Nice Technical analysis of the 26, 27.5 and 29er technology

awesme

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Johan

In the end, ride what you want, have fun on your bike.

G

After reading through all that post-rationalized bumph, I can sum it up like this: Right in the middle.

How awesome would it be is we could step into the LBS and ride all 3 wheel sizes in the bike we wanted then settle on the right one?

Ahhhh pipe dreams....

Nice article. but if I had to read through every article on this debate on what wheel size then you will still come up with the conclusion that ride what works for you.

A quick one: on the comparative contact patch, is more better in sticky clay-like mud? With a 29er it feels felt like it's worse.. suction formed??

would agree.

If you think of the old williy's jeep. was is amazing in mud, because of the marie biscut wheels.

in loose sand, bigger contact patch is better.

in wet a thinner profile is better, cuts through the water.

G

A quick one: on the comparative contact patch, is more better in sticky clay-like mud? With a 29er it feels felt like it's worse.. suction formed??

The logic that Giant uses baffles me.

They say "lighter than 29er but more grip than 26er" - I say "heavier than 26er with less grip than a 29er". Tomato tomayto - it all depends on what you want from a wheel.

So true, I guess 'they' will argue it whichever way suites what they want to sell prove ?

and any marketing/sales department will always follow this principal.

it's for the seller to always be aware that there is always a 2nd or 3rd view and make themself aware of the content and then decide which is more important.

in the end, get out there, and ride the bike/s.

My case, I upgraded from a 26 to a 650b and I love the new ride, I'm sure a 29er from a good brand might have given me a similar experience, my case, I just like the brand which I decided to invest in.

rode yesterday again, ended with a smile on some technical sections again where I previously had problems.

G

So true, I guess 'they' will argue it whichever way suites what they want to sell prove ?

The logic that Giant uses baffles me.

They say "lighter than 29er but more grip than 26er" - I say "heavier than 26er with less grip than a 29er". Tomato tomayto - it all depends on what you want from a wheel.

Best of both, worst of both....poison...choose it

funny....the Big S is not looking at 650B at all. They have just increased there 29er range.

so what are they saying...

lets explore the 27.5 market now, we have done the 29er already?