World Champs in October! The irony of this accident is both the cars coming up the Nek and the car behind us waited for about 30 min to and hour for us to be collected and be on the way to hospital many motorist stopped and asked if all of us were sorted! One of them gave my friend a lift to the hospital about 15km away in the opposite direction to which he was travelleing. The lady coming up the Nek who was on her way to her hair appointment and cancelled it immediately so she could wait to make sure we were looked after! My conclusion on all this was the motorist who saw what happened were in complete shock and suddenly saw 1st hand how venerable cyclist are - and yes we are - non of them were at fault, but I do think these motorist will for now at least offer cyclist they encounter on the roads a little more time / room!

Why do I mention this - well as a motorist you only get exposed to about half of what a cyclist deals with from bad weather to bad road (remember our tires are 23mm wide and between back and front have about 3 square centimeter of contact with the road), bad drivers not to mention fatigue after rider over 150km etc! So the next time a motorist brushes past a cyclist remember that cyclist is actually at the mercy of the motorist hands - note my change of pic!

I can also say in 30 years of road cycling I have never been hit from behind by a motorist and most of my cycling accidence have not involved cars directly at all - normally in cycle races or like above bad roads!

Some motorists are complete idiots and I can't not post this.

On our ride yesterday, 2 of us took the road bikes out for a spin around Cullinan and back. A few k's from home coming up Hans Strijdom/Solomon M. Rd (just after Lynnwood Rd) we stopped at the Wapadrand traffic light (at that point the yellow lane becomes a lane to turn left towards Mica.) As the light turns green and we start going, a car approaching from behind to turn left starts hooting at us. We look back to figure WTF is this guy smoking to realise it was one of our mates being a tjop. Anyway, suddenly Mr. @rseh0le in his new Porsche Boxter that is on our right starts hooting/swearing at us "joining in" on our mates "complaining", which had nothing to do with him and in no way affected him. The guy was driving at our pace to voice his opinion, after some words were exchanged and he drove off, I couldn't believe what had just happened.

Silly motorists. :unsure:

As long as he is not drinking and riding, he could spill.

You're doing it wrong.

post-16445-0-99980300-1372081570_thumb.jpg

When the road narrows or something, I use hand signals (no not the middle finger) and turn to make sure the approaching motorist sees me.

At all times, I've had motorist correspond and yield.

Let us respect through communication, instead of 'ignorant' (ignoring) riding.

When the road narrows or something, I use hand signals (no not the middle finger) and turn to make sure the approaching motorist sees me.

At all times, I've had motorist correspond and yield.

Let us respect through communication, instead of 'ignorant' (ignoring) riding.

I find the same: I if I anticipate and signal my intensions (communicate effectively), motorists simply make way.

I love koeksisters, make sure they have them at the wake .

If you ride in the gutter frankly you are an idiot. Cars won't thank you for it, they will give you the same amount of space, meaning you have nowhere to go when they cut you up. Twenty years of riding on the road at both ends of the planet taught me this.

If you ride in the gutter frankly you are an idiot. Cars won't thank you for it, they will give you the same amount of space, meaning you have nowhere to go when they cut you up. Twenty years of riding on the road at both ends of the planet taught me this.

You are awesome .