Monthly cycling spend  

146 members have voted

1. 1. How much do you burn through?

• <R500
    • R500 - R1500
    • R1500 - R3500
    • R3500 - R5000
    • >R5000

It's a deep dark pit, once you believe you should spend more on better components, rather than training harder and harnesing the potential of your selected steed!

Apologies, I know you didn't ask for an opinion :mellow:

Well, that's just insane.

Golf, you can buy a better game. Cycling, you can't.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think everyone is going to find cycling getting more expensive judging by the current exchange rates. The good old Randela has just collapsed to R11 to $1 and R18.28 to 1GBP.

It's going to affect prices on all imported cycling goods pretty quickly.

However to get back to the topic, as I said to my missus the other day, I don't smoke, I don't drink much, I've been driving the same car for 7 years, I don't buy flashy designer clothes or the latest gadgets, so I'm happy to spend my money on a past-time that gives me so much joy.

:eek:

I can comfortably say I spend close to R0/month. And I ride two hours a day mon-fri, and at least 8 hours on a weekend.

So you never need spares? Never pay for a coffee or meal during 1 of your weekend rides? I struggle to believe you don't incur any costs at all...

So you never need spares? Never pay for a coffee or meal during 1 of your weekend rides? I struggle to believe you don't incur any costs at all...

Well, a coffee aint gonna "set me back" now, is it?

I train on a 10 year old bike, and I do easily 20 000km on a set of tyres. So you tell me why I need to spend money on "socially acceptable" garbage to get the workout I want.

Edited by Cellar

:eek:

I can comfortably say I spend close to R0/month. And I ride two hours a day mon-fri, and at least 8 hours on a weekend.

Ok so who foots your cycling bill?

At 18 hours a week you are going to go through tyres, chains, cassettes brake pads and shoe cleats.

And even if your bike, clothes, shoes, helmets and gloves last you 3 years that probably will work out at R500.00 per month to replace.

I spend 5000 or more a month on average... Easily.

If I race 3 weekends a month, petrol, food, accom... Then there are your big races like Freedom (20 000), W2W, Tankwa, GR300, expedition Africa........ All these add up for a nice annual total.

I also on average build a new bike every few months so that takes its toll as well.

As a non married, childless human I can honestly say I dont care. I dont spend money on Booze, smokes, drugs, partying... I have no commitment other than to myself and joy is the new Steel frame arriving tomorrow and the wheelset I just built.... The 650b I rode at Atta where nothing matches and the joy I get from the old school Pinarello Galileo I am finishing in between typing....

Yes its expensive and yes I am probably in excess. But I would rather be building bikes, riding bikes and playing than spend money at a dicsco or on my hair and nails and fancy restaurant food.

So I'm probably at the extreme end of the spectrum but funnily enough I dont own anything SUPER fancy. My SIR9 SS is probably the flashest bike in my stable.....

Erm not sure I try not add it up.. but today 30k was hauled out to get everything I need for the upgrade.

I rarely do races these days (mtb). Found that I started having more fun by riding as much as I can wherever. Join a group on weekends. I treat my mistress to something nice once a year (for this I save), and then in between its servicing, lube and other sundry items that you don't really keep track of.

So I guess R500 p/m is about it

Thinking about this question makes my head hurt.

Last year list looks like this:-

Bought

Sc tall boy -2nd hand

Lynskey pro 29er frame - 2nd hand

Momsen ladies 29er - new

Silverback HT 29er - 2nd hand

Garmin Edge

Maintenance

Complete rebuild of other SC tall boy incl front shock

5 schalwbe tyres

Races -with wife

Lowveld Quest