27.5" vs 29"

KleinLenise

So,

I'm wondering what is better? And I really need some opinions on this. Saw a 27.5" Fondriest at the Three towers this weekend and its beautiful!!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think that it is worth going slightly bigger than a 26'er. If you going bigger then you might as well go the whole way and get a 29'er. Otherwise you just getting a half benefit.

I have a 26'er and last week I was very kindly given a 29'er as a present with my first proper ride yesterday. There is a big difference from my 26'er. So I think the better option is to just go for the 29'er (preferably) or 26'er and skip the 27.5/650b etc.

It depends on how tall you are....

My gf has just got a 29'er and she is quite short. Has no problems at all on it.

Wait till you hit the single track. Then you will feel the ox-wagon tenancies if you are riding a Small or Med. 26" is still the bomb on tight ST, then 650B then 29'r.

But then again 90% of the new MTB'rs cant ride single track on a 26" anyway. so get what you want.

Ho ja remember in 2 years, if that long, you won't be able to give a 29'r away.

Sure, there are advantages and disadvantages to all. But if you going bigger than 26'er then you might as well go 29'er. And not all single track is perfect 26'er territory.

Single track just takes practice. If you ride it enough you will know how your bike responds and can be quick on anything.

grappeling with same question, thing is at 1.67m tall will need small frame and many says on 29er they dont work out so well, something about the pedal positioning etc, so now i am still on 26er and wait for this whole thing to play out.., but if there are any non trollers who can add value to the debate ould be keen to hear

I'm 1.65m and 65kg

I can't comment on riding a 27.5".... never has & probably never will :-)

But I had a 26" Silverback Phoenix for 1 & 1/2 years - small frame.

Then I went to a 29" Giant Anthem X29 - also a small frame. I had this bike for over 3 years.

I've now build myselft a 29" bike (went to a carbon frame) - also a small frame.

My opinion is that the 29er is a much easier ride - over technical terrain. The 29er has less rolling resistance, more momentum. I've never considered going back to a 26" bike. For a small person like myself the stand-over height on the 29er is not "very comfortable" (to close for comfort to the plumbing...). However... I stand over my bike at the start of the race and maybe once or twice in a race waiting for traffic - so, this should not be a consideration in your decision. In terms of the setup and positioning... I've NEVER had any problems setting up the bike based on pedal positioning, etc. I did my setup on the Giant and then went for professional bike fitting and my setup was perfect (no adjustments - other than stack height). So, I think this pedal positions / setup sounds like BS.

What I will say, I do think for a small person the lager (29er) take some time to get used to manuvering the bike (short twist and turns). I am however a better mountainbiker today than I was 3 years ago (riding the 26"). And I do enjoy riding technical races. A statement towards 26" is easier to manuver can be countered with practise, more riding and getting comfortable and convidence in your bike and your riding ability (no big difference between 26" and 29").

If I was 1.67 and consider getting a new bike and have the cash... I would definately go for the 29er... Tjokkits, you will not look back!!! I have never looked back. That's my 2 cents.

Thing about 650b is you can get the advantage of the bigger wheels without nailing your colours to the 29er mast, in fact most people don't notice the diffs between 650b and 26" so you can fly below the radar.