Helmets optional?!

TheKaiser

Is it just me, or has anybody else noticed an increase in the number of people riding WITHOUT helmets??

Seriously, 5 guys in the last 4 days (in peak traffic and low light conditions as well).

And the Darwin Award goes to.....

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it just me, or has anybody else noticed an increase in the number of people riding WITHOUT helmets??

Seriously, 5 guys in the last 4 days (in peak traffic and low light conditions as well).

And the Darwin Award goes to.....

It's just you.

Although on Friday last week I saw some bloke on the R21 North just before Nelmapius at around 4:00pm. Now that's a Darwin Award candidate. He did have a helmet on though.

What type of riders were they? People training for sports, or commuters?

Couldn't really see, I was zooming southwards at the time. But my guess would be commuter.

Saw a guy a couple of weeks ago on old jhb/pta road at about 5pmish

looked like a typical surfer dude

no helmet and a big pair of headphones :thumbdown:

I was helping to set up the start and finish for a mtb race at 04h15 on Saturday.

The school where the race was held is right alongside the N1.

At 04h30 a dude came riding past on the N1 on a TT bike.

Bandana on the noodle, too cool to wear a lid.

Idiot IMHO

I know that helmets are not optional (they are required by law when riding on a public road in South Africa.) However, I believe this law is bad, and helmets should be optional.

If you would like to know my reasons: please go and do some reading here: http://cyclehelmets.org/.

What type of riders were they? People training for sports, or commuters?

Sports.... Couldn't make out any specific club though. Pity...

Yesterday at 5:30pm in a pumping South East I saw 2 guys riding along the N1 out of Cape Town wobbling all over the yellow line.... and the cycle path was less than 200m away from them.

I know that helmets are not optional (they are required by law when riding on a public road in South Africa.) However, I believe this law is bad, and helmets should be optional.If you would like to know my reasons: please go and do some reading here: http://cyclehelmets.org/.
I'm not sure what you read that leads you to believe the law is a bad thing. I'm curious: which is it? the report into a tenuos connection between increased incidents of NON-head related injuries in children (despite a decrease in the number of adult head injuries), or the apparently increased risk taking by cyclings wearing helmets in dedicated cycling zones, aka areas with infracstructural and social support for COMMUTER cycling (none of which we really have here)? or the other reports with lotsa numbers and strange inferences? Edited by Capricorn

Maybe there is some logic that wearing a helmet promotes risk taking and therefore crashes - who knows. But even if helmets were optional, I'd still wear one until someone can show me a report that says they either offer no protection, or cause head damage. Until then, I don't want the last thought I will ever think to be as I am flying over the handlebars wishing I hadn't relied on other people's stats projects to determine whether I live or die. Even if there's a small chance a helmet may avert that disaster, I'll wear one.