94.7 Cycle Challenge 2013

StevieL

I enjoyed that last climb, I had a lady hanging off my left pocket and my right hand on another ladies bum :blush:

You are a real super hero Wyatt

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoyed that last climb, I had a lady hanging off my left pocket and my right hand on another ladies bum :blush:

MACHINE

To all those who complained about the cost of this event I'd like to point out a few items:

Firstly, my house is on the route (Douglas Drive), for a few days before the event the pavements were cleaned up, the road was cleaned and one or two potholes were sorted out. This was not done by the town council but privately and probably paid for by the organisers.

Road closure items like barriers etc. were delivered lateish on Saturday evening and were gone by 15h00 yesterday afternoon. Water and bananas etc. on the route were cold at every point I stopped at.

The start and finish went off without a hitch. I saw plenty of serious looking accidents and if there were no medics there already, I could hear the emergency vehicles coming up behind me on every occasion. I'll bet those poor cyclists who were taken care of by the medics found good value in their entry fee.

Frankly, the well oiled machine that I witnessed yesterday and the peace of mind I had knowing that in the event of an off I would be sorted quickly is worth every penny spent on entry fees, especially considering the fact that I had one or two riders moving across my line and almost taking me out more yesterday than I've seen in the past.

Great event once again and looking forward to next year already.

My time was 4:08 and some change.

I also live on Douglas Drive. Must say I agree with all the above. Great route and event.

Battled a stomach bug since Thursday and my mantra for yesterday was 'do not follow through in your shorts'

Struggled hard to keep the pukes away but managed just on 3hrs..

Sub 3 next year

it was a great day out and well done to everyone who was involved and took part

My time was 7 hours :) , Was my first time and with my mtb, took it really slow for the first half of the race just to keep some energy for the n14 which I walked up. It was so hot..Im glad I finished before the cut off time. I will get a road bike and try again next year and aim for a good time. I really enjoyed it!

Well done on finishing, i can only imagine how hot is must have been out there for riders on the course around midday.

Cycle (start 7:15am)

Avg Temperature:25.7 °CMin Temperature:19.0 °CMax Temperature:34.0 °C

Walk to car (start 2:15pm)

Avg Temperature:34.0 °CMin Temperature:28.0 °CMax Temperature:38.0 °C

Edited by scotty

Saw a guy riding for cerebral palsy towing a kid with cerebral palsy, that kinda reminded me to HTFU, so although it was a bad day for me, with suffering and riding granny gear up every bump and also taking a tumble when a guy rode into my back wheel buckling it, imagining what that rider must have gone through kept me going. Limped/wobbled home in 3.38.

That's David who is one of the directors of the Paige Project. Awesome guy and fantastic charity!

great race did 3h03 with a flat in the first 10 km, the most difficult climb for me was the first one going into joburg

Great race yesterday, very happy with my 2:38.

When I finished just after 9am, it was already over 30 degrees, so massive respect to all those cyclists that rode through the midday sun and heat.

Yap me too - PB for me yesterday! Few of my buddies also don't have results yet so best is to hang on a day or two and then see.

Yes Im also still missing will wait and see

Amazing event. Well worth the entry fee.

Missed my target by 10 minutes but beat last years time by 50 minutes. 3:25.

Imagine the putting that show together... mind-blowing. Well done 94.7 peoples.

Edited by Spinsei

2:57 for me on the first lap. All and all a nice pace without suffering too much. I did however push one or 2 of our riders up some of the hills so that we could all finish sub 3.

Lap 2 was tough! did it in +- 7hours. Pushed ice-cream bikes and fellow cows. And those 'leather' suits didn't make it any easier. Imagine riding in that heat whilst wrapped in plastic - that was how it felt. But it is what we sign up for every year, and it is very rewarding.

To all those who complained about the cost of this event I'd like to point out a few items:

Firstly, my house is on the route (Douglas Drive), for a few days before the event the pavements were cleaned up, the road was cleaned and one or two potholes were sorted out. This was not done by the town council but privately and probably paid for by the organisers.

Road closure items like barriers etc. were delivered lateish on Saturday evening and were gone by 15h00 yesterday afternoon. Water and bananas etc. on the route were cold at every point I stopped at.

The start and finish went off without a hitch. I saw plenty of serious looking accidents and if there were no medics there already, I could hear the emergency vehicles coming up behind me on every occasion. I'll bet those poor cyclists who were taken care of by the medics found good value in their entry fee.

Frankly, the well oiled machine that I witnessed yesterday and the peace of mind I had knowing that in the event of an off I would be sorted quickly is worth every penny spent on entry fees, especially considering the fact that I had one or two riders moving across my line and almost taking me out more yesterday than I've seen in the past.

Great event once again and looking forward to next year already.

My time was 4:08 and some change.

+1.

It's the small things (that take up a lot of logistics) that really make this an amazing event:

- Marking every single pothole and manhole on the route with bright spray-paint.

- Covering gaps, cracks and humps in the road surface with those rubber liners across the entire route.

- LOTS OF TOILETS INSIDE THE STARTING PENS!

- Very frequent traffic updates on the radio (obviously on 94.7 Highveld) on road closures and reopening, race progress etc.

- Support. Everywhere. From mechanical to medical.

...and I can go on.

The event is now really giving the ARGUS a run for it's money, IMO.