Cyclist down in Cape Town

Madone69

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I was the cyclist I would confiscate the car and keep it as ransom to cover damages and expenses. :devil: The farker will just sober up before handing himself in at the cop shop to claim his car back and the cyclist will end up getting nothing in terms of help. I say, keep the car. Stuff "theft charges"

hmm, ja, I would agree, claim the car. It is a definate tactic to sober up before appearing. His excuse would probably be he ran for help

If I was the cyclist I would confiscate the car and keep it as ransom to cover damages and expenses. :devil: The farker will just sober up before handing himself in at the cop shop to claim his car back and the cyclist will end up getting nothing in terms of help. I say, keep the car. Stuff "theft charges"

then he can be taken on for theft.... not a good idea.

Now throwing the car keys on the nearest roof is a good idea.... but then I doubt the poor cyclist was in a condition to do any of the above.

surely someone driving a Karmann Ghia should be very easy to track down?

The problem is, while in hiding he is sobering up, hands himself over a day or so later and make a statement that he was so shocked he ran. Wouldn't running away from an accident scene have a lesser sentence/conviction compared to a dui?

A tactic to run and sober up, then reappear when the booze levels are down. Hairy, I would think the consequence of leaving the scene is less severe than dui.
It should default to an automatic dui in my opinion.

then he can be taken on for theft.... not a good idea.

Now throwing the car keys on the nearest roof is a good idea.... but then I doubt the poor cyclist was in a condition to do any of the above.

Yes I know, but hell, there must be a way of doing it. How about getting some legal eagles to work out a way for us to do it. Lawyers and court orders will be too slow and costly. The towing companies basically keep your car as ransom until you pay your bill. How can I, as a private person, keep the car until the owner has compensated me for the damage? Without getting slapped for theft, which it clearly is not, in any right, if not legal, mind!

This morning I rode past the scene of yesterday's accident & the car is still on the side of the road with the windscreen shattered. It's a powder blue Kharmann Ghia soft top, reg CW 43511. Hopefully the police will track down the driver!

Edited by peevee

Is there perhaps an Air Cooled Culture sticker on the car? My friend knows a lot of people who belong to that club, so I will get in contact with him quick. Anybody perhaps have a picture of the car?

Is there perhaps an Air Cooled Culture sticker on the car? My friend knows a lot of people who belong to that club, so I will get in contact with him quick. Anybody perhaps have a picture of the car?

Hey Johnw. I'm the person MTB_Roadie where talking about. I just call a friend of mine, and is big in the Kharmann Ghia cars. He will send the photos around between the guys out there. Someone will know who's car it is.

Other best and fast way is to go down to the traffic department, and ask that they must check on the system .

Name & Shame.

All the can do's and should do's. Every man has he's day!!!

My brother and hubber @babse was knocked down end of last year. The driver stopped made sure he was taken to safety and this was the last we heard from guy.

Medical bills were paid by us. Insurance and everything paid by us. Insurance fought with us to get this guys name. SAPS wouldn't give it. Still today not even a text message of a hows things were given. We still don't have a name of this guy. Insurance and SAPS do. The only positive we got, SAPS insisted we open a case of negligence and possibly attemptive what bodily harm or something to that sort.

I say the chap above should do the same.

Biggest problem he'll have is all the running around! That and our justice system sucks

Hey Johnw. I'm the person MTB_Roadie where talking about. I just call a friend of mine, and is big in the Kharmann Ghia cars. He will send the photos around between the guys out there. Someone will know who's car it is.

Other best and fast way is to go down to the traffic department, and ask that they must check on the system .

Thanks Gerlach. Any info will help. There is a case open with SAPS