The Burry case: Dropping and reinstating of charges

TimW

Was the taxi driver actually turning into the road at the intersection or was he attempting a u-turn?

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Was the taxi driver actually turning into the road at the intersection or was he attempting a u-turn?

I think those are questions we will never get the truth of.

Edited by Wyatt Earp

I must be missing something. I thought this was considered a normal traffic accident?

Surely you can't expect to lynch every motorist who is involved in a collision with a cyclist.

If they are culpable you can...

Will we ever get the truth? I feel for the Stander family as they seek closure on this issue so that they may let Burry finally rest in peace and put their own minds to rest.

From what I can understand he was turning right to go down a side road that goes around the traffic, he either didn't look properly or was in to much of a hurry and took a tight gap.

It was negligent driving and he and all the other negligent drivers should be punished.

Bottom line is, he killed someone.

I'm feeling so sorry for the Standers golfing to get closure.

That said, I do wish for a fair legal process here - which is unlikely in this country, be it a taxi driver, a Fortuner driver or a truck driver.

What I generally don't understand is why in SA speed limits, especially lower ones ( 60/80) seem to be ignored by everyone. I get hooted at when driving 60 in a 60 zone, sworn at by everyone on their school run / office run. If speed traps are set up we post them on pigspotter or claim police are just ripping us of. Then we flash our lights at other speeding drivers to warn them. If that's the attitude, we do have a lot to change, and sentencing one reckless driver must be the first step.

I'm feeling so sorry for the Standers trying to get closure.

That said, I do wish for a fair legal process here - which is unlikely in this country, be it a taxi driver, a Fortuner driver or a truck driver.

What I generally don't understand is why in SA speed limits, especially lower ones ( 60/80) seem to be ignored by everyone. I get hooted at when driving 60 in a 60 zone, sworn at by everyone on their school run / office run. If speed traps are set up we post them on pigspotter or claim police are just ripping us of. Then we flash our lights at other speeding drivers to warn them. If that's the attitude, we do have a lot to change, and sentencing one reckless driver must be the first step.

Edited by ibruegge

Irrelevant

Either way he turned in the face of oncoming traffic and killed someone.

Irrelevant

Either way he turned in the face of oncoming traffic and killed someone.

It is relevant!

Making a u-turn at that particular intersection would be illegal including the fact that he turned right in front of oncoming traffic and killed Burry Stander. All the facts needs to be looked at, nothing skimped.

Personally, I want this taxi driver to pay dearly for taking Burry's life, as much as the law would allow, for his recklessness and the ruling must set a president for all other road users driving their weapons of mass destruction on OUR roads to think twice before putting any fellow road users, pedestrians, commuters, cyclists, joggers, etc. lives at risk.

It is relevant!

Making a u-turn at that particular intersection would be illegal including the fact that he turned right in front of oncoming traffic and killed Burry Stander. All the facts needs to be looked at, nothing skimped.

Personally, I want this taxi driver to pay dearly for taking Burry's life, as much as the law would allow, for his recklessness and the ruling must set a president for all other road users driving their weapons of mass destruction on OUR roads to think twice before putting any fellow road users, pedestrians, commuters, cyclists, joggers, etc. lives at risk.

What are you ranting about.We all want him to pay the consequences

The original eyewitness report is that he turned into the side road FYI

I

What are you ranting about.We all want him to pay the consequences

The original eyewitness report is that he turned into the side road FYI

I

That's why I asked earlier...rant off.

40 people die on the roads here every day so its pretty obvious that the enforcement and justice systems are not working. It's no surprise, then, that Burry's case also suffers from this.

I think that his people have a much better chance of getting somewhere with this case, than virtually anyone else because of his high profile. The outcry has started immediately so we'll see what the system can produce under pressure.

For the 1,000s of others, well I dont know, seems like there's nothing & that includes the recreational cyclists, regularly culled.

Unfortunately this is not going to happen. Refer my previous post.

This is going straight under the carpet. Terrible to say this. The legal system simply does not/will not work. Fact.

Nobody is defending the taxi driver.

The majority of them behave like a-holes, but the fact remains it was initially reported as a hit and run (which it wasn't), and now it is simply assumed that the driver was in the wrong.

That's not how it works, for a taxi driver or any other motorist.

Further, to assume that the driver is automatically wrong because Burry was a "pro bike handler" is ludicrous.

Agreed

If this needs funds to fight, trust me, people will help, sick of the way justice is over looked in Africa!